Roll Call: North Carolina

Hello everyone…checking in from Winston-Salem. Open to play anywhere in the area!

1 Like

welcome…got a few guys in and around the triad here

i am in high point, play jamestown a lot cause its close to the house but also will play all over

went to high point for college so we always played Oak Hollow and Jamestown

@anon846171 @cltgamecock How did you guys like Irish Creek?

nice man…i played oak hollow yesterday evening and jamestown today

both a great deals for the price, especially the twilight rate of $25

id take jamestown all day long if given the option though, those greens are awesome

@tedscott @anon846171 we actually got rained out. Hoping to get something on the books soon!

I played Tanglewood Championship a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic. Greens were pure. I’d like to play the other course they have there too but haven’t had a chance yet.

2 Likes

thats going to be the next one i play in winston…

although im hoping to get back out to your neck of the woods some time soon as well; got the putter dialed in right now, so id probably only have 5 three putts this time

Sure, let me know. When we do play, bring some of those sweet putters you’ve been posting about. I’ll probably buy one off you haha.

you wont take the 2 ball out the bag for either of them!

Charlotte (South) here…Re-entering the game after a decade hiatus, with the advantage of a new wife who is a rank amateur but on fire working on her game. We focus on economical rounds while we find our game (eyes on you, WOKE when BROKE thread…). Funny aside - every time I read from the yardage book about a hole, she adds without fail “This is a reading from the book of yardage…Thanks be to Donald”

4 Likes

Welcome back to the game!

1 Like

I’m in South Charlotte too! Maybe we’ll cross paths at a future meet up. Your lady is a keeper…getting into the game AND quoting Big Randy/The Book of Yardage?!? Knocked it out of the park. Welcome back to the game!

1 Like

Where do you enjoy playing at the moment?

Charles Sifford has been a fave, since it is cheap, great condition, and not too terribly crowded. The people are great there as well - and great chipping area.
We’ve also done Edgewater in Lancaster (loved it), River Bend in Shelby, Monroe CC, and Eagle Chase. We’ve also played a couple mountain courses (Mountain Aire and Mt. Mitchell) and have to say, mountain golf is where it’s at…
My wife suggested a Charlotte informal NLU meetup so we’ll have to work on that for the fall!

3 Likes

your wife have a sister?

1 Like

You should definitely try Harry L Jones as well. I think its design is really surprisingly excellent, and the green compexes are really cool. Architecturally I think its a real find. And its a muni managed by the same group as Sifford, so definitely affordable. I hear their other course, Charles T Myers just had new greens put in, so that is supposedly really in good shape as well.

Others, in the ilk you’re referring to, would be Emerald Lake, Olde Sycamore (a bit more $, but well maintained), The Divide (rough shape but getting better, great bones). I also really enjoyed Rocky River when I played it.

I had heard a bunch of bad things about Renaissance/Harry L Jones a few years ago, so have yet to try it, but if it’s run by the same folks as Sifford it can’t be that bad - will have to check it out!

Now is also the point in the thread in which I again shill for Mooresville GC (assuming you can make the ~45 minute drive, and yeah it’s always crowded…but it is the best muni/public in the area).

2 Likes

Hello everyone! I’m based in Raleigh/Durham, and when I am not playing golf I am usually consuming some form of online content about it so I thought the refuge would be the place for me.

3 Likes

Mountain Aire is unreal. Can’t beat some of those views on the front 9