Roll Call: North Carolina

I would think the 4 course membership of Fort Mill/Springfield/Chester/Lancaster may be a good fit. Anywhere from $140-265 depending on type of membership you choose.

2 Likes

Real Refuge Charlotte population boom these days. They’re coming from everywhere.

2 Likes

In the fall all of the finance bros migrate south.

5 Likes

Patagonia Vests are out of stock everywhere

3 Likes

They heard I was leaving, hard to find a bigger draw than that.

Second the Fort Mill/Springfield suggestion. Depending on your age, I’ll plug Rock Hill Country Club here as well. A non-resident junior membership is $215 a month including unrestricted range access and goes up to age 34. I was studying the Fort Mill option for a while, but it made more sense for us to join Rock Hill as my fiance golfs too and we fell into that category (cheaper than Fort Mill and a true private FWIW). Also would depend on your proximity to 77.

1 Like

I love Rock Hill CC. Tillinghast design I am told. Absolutely love it.

1 Like

I’ve played Springfield and while I liked the course it is pretty unwalkable. You can correct me if I am wrong, but looks like the other clubs in that membership are pretty unwalkable too.

Rock Hill looks right up my alley. Little more expensive than Mimosa, but close enough that I would use it way more frequently. Course looks like a good time and walkable.

Fort Mill is very walkable, the back not as much, but I believe they also force carts at certain times on the weekend. If you’re primarily a weekend player, I don’t think you’ll get nearly as much out of their membership as a true private course, place is always crowded and pace of play is bad.

We’ll have you out at Mimosa whenever even if you choose somewhere else :slight_smile: - I think if Rock Hill is a reasonable drive for you it’s hard to beat, I would also put Cabarrus in this bucket (it’s fairly close to me, but I imagine less so from South Charlotte), both courses are pretty even in my book.

Also haven’t seen Salisbury mentioned here, they have a solid non-resident deal as well.

4 Likes

Yeah, Salisbury! I joined 10 months ago and have been loving it. Init and monthly went up slightly after the recent clubhouse renovation but I believe it’s still under $200/mo. No food minimum or range fee for NonRes. Old school Donald Ross that is a great walk and carts are never required. Tee sheet is never full, I think I saw last year had the most rounds ever recorded and it was only like 18k. It’s a drive for sure, takes me just under an hour, so I’ve given up practice. Coincidence my handicap has dropped to an all time low?

5 Likes

I’d join Salisbury just to get the occasional look at @BushwoodCaddie’s aspirational tempo

3 Likes

I only got a 9 hole glimpse, but my oh my, yes. think he was like -2 for that 9.

1 Like

omg yes, was a treat seeing that on PH #3

1 Like

interesting, just 42 minutes from up here in Winston

It can fluctuate wildly depending on IPA levels

4 Likes

Let me know when you want to check it out @Hawk

2 Likes

Definitely!

2 Likes

Let me tell ya, I didn’t enjoy that tempo as it kicked my ass all day. But @BushwoodCaddie couldn’t have been nicer to share a beer with.

5 Likes

The very definition of “aspirational”

1 Like

I know that they have discussed it at our course. In our case, it is not about necessarily about the money (which is odd, because our owner’s are generally all about making a buck). In our case, we have groups of 12-20 old guys who grab the first tee times every Saturday and Sunday. They all walk. While most of golfers can get around in the same time or less when walking, these fellers cannot. There is generally at least one guy in a foursome that walks at what I would call half speed.

The cart fee is to encourage them to take a cart instead of backing up the entire tee sheet. They have not instituted it yet, but I think it may be coming. Sucks for me, because I almost always walk at my course. Then again, I can never get a morning time because of these bastards, so it may not affect me anyway.

1 Like