Roll Call: North Carolina

Hey! I’ll be an incoming freshman at Wake Forest up in Winston-Salem. I was wondering if anybody has any architecturally interesting/cheap courses in the area for a broke college student. Thanks!

1 Like

Go Deacs!
Tanglewood’s Championship course hosted the PGA in the 70s and you can walk it for $29 on weekdays. If you need to get cheaper Reynolds Park isn’t a terrible track and you can usually get on for $20 or so. Others to try out: Oak Valley, Salem Glen, Tanglewood’s Reynolds Course and Meadowlands.

This has nothing to do with your question, but is there any way for a regular student to play Old Town Club?

Better know someone… the school doesn’t have any kind of deal with the club other than the team getting to use the course.

1 Like

There is lots of cheap golf in the Triad. Conditions vary. You will do well to get on OTC during your four years. It is worth the effort. Cross Creek CC in Mt Airy (about 35 mins north) has a great set of green complexes. You can play it cheap. Reynolds Park was designed by Maxwell so the bones are there. Oak Hollow in High Point a Pete Dye. Tanglewood after the recent renovation is worth playing.
There are more options. Enjoy WFU.

2 Likes

Lexington golf club isn’t terribly far from Winston and is worth a trip down for a cheap round of golf. I really dig the course and the whole vibe they got going on out there.

All the previous mentioned options are stellar as well.

NC Refugees:

I will be flying into CLT for business next Tuesday, 7/16 and staying in the Statesville area that night so looking to make a tee-time between 3-4pm. Based on my research Mooresville GC is en-route and a fairly WOKE course. Let me know if there is somewhere else I should be playing. And of course if anyone wants a game they are more than welcome to join this single! Crack on!

5 Likes

Played Mid Pines today for the $50 aerification special. Greens are in fantastic shape. Guy in the pro shop said they only punched a couple greens (9 is the only one I can remember during my round). Tee boxes haven’t fully recovered and there are some bad spots in some fairways but for $50, it’s a steal. Would definitely recommend getting out there tomorrow or Saturday before they go back to the regular rates.

4 Likes

Glad to hear it. Headed down there as we speak to play this morning - believe there are a few other Refugees joining me. Super excited to get a look at MP

1 Like

Highly recommend Mooresville. I’d put the front nine up against most in the area. Affordable as well

1 Like

I’m a college student working in the Charlotte area until December. I’ve been playing Mooresville Golf Club and am looking to play as much golf as I can these next couple months. If anyone has any course recommendations or is looking for a playing partner let me know!

Mooresville GC is a really fun and affordable course. Best dollar for dollar course I’ve found in the area. I’d be happy to join you, but I get off work at 5pm. Let me know if you wanna tee it up!

Raleigh folks: anybody heard about this place and/or have experience with it? https://www.dogwoodcountryclub.com/

I’m looking into getting lessons and the way the pro does lessons is a little different – you basically sign up for a lesson-taking membership for 6 or 12 months and get full use of the indoor practice facility & Trackman while you’re a member in addition to lessons (and looks like reciprocal playing privileges as well as some other benefits). Seems like an interesting way to do it and probably worth the money (starts at ~$300ish a month) for Trackman use if you’re in there a few hours a week, especially during colder months.

midwest guy here… heading down for work in a couple weeks to Greensboro. got time for a Monday afternoon round. Tobacco Road, Mid Pines or Dormie Club?

Dormie only because it’ll be private in January. All 3 are great courses.

1 Like

Mid pines is the best and most traditional of the 3, Dormie will go private so if you don’t want to miss it then go that route. TR is awesome, its different than any course I’ve ever played so if you’re looking for a completely wild new experience go that way.

im in greensboro and if you want to play an afternoon/evening round while you are here, let me know…

1 Like

Hey everyone, Raleigh checking in. My group typically plays all over the triangle. Glad I found this community!

4 Likes

Kind of a strange question but is anyone driving from the Charlotte area to Northern VA and back over the next few days? I left my golf clubs in my brother’s car and am hesitant to ship them back without a travel bag.

Definitely a long shot but any help would be appreciated!

Damn couple days late. I live in GSO and came up to NOVA Saturday for a few days. I’d call ship sticks personally, gonna be expensive, but its what they do and you shouldn’t need a travel bag for that.