Roll Call: North Carolina

heard they were like putting on a fairway last week

1 Like

Please DM me if you have any interest. Weā€™ve got an active chapter throughout NC and SC. Meetups are happening pretty much every weekend.

Also, be on the lookout for an event at Hyland Golf Club in Southern Pines on 8/22. Announcement is imminent.

1 Like

Welcome! We also have a WhatsApp group for Charlotte refugees, which while certainly not as active as the RACDG group, can always be used to find a game. Youā€™ll find Monroe CC, Mooresville, Sifford, and Fort Mill tend to be the highest ranked Public Courses among the group. Am I missing any @anon29849602 ?
Donā€™t put any stock in the so called ā€œB-Manā€ and his ratings that appear in Charlotte Agenda!

edit: @Hitchings21 is the CLT WhatsApp admin, so please shoot him a line for the invite link.

2 Likes

Making a trip to NC/SC over July 4th. Staying with some friends in Tryon for a few days.
Has anyone played Cleghorn? Looks like a 18 hole George Cobb designed course?

https://cleghorngolf.com/golf/
(Serious plantation vibes)

I played it back in a high school tournament, cool course, very very hilly if I remember correctly

1 Like

I live in South/SW Charlotte, joined the Wednesday night Spark Golf league at Harry Jones GC which is right on South Tryon. Bunch of singles out there too so you meet people every week.

1 Like

I heard he loves carolina lakes

2 Likes

Fellow Charlotte golfer here. Just joined the Refuge about a week or two ago. Heading down to Holden Beach NC for a week in July. Was going to hit Rivers Edge. Anyone played Carolina National Golf Club or Lockwood Folly CC (semi-private)? Trying to figure out which is a better spend of time/money. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Lockwood Folly was not in good shape as of 3 weeks ago. Carolina National was in decent shape last week. I would think Carolina National is your better bet right now. Enjoy!

What week are you going? Iā€™ll be there the weekend of the fourth through Tuesday. Iā€™m deciding between Riverā€™s Edge or Thistle.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.39.53 PM

Now THIS is a username.

7 Likes

July 12-19. Thistle looks incredible although I might lose 100 golf balls if the right snap hook comes into playā€¦

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I will send you a DM so I can be added to the WhatsApp group if you donā€™t mind.

Will stay away from Charlotte Agenda at all costs

1 Like

Thistle is really fun and a great course.

Anyone a member of the Triangle Club Corp? Looking for some feedback about being a member and if itā€™s worth the cost with the course tee time restrictions. Iā€™m not a huge fan of Lochmere, but love Devils Ridge and havenā€™t played Brier Creek CC or Hasentree yet. Thanks!

Why join a club when you have the Sandhills so close by?

Kidding aside, I believe @ATLtoRDU33 has a ClubCorp membership.

Brier Creek is better than Devilā€™s Ridge IMO, have heard good things about Hasentree though Iā€™ve havenā€™t played it

1 Like

Iā€™m at Croasdaile in Durham and we have CC. There are two levels - one that comes with membership to your local club and ā€œSignature Goldā€ which comes with additional access for an additional cost ($50/mo).

I suspect it will be reevaluated in the near future as I think utilization isnā€™t what was expected. Iā€™ve used it some while traveling and played some really fun courses. I havenā€™t made much use of the dining options or other benefits (travel deals on hotels, cruises, etc).

Also, I think CC membership on itā€™s own (vs. as tag-along with country club membership) is another animal. It sounds like thatā€™s what youā€™re referencing and Iā€™m not sure how well my experience represents that type of arrangement.

1 Like

I grew up playing Lochmere and was a member up until about 5-6 years ago, and my mother was a member up until last year. Now we just had membership to Lochmere specifically which I believe also gave cart fee only access at The Neuse or at least it used to. So from what I gather youā€™re looking at something slightly different to get access to all the local CC courses, but if you have any questions about the Lochmere membership let me know and I can ask my mom since she was there most recently.

Lochmere holds a special place in my heart, as a kid I loved it there even when the greens used to turn to dirt in the summer.

1 Like

mill creek in mebane yesterday was absolutely fabulousā€¦thats all

4 Likes

Go play oak island golf club! Very fun track and beautiful new clubhouse.

1 Like