Roll Call: North Carolina

As someone who would possibly benefit from you choosing Raintree, I cannot stress enough that you should play Mimosa Hills.

2 Likes

Yah Iā€™m going to have to go with mimosa this time round. Just doesnā€™t make sense to drive opposite direction to rain tree then have an almost 4 hour drive after golf to TN. (ESP when Iā€™m waking up at the ass crack of dawn to get on this flight lol).

As I told @JamesHCard - if this trip to TN doesnā€™t make me quit my job, Iā€™ll be back down again and again and will get to make the schedule work out better lol!

5 Likes

Alright, so Iā€™ve been looking for the right forum to scream into the wind about thisā€¦

My wife and I had cookout shakes for the first time on our way out of Charleston a few weeks back. Long road trip ahead, looking forward to these shakes.

First off, there was like zero of the snickers pieces in the cup. Second, youā€™re absolutely right, it was just ice cream. Not drinkable or really even a shake. Third, they blew the bottom out of the cup they mixed it in, and just dropped that blow out cup into a new cup. Hereā€™s the kicker, they left all the styrofoam pieces of the blown out bottom in the original cup mixed in. What I thought were snickers chunks, were actually just styrofoam pieces of the cup.

Initial cookout impression was not good guys. Is this a standard experience? 0 stars.

Never had any of these things happen other than sometimes not having enough of the ingredients, and itā€™s always heavy.

Crazy they just dropped the styrofoam into the new cup.

2 Likes

Go to Tonyā€™s in Gastonia, NC. Donā€™t care where youā€™re starting from. All shakes will be inferior after that.

3 Likes

Never heard of that cup situation, but it is like ice cream. And itā€™s delicous.

1 Like

Gas House!

1 Like

I may be making enemies here, but itā€™s a bad version of the DQ Blizzard. On par w a Sonic Blast.

Blizzards are great, but the cookout milkshake is right there imo! Sonic is garbage juice

1 Like

Man, sorry to hear about that experience. Sounds unusual to me, Iā€™ve been in NC my whole life and never had that sort of thing happen. My usual shake is strawberry cheesecake or in the summer months watermelon, also never had an issue with the amount of food chunks in there. Hopefully you can give it a second chance at some point.

1 Like

I also love cookout, but this is the way

Few months later so I wanted to check again to see if anyone is itching to go and possibly interested in a late 2022/2023 trip to Bandon. The wifey has agreed to accompany me a s spectator but that is really not how I would like to experience Bandon for the first timeā€¦

1 Like

Hmmmmā€¦Good Deal and I need some revenge lol

1 Like

Anyone familiar with Skybrook near Charlotte? Iā€™m coming in to play with my dad in the Member/Guest next weekend, would love to hear some thoughts and expectations!

Hi NC folks!

CA Bay Area gui here doing some scouting for an upcoming trip. Was supposed to go to Scotland with my dad for his 60th bday, but COVID has gotten that trip canceled twice now. We still have our vacation days, and have never been down to NC/Pinehurst for golf and driving down from my parentsā€™ place in VA will be easy. Have been doing a bunch of research but wanted to ask a few questions:

• we have a 2 week window (8/21-9/5) to work with. better to stay in the pinehurst area the whole time and get some duplicate rounds in? Or stretch our wings and visit Raleigh/Durham/Greensboro area? Iā€™m intrigued by a few courses over there (Tot Hill Farm sounds like a must play, always love university courses as well so Duke/UNC/NC State courses all look fun). Current must play public itinerary includes Pinehurst 2/3/4, Mid Pines, Southern Pines, Pine Needles, Tobacco Road.
  • I tend to just book everything myself to save $$$ (did the whole Scotland itinerary on my own), but it seems like you might need to go an agency like Tobacco Road Travel or Talamore Golf Resort (I am kinda confused by their site) to get on at Dormie Club or Mid South Club?
  • Thoughts on getting an AirBnB vs. staying in resort housing? Seems to be more budget-friendly to go this route and just stay onsite 1 night to play #2/#4

Thanks in advance for the info! And if anyone is around those dates, itā€™s just me & my dad right now, would love to meet & play some rounds with any of you if we can get the logistics right.

1 Like

One of my favorite courses in the area. Very hilly and not for walking. Can get soggy but fun course

1 Like

There is some really good golf (and cheap) in the Triad area. Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point. I would not consider it destination golf but if you donā€™t want to play the Pinehurst/Southern pines courses multiple times it could be a good day trip. Personally, I would say stay in the sand hills and play the courses there a few times as opposed to travelling. You can even hit a place like Hyland in Southern pines for a less expensive round and have as good of an experience as just about anywhere else.

Mid South is private but part of the Talamore golf resort. You likley have to book through them. I would be that Tobacco Road Travel can also get you on. I am not sure anyone can get you on Dormie anymore but Tobacco Road would be your best bet for that course.

Tot Hill Farm is not a must play but it is an experience like none other. If you like Stranz courses then make the day trip from the sand hills area. It is only about 40 miles and an easy drive. You may hate it or you may love it but you will remember it. If you do want to play THF buy a group golfer right now. Deal ends in 7 hrs and it will save you $60 on 2 but it does expire halfway through your trip. https://www.groupgolfer.com/

5 Likes

I love crazy golf. Played Royal New Kent in a club tournament in college, and played at a member guest this week at a course Strantz redesigned out here in San Jose. Great timing for that group golfer deal!

1 Like

When you play Tot Hill see if you can get a local to join you ( :raising_hand_man:t4:) or at least buy the $5 yardage book. There are a bunch of ā€œWhat the hell do I do hereā€ shots.

Agree with @grizzly224 that you could do a 2 week trip just in the Southern Pines area and never really get tired of good golf there. If you wanted to do the university courses in the Raleigh-Durham area, Iā€™d probably do them either at the start or end of your trip instead of driving up and back to them from the Southern Pines area. Youā€™re looking at a 60-90 minute drive each way to the university courses from Southern Pines.

I just played NC Stateā€™s course 2 days ago, itā€™s in really good shape except the greens are soft. But thatā€™s to be expected since they are bent grass greens, they have to keep a good deal of water in them so they can get through the summer months.

1 Like