Roll Call: North Carolina

Not trying to break up the party, but we do have a thread for that, that also includes some great advice.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/gearheads-an-automotive-thread-car-buying-advice/26962?u=double_bogey_dave

Also, want to shout out @Are_you_double_D for winning the gross in his flight at the CGA Tournament today at Tobacco Road.

Afterwards, 4 guis played a 2nd round and @Very.chipper had an all time round breaking par for the first time by quite a bit.

11 Likes

I have a liner in mine and also a tri fold bed cover, I found an old 6x4 carpet in my parents basement that I laid down on the bed and have found it to be very nice to lay clubs down on and to slide the bag across and not worry about scratches. I have simply rolled back the carpet when I needed to haul anything that might be wet. Clubs don’t slide around on the carpet either like they did with just the bare bed liner.

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback.

That was our thought. I was actually disappointed with the cargo space a Tahoe provided for its price. We focused on Traverses instead; also looked at Armadas, and Pilots. If you go Super Crew cab there is plenty of room inside and if you put a bed cover on it you have a bunch of room for cargo space when going on trips.

1 Like

Tried to talk my boys into the NLU event down pinehurst that day but they said 36 was gonna be too much and had to get home, womp.

aug 22- am will be at tobacco road then driving back north home

? for yall, any gems along 220 from NC/VA state line to Asheboro (hotel is there) that I shouldn’t miss hitting that afternoon on 21st? leaving Roanoke at noon or so, should have time for 18 anywhere.
Currently considering…
Jamestown Park (I owe this course a re visit)
GSO Natty
Tot Hill
Possibly swinging out of the way to play goodyear in danville

golfnow had quite the array, and semi cheap too.

NOTES- this group is not a good tight course group, and I personall prefer bent greens but realize this is late august in NC so lets go places with known good greens too

1 Like

7:30 AM Tee time on Sunday with @billythekid at Holly Ridge for our match play match, anyone want to get in on the beat-the-heat tee time? We put it in the RACDG thread but it was overrun by good golf from the guis.

@Fore20, bueller? We have 2 spots open. Should be fun.

4 Likes

Tot Hill, get a full dose of Strantz!

3 Likes

If you know any McConnell members, Old North State is in perfect shape. About 20 minutes from Tot Hill. Tot Hill would be my second rec in that area.

1 Like

Tot hill interests me personally so much, as I’m a stronger iron player than my comrades who are more bomb and gouge .

Asheboro Municipal is an cool 9 hole ross right off the highway in the middle of town, alittle scruffy/strapped style course but lots of fun.

Pinewood CC isnt bad either, greens are usually in great shape, I believe is semi - private and open to the public certain days.

But you cant go wrong with tot hill, first course I remember loving

3 Likes

Right in Asheboro Tot Hill Farm is going to be your best bet. Bent grass greens so they are a little fuzzy right now and if there is a huge rain it doesn’t drain the best but it is an amazing piece of land and fun to play.
Other options are Pinewood Country Club. It is a private club but they have been known to open tee times to non-members. Great course and a true hidden gem. You are coming on a Friday so I don’t think your chances are good getting on but it is worth a call.
Asheboro Country Club is another option. It is owned by Warrior golf and offers some pretty cool holes. It is not a great track but it is set on a pretty nice piece of land. Also bent grass greens that are slow right now and they are keeping the greens wet and soft.
Asheboro Muni is a fun little 9 hole course right in town. Easy to walk and is still an original Donald Ross design. If you are looking for just a fun rounds with the boys you will find it here.
If you are looking to drive a little (15-20 min) go to Holly Ridge on highway 311 in Archdale. Great links style course with a fantastic layout. Really a nice track with some of the best greens in the area.

4 Likes

Tot Hill is right off the HWY too right? Like 220 becomes 73 or something down that way I believe.

Is it worth bringing my poosh cart down and saving the money, or just ride at tot hill and tobacci?

Tot Hill is a little ways off the highway in the middle of no where. You will think you are lost until you get there. It is not very walkable. Lots of elevation and some long walks between greens and tees. I highly recommend a cart. The Muni and Holly Ridge are your best bets if you want to walk.

3 Likes

appreciate that info. My home track is like that too and Im gonna be dying to try this cart but probs just gonna leave it at home this trip rather than have it take up the extra space.

Sad note, the week of aug 16-22 I’m usually in RDU for a trade show and get 3-4 rounds in down in NC and always have a blast. RIP my good week RIP

3 Likes

When you are in Asheboro and if you like craft beer make sure you stop at 4 Saints Brewery in downtown. Great place that is open for social distance drinking or to go beers.

3 Likes

good looking out there! Will def hit that up.

Hello North Carolinians, I am heading down from VA in a couple weeks for a friend’s bachelor party in Wilmington. I am in charge of setting up a couple rounds of golf. Does anyone have any rec’s for that area? Thanks!

1 Like

Need to get more active in here again… currently living in North Raleigh/Wake Forest area.
Always down for a round. Grew up in Brunswick county so know the ins and outs of most of the courses from Leland to the SC border. Just got back from a wild weekend of playing Olde Beau (Roaring Gap), Boone Golf Club, Elk River Club (C-Suite Life), The Cardinal, and my first venture to TR. So I will be taking a little time off to appease the Mrs but will be back in the thick of it here soon!

Get on the muni, castle bay in hampstead is a fun one but a bit of a drive, cape fear national also a bit of a drive and would be a very nice round. ILM unfortunately not a hot spot for public golf in my opinion, gotta head a bit south for the good ones!

2 Likes

I’m a Tot Hill hater (on the record as such), played it twice, cool to look at much less fun to play. If you’ve never played it though and you’re in the area you might as well see it.

2nd’ing the don’t walk advice. I walk 95+% of my rounds and wouldn’t think of walking at Tot Hill. You should bring the cart for the sandhills part of this golf trip though, many good walking courses in the area there.

3 Likes