Roll Call: North Carolina

Check the DMs

1 Like

Thanks!

https://www.groupgolfer.com/

this worth buying?

$18 for 18 Holes with Cart and Range Balls at The Valley Golf Course - Formerly Indian Valley Golf Course- in Burlington near Greensboro ($40 Value. Good Any Time until June 1, 2021!)

I’d say yes. The course is ok, but for $18 I’d do it. I’ve known the new Director of golf over there since I was a kid, great guy. Seems to be doing good stuff from what I hear

2 Likes

Yeah I gotta be in RDU for 5 days in early august and stashing rounds for that aint a bad idea whatsoever

1 Like

Indian Valley is decent, some cool holes (2-6), (10-16).

Also Sgt Slaughter has a house on the 14th hole.

2 Likes

The valley has some nice holes along the Haw river. For $18 is is a good deal for the locals. I wouldn’t say it is worth the drive from VA. If you will be in the area anyway you could do worse.

2 Likes

Hit his house one time back in grad school… very quickly drove to the next tee

2 Likes

Playing Tobacco Road on Wednesday afternoon (3/3/21) and had two quick questions for the esteemed gentlemen of this thread. (1) How tough of a walk is it? Looks like NC has had a bunch of rain lately (and will continue probably during our round) and if they are on CPO I would think I walk it unless that is going to crush me (I am 36, in decent running shape and generally walk most of the time at home)

(2) How well does TR drain? I would assume with all the sand base and elevation change it would drain better than Nashville courses do but for anyone in the area is it in danger of being completely soaked?

You will have no trouble walking TR if you are used to normally walking at your home course.

There will be some spots on TR that probably will be soggy, but it will be playable. I played there (with many other Refuge members) on New Year’s Eve and it was a deluge in the middle of the round and we never stopped playing.

2 Likes

Good chance for rain Wednesday. NWS is calling for 0.25-0.5"
above loop is the most recent NAM forecast. Starts Wednesday AM and ends Thursday night.

2 Likes

Not a bad walk at all, some elevation change but most walks are pretty short between tee boxes save one or two… On 3/3 it will almost certainly be cart path only so I would recommend walking (I walked 36 the other day when it was CPO and it seemed vastly preferable)… That said the course does not drain very well so you’ll want waterproof shoes for some aforementioned soggy spots.

1 Like

Not a terrible walk, especially because it will be CPO due the crazy amounts of rain we’ve had over the last couple months. It drains pretty well, and I wouldn’t be too concerned about it being completely soaked. #1 green will probably be the worst green, so don’t think all greens will be the same if #1 green seems pretty wet/a little muddy. Some waste areas (bunkers) may be a little thin/eroded, but not much of an issue due to the local rule of being able to lift and replace in bunkers.

1 Like

random ass ? here…but back in august in southern pines I was not allowed to use the hotel gym cuz of covid, is that still in place? if so Ima super 8 this instead of paying for shit I cant even use.

Good news, The rain associated with the low tracking off the SE coast on Wednesday might hold to the south. Seeing how the forecast has changed a ton over the past week, who really knows.
Something to watch!

5 Likes

Not sure if anyone else purchased CGA passes for Cleveland Country Club in Shelby, but the GF and I are playing at 1:30 on Saturday if anyone wants to join.

I do not know about hotel gyms, but everything else in town as been going with the “do whatever the heck you want” motto for a couple months now despite State Orders. Gyms, yoga studios, etc are open.

3 Likes

Just played it Sunday on a trip down there. Some really wet areas and we played LCP to the driest spot, but it was very playable. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. We all walked and it was just fine.

Couple of long transfers from 9 to 10 and 14 to 15, but very doable.

1 Like

I have a big trip the first weekend in June, and I’m coming down early from Richmond with 2 compadres. The Thurs-Sun is Legacy, Talamore, Pine Needles, Mid South.

The 3 of us are looking for a place to play early afternoon on 6/2. We initially wanted to hit Tobacco Road, but it’s already booked up that day. We played Mid Pines last year and enjoyed it, so that’s an option, but we are initially thinking somewhere different. I understand Southern Pines will be temporary greens in June so that’s out unfortunately. I’ve seen Longleaf discussed a ton so that is an option we’re keeping in mind. Any other suggestions for that general area that we might be missing?

Will that be the day you’re driving in? If you’re stopping on your way in, you could stop in Durham and play Duke, Chapel Hill to play Finley, or Raleigh to play Lonnie Poole. If you’re looking for just a low key, cheaper, warm-up round, you could check out Chapel Ridge in Pittsboro.

1 Like