Roll Call: North Carolina

Wait, are the club’s NOVA right now? If so I’m in Gainesville until tomorrow am and could bring them back to NC as far as GSO area…

1 Like

Want to get out for a round on Sunday in the Triangle. I’m looking at Quaker Creek which is NW of Durham. $30…may give it a shot if nothing else comes up and greens aren’t punched (played punched greens last Saturday :frowning: )

Welcome! Raleigh here also and definitely digging the old school Mr. Wuf. Go Pack!

2 Likes

Ok, so I’ve heard than UNC Finley and Duke were about the same quality, etc. I played Finley last Friday and Duke today.

It’s not even a contest. Duke is way better. I would play it 9 times to Finley’s 1. Wish I lived 3 minutes away from Duke and not Finley and it would be an instant member purchase for me once I explore the other area.

1 Like

Duke is better than Finley, but both are worth playing unlike Lonnie-Poole.

1 Like

Moving to Winston-Salem soon from the High Point/Thomasville area. Besides Tanglewood, are there any decent public offerings in the W/S area?

Haven’t had a chance to play Duke. Like Finley a lot. What about Lonnie Poole are you not a fan of? It’s not perfect and can be pretty penal but it’s always in good shape - not much better near Raleigh, especially if you can get it on a GolfNow deal or Twilight.

Salem Glen and Oak Valley

The routing at Lonnie Poole is horrible with holes that you literally drive down the cart path and then back-up the same cart path to go to the next tee and their are some terrible holes like the dogleg Par 5 where you have to lay-up with like a 8 iron, but can’t really reach the green.

It is just a typically mediocre Arnold Palmer without any real flow or continuity in the holes.

I not saying if you live in Raleigh that it isn’t the best deal or one of the best public options, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to play it and you are not missing anything if you live in Raleigh your entire life and don’t play it.

Duke and Finley are worth playing.

Oak Valley and Salem Glen are both decent. I give the nod to Salem Glen. If it is a game you seek go to Wilshire. Not much of a course but there is always a game. There are lots of options in the area as there are too many courses even after several closures.

im always down for a game…been in GSO since 2000 and never heard of wilshire, ive been missing out

On Hwy 150 south of WS. On the left. Lots of action and drivable par. Fours.
Big gangsome pretty much every day, too. I have never played in my 40 years in WS. I guess I am missing out.

1 Like

Which hole are you talking about?

1 Like

Probably the 3rd hole. Dogleg left par 5 with the hugely uphill 2nd shot.

@Good-Good I’d agree that the routing – especially on the front – is suboptimal. Would argue that there are some solid holes out there… shorter par 4’s, par 3’s are all solid. I pretty much only play after work twilight when it’s like $40 – no chance I’d pay the full $85 or whatever it usually is.

As an aside: not sure if it’s been mentioned but Groupon ALWAYS has Finley rates for like $49.

1 Like

That’s good to know about Finley Groupon. Haven’t used that site/app in a long time. Duke IMO is worth the $80 Triangle Resident rate. I’d say Finley is worth $50.

The real question is if Duke is worth $325/month for unlimited green fees?

CGA had a deal for UNC Finley back in June for $39 a person…nice thing it also includes free replays that day

who is playing around the Triad this afternoon/evening?

Has anyone ever played Mid-South? What can you tell me about it?

IMO it is the best Palmer design I have played. I believe you will like it.

Anyone gonna get in this? Seems like a super legit deal

https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/2119283