Roll Call: North Carolina

And how was Sapona?

man, fucking dialedā€¦

absolutely love that place and for $45 on a saturday morning its one of the best values in the triad IMO

the fairways and greens are in stellar condition right now

honestly man, if it was 15 or so minutes closer to the house i would 100% look into membership thereā€¦i really dig the place

A buddy and I are wanting to play Saturday morning but they donā€™t have anything until almost noon. I really want to get down there.

we played at noon last saturdayā€¦it was hot af, but i still had a great time

its a must play IMO

started raining on 17 and i was soaked by that point obviously so just stood out there in the rain and enjoyed it

Ran in to @tres_carlos at Oak Island Country Club today. Spotted his NLU hat and Nest headcover ahead of us. Oak Island is in pretty good shape. Its hotter than 2 rats wrestling in a wool sock out there though. Got Thistle coming up in Thursday. Just need to be able to find the fairwayā€¦

7 Likes

Truck owner question ā€“

I just bought a new truck and Iā€™m looking to put a bed liner or bed mat in it. I wonā€™t be hauling heavy duty stuff very often if at all. I was looking at doing the Rhino Liner or getting Weathertechā€™s bed mat. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of Rhino Liner scratching golf clubs? My woods and putter have club headcovers, but irons are naked; just want to make sure they wouldnā€™t get scratched up from Rhino Liner if I went that route.

1 Like

Iā€™m obviously late to this thread, but I am in Charlotte. Used to belong to Northstone then got a GF and Puppy and stopped playing as much so dropped the membership. Typically play the most at Skybrook (with the boss) or ant of the other public tracks in the area. Always up to play if you guys are.

2 Likes

Have also been wondering this as a truck is on my WTB list.

1 Like

ive played a charity event at northstone the last few years and thoroughly enjoy that placeā€¦would love to play a full round with my own ball there sometime as its a real cool course IMO

We looked a little last year, then decided to wait until the beginning of this year. Got pregnant with our second at the end of last year and decided maybe wait another year. Figured with COVID we could get a good deal so we looked at bigger SUVs for her, but went truck in the end. The Super Crew cabs of the F-150s have plenty of room for carseats and such. Previously drove a Honda Accord and not sure I could go back to anything much smaller - I love the F-150.

1 Like

Its a fun course, and the best deal in the area, IMO. 4000-5000 annually, no initiation, no assessments, no equity. Course is always in great shape. I miss it, but I live uptown and the drive was not worth it anymore.

1 Like

I think this is common for a few clubs in the area. Northstone would not let you have a push cart (I was told off the record it was to generate revenue through carts). But several in the area do. I know Cedarwood and River Run both allow push carts.

1 Like

after playing from the back plates last year, i couldnt imagine having to walk RRā€¦

Hitting a 225 yard 2 iron into a guarded front pin there will make you question why you playā€¦

it was quote an eye opener to be completely honestā€¦buddy of mine is a member there and on the board of the tourney thats played at northstone

another friend came down from VA and we played at RR the day beforeā€¦he told me id be lucky to break 115 from the tips

they didnt have the back tees out so we just played from the back plates, front side wasnt terrible i didnt think, played well and shot 45 after a nice sandy on 9

then i proceeded to go OB with a big right miss on 10, 11 and 12ā€¦shot 57 on the back for a stellar 102 haha

it really is a great course though and im sure outside of that wonky ass par 5 on the back with the downhill blind shot into the green, i think i would really enjoy playing it from the appropriate set of tees

I bought my truck used, it already had a plastic drop in liner. I told myself that I would replace it with a Line-X bed. A few years later, plastic liner still all good for my use (hunting/fishing trips, main road trip vehicle, hauling for house chores, but truck not used for full time work/construction).

In my experience (may be isolated) when I called Line-X they were a hassle to get on the schedule with and not very professional when I contacted them, so that didnā€™t compel me to fork over about $500-600+ for a new bedliner.

Bed mats arenā€™t talked about much but are pretty great. Fairly cheap option to ā€œpunt the issueā€ while you figure out what you want to do. I know some friends that have bed mats over their line-x (although it is redundant thenā€¦ but why not), so it wonā€™t go to waste.

Re. Line-X: Got a few buddies with Line-X, it is super durable and there really arenā€™t many drawbacks if cost isnā€™t a component. Only thing that bugs me is things do not slide on them. This can be annoying when always have to climb into the bed to pick things up and canā€™t slide, e.g. you realize how grippy a Yeti is full of cold beer. The grip is a blessing, since things wonā€™t slide easily while you drive, but also a curse.

Golf: I canā€™t speak to if it will scratch irons, but if that is your only golf concern, wrap your irons with a towel or something. Or get a truck toolbox, my weatherguard would hold golf clubs, if you didnā€™t fill it with other stuff.

If you like the way they look and its worth the money to you, they are nice.
@cltgamecock

**Edit - My money spent on a weatherguard was much better spent than Line-X in my opinion, you can securely keep a bunch of stuff in them.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a spray in bedliner and its never scratched my clubs that I can tell. I put a weathertech mat on top of the liner just to be safe and keep stuff in place but the liner hasnā€™t scratched any of my stuff

1 Like

This is a similar situation to myself. My wife has a Grand Cherokee and her lease is up next year and now with two kids, she wants something bigger (Tahoe or similar) for when we travel but Iā€™m thinking a truck would be even better.