Roll Call: North Carolina

Thanks all, good point @Double_Bogey_Dave about being so close to the Sandhills. Appreciate it @Jeff_M, Lochmere is my go-to range as it’s only 10 mins from me but I have never gotten membership details so I’ll keep that in mind.

1 Like

Welcome @LeftyJackson. I’m in Charlotte but spend a bunch of time down in Sunset Beach. Played Carolina National on Thurs and Rivers Edge on Friday. Played Ibis>Heron at CN in the afternoon after a full day of rain. Was amazed at how well it drained. Fairways were lush with no bare, greens were quick and could see a trace of sand on the break points. They should be totally fine when you’re down. Played Rivers Edge the next day and only issue there was some standing water in the bunkers. Fairways and greens were excellent with greens being soft and a hair slower than CN. Can’t go wrong with either!

Played any in Sunset lately? Going to be there next week, any aerification concerns I should have?

Played Sea Trail, Sandpiper and Thistle in the last two weeks. Sandpiper and Thistle were in great shape and Sea Trail was good, greens a notch below the others.

1 Like

Great, we have thistle, glen dornoch, and the pearl planned. Was thinking about calling to make sure they haven’t punched any of them recently.

1 Like

Maybe call just to be sure but the courses I’ve played recently all seem to be almost fully recovered from punching. Of course we just received about 2.5 inches of rain in the last 4 hours. It’s been a really wet summer here so far.

I think GD aerated the most recently of those 3 courses. I want to say they were closed on 6/19 or 6/20. Would be worth calling. Will be curious to hear how the Pearl plays with the new routing. They are down to 27 holes by closing holes 3-11 on the old East course. I’m probably heading back down on Thursday for a few days and will let you know where I get out.

1 Like

Glen Dornoch aerated last week I believe

Many people play here regularly. Personally one of my favorite courses. Not a “championship” course, but a shotmaking and fun course. Especially with a group of guys it’s a great time. If you have specific questions I’m sure someone can answer.

Boy, are you in the right place.

Where are you based out of? We’ve got guis playing there all the time.

It is a fever dream in the very best way.

Yes, I am a ClubCorp member, actually with the City Club of Raleigh, so all I have the the “Signature Gold” options for golf. I play Devils Ridge with a buddy because he is a member there. I didn’t love the course to begin with, but it has grown on my. You don’t hit many drivers, but it is in pretty good shape. Bent greens, so we will see if that holds into the summer. Lochmere is just incapable of holding water. Haven’t gotten a chance to take advantage of Hasentree. My biggest usage previously came from driving to Alamance Country Club (being renovated this summer) and down to play Pinehurst #9. I have been pleased, but might consider a club in the next year or so, even if it isn’t a private club.

3 Likes

I played Compass Pointe over this past weekend while visiting the in-laws, and greens and fairways were just punched in the last week or two. Fairways may start to be okay by this weekend, but greens will likely still be in rough shape.

Hasentree is solid. Big ballpark and was in great shape when I played it. Nothing particularly memorable about it imo, similar to TPC Wakefield in my recollection. Worth playing though for sure if you have access.

Believe it or not 10 years ago it was 10x worse. They’ve made some really good improvements over the years, but there’s only so much you can do when the course is in a flood plain.

https://www.groupgolfer.com/

$20 for 18 Holes with Cart at Carolina Shores Golf and Country Club in Calabash near Myrtle Beach ($61 Value. Good Any Time until December 31, 2020!)

too far for me to use but maybe a good buy for some of yall

Are they going to pay you $20 to play Carolina Shores? Carolina Shores is on par with Colonial Charters and Brick Landing, AKA the bottom tier of MB courses.

2 Likes

:joy:

I’ve never heard of any of the 3 on that list man. I just keep an eye on that site and buy stuff around the triad/border area

Looks like Southern Pines GC is officially under new management. My only concern is that they will eventually jack up greens fees so that it’s no longer the “muni” of the area.

4 Likes

Honestly, as long as they keep it around $75-85 on the weekends, I will be fine with it. Hopefully the work they put into it will make it well worth the premium. Some trimming around the edges, get the green complexes fixed up, bunkering fixes, and move on.