Roll Call: North Carolina

Any suggestions for something in between Charlotte and the mountains for a Sunday round? Don’t want to go all the way to Asheville or Boone but would like to get a little ways out of town.

mimosa hills. @bmasters or @PowerFadez are your guys

2 Likes

As @tres_carlos said, mimosa would fit the bill perfectly. However I’m not going to make it up there this weekend. I think its going to be rainy all day today, and the greens are on the tail end of recovering from aeration. Happy to host anytime else though!

2 Likes

They 100% are worth the compromise haha I haven’t found a place with better bar food in all my travels.

3 Likes

100% this. I’ve never had bar/pub style food better than CP in my life.

2 Likes

Awesome, need some Fonta Flora in my life sometime soon too. Optimist Hall location just isn’t the same.

1 Like

Yes i NEED to get back up there next weekend, its been over a month since i’ve gotten up there, which is about 4 weeks too long for my tastes. Between the 6 refugees that are members, we’ll get you out there.

mentioned this in the pinehurst thread-- played southern pines for the first time yesterday. It was beautiful, saw Franz himself walk into the clubhouse and grab a cart, then saw the paint markers for the redesign/ restoration. the routing may be one of my favorites I’ve ever played (admittedly, from charlotte, have never played in the pinehurst area before). This course will be amazing once that money gets put into it. Some of the favorite views I’ve seen. Excited for what will happen there. I definitely concerned my wife with how ecstatic I was about the area (mentioned moving within about 5 minutes of stepping on the first tee). Overall, it was amazing and seeing it as a day trip really opens up the possibilites for fun weekends moving forward.

further, and a couple questions for the gallery, what are the favorite courses in the charlotte area for y’all? and what about next time I head to pinehurst, value matters, I’m a teacher and my wife is a nurse, money is always on the mind haha.

2 Likes

sounds like i need to get up there and play it while the greens fee is still low

2 Likes

If you like SP, try Mooresville and Monroe (sometimes you can walk this for like $21) for sure. The front 9 at Fort Mill is great, and Rocky River for something a bit more modern but on the costlier side.

Also, if you’ve never played Charles Sifford, it’s an absolute must.

1 Like

I play monroe probably once a month. love that track.love sifford, love fort mill. rocky river I’ve played recently, it’s fine, just pricey for what I feel is a worse course than monroe. I definitely need to get up to mooresville.

1 Like

Aloha - home base is Mooresville, NC. But also spend a lot of time in Wilkesboro and the Triangle.

Don’t have a “home” course but play most rounds at Oakwoods CC in Wilkes.

3 Likes

Front 9? I he only played there a handful of times but the front is bland to me. Straight holes not much character except hole 2 that I recall hitting approach over pond. The back 9 is when it gets fun to me. Nice little down hill par 3 with trap in front, couple doglegs. The course as a whole is great but I enjoy the character of the back better.

anyone here a member/know a member of Wildcat Cliffs Country Club in Highlands, NC? I have a buddy that bought a house there and needs 1 more sponsor…

Just joining in from High Point. Play most my golf at Colonial CC but try to get around and play pretty much any place that has a first tee and a 19th hole.

6 Likes

Is there still a WhatsApp going for Charlotte? New to the area and would like to get in on that if so. Been looking at places to join but I haven’t been impressed with anywhere I have looked

I’ll hit you in the DMs with the link

If there is a Charlotte specific thread I’d like the link as well. Easier to get there from Gvl.

Got an opening at 9:12 at Sapona in Lexington on Saturday if anyone is interested. $45 to walk or ride

1 Like

im in high point as well, never played CCC but heard good things

welcome!