Roll Call: North Carolina

…restoring the lost 9…

4 Likes

agreed–I hope they find the right balance. No doubt it could use some love and replacing the greens from bent to a better strain of bermuda would be great for summer play. However, would be interesting to see if they’ll have to “soften” the green contours with the different grass types–would be a shame there. While the piper has to be paid, I’m hopeful SPGC stays truer to its roots…

2 Likes

I hope it’s less than that. It’s the Muni and in Moore County. That would price it out for a large number of people.

3 Likes

And I am all for it being less than that too, but I absolutely don’t want it to become $150+ for a weekend round. That would be far worse. If they had midweek and twilight for locals in and around that $40 range, in think that would be solid.

3 Likes

Hey everyone!! Fairly new to the NLU Family and the Refuge. I live in a little town in SE NC called Kenansville here in Duplin County. Play mostly around the Wilmington Area but my home course is Duplin Country Club. Love the courses in the central part of the State and the handful of mountain courses I have played…

3 Likes

Welcome @JNorwoodFive we have a number of folks down east and an active Royal and Ancient Company of Dishonorable Golfers (RACDG) chapter.

Most weekends we have at least a couple guys playing in the Sandills area.

1 Like

Thanks Man…Never heard of such a chapter lol…Sounds interesting though. I don’t get to the Sandhills much but I do love the region. Actually just played a course yesterday call Pine Hollow in Garner which is not too far from that area. It was awesome…

2 Likes

Love Pine Hollow, always in good shape, fast greens and affordable. Played out there a few times w/ @Double_Bogey_Dave @Just-a-little-right @AirMailWedges, join us one of these days

4 Likes

Would love to @raleighdawg! Me and my brother and law played it for first time. I loved it! The greens were smoking but man they sure did roll good. The Neuse is next of the list for me. I will probably go next week because I left my brand new Bushnell Wingman attached to our cart…Thankfully it was turned in.

3 Likes

I’ll also sing the praises of Pine Hollow any day of the week. Besides it getting a little slow with a lot of play these days, its got some of the best greens in the area, a wonderful price point, and an easy walk.

4 Likes

That’s really my only complaint. Seems like it’s worst on the first 6 holes and then things speed up, just that stretch of long par 3, tough par 4, par 3 over water and drivable par 4 is a bad combo for pace of play.

Also don’t love that par 3 over water, probably because i’ve never played it well, but with the speed of those greens and how shallow the green is it’s pretty punishing, even at sub-150 yards.

@Swing_hard_and_hope - That was the only issue yesterday. Our tee time was @ 1:26 and we finished at 6. For a twosome that usually plays in 3 1/2 hours it felt like it took forever lol. It was extremely busy and we wound up letting another twosome join us on hole 13 or 14 since we were all stacked.

Yes that’s the only issue with Pine Hollow. They roll the tee times out and there are a couple bottlenecks on the course (holes 3-6, and 12-15).

I really like The Neuse, so hopefully you enjoy it too. Usually well conditioned and some gettable par 5’s.

1 Like

@Just-a-little-right - Hopefully so. My brother in law has played it several times but it will be a first for me.

@raleighdawg - Yeah that Par 3 over the water was awesome until I hit two identical pin high balls that hit the left bank and went in the water lol. Pin was front left so I was going for it lol. It was one of my blow up holes lol. Still managed to shoot 85 so I was happy.

1 Like

Just wrapped up 9 at Glen Dornoch in Little River. Got off at 7:15 and was done with 9 (foursome) at just after 9 so moving quick. Start heading towards #10 and the start flags us down. They weren’t done sending people out on 1 and 10 so he told us we’d have a 20 minute wait. Add insult to injury no liquor before 10am so no bloody Mary at the turn.

Got to 10 tee box and there was a group on green, fairway and tee. Could easily see the next 9 taking 3+. Pulled the bag off cart and walked back to car

Course was in ok shape, aerated about 2 weeks ago still a little rough. Luckily only cost $27. Website said it was a $27 discount off price but guy at shop said it was actually on $27 total

Brutal, hopefully they had beer. Hopefully you weren’t playing good and this break stops the mo

I got two at the turn thinking it would be good amount to smooth the putting stroke out but finished one while making the decision to call it a day so definitely didn’t buy enough for a 3 hr 9 holes.

Only brought 6 clubs and putter this round. Not sure why buts it’s way more relaxing playing this way.

Got an email from Glen Dornoch today asking if we wanted to cancel our round next week due to aeration. I figured if they were emailing it wasn’t worth it to play so we switched to Sand Piper Bay. Kind of bummed bc I was looking forward to checking out Glen Dornoch. Next time.

Yeah greens were rough, i was playing pretty well (for me) on approach and unless within 10 ft everything was a lag putt due to the bumpiness. Not an issue since I’m staying with family 2 mins down the road and was only $27 but not worth a longer drive or more $

Hoping we get decent weather, everyday is a chance of storms it looks like but that normal pretty much.