Roll Call: New Orleans

I havent made it out to English turn in a while, so I can’t speak to the current conditions unfortunately. If you are shopping around for options, I would check for any deals at Lakewood as well. As for Bayou Oaks, its certainly over-priced–occasionally you can find a good hot deal in the late morning/early afternoon time frame. It’s a solid course that I enjoy playing, but just rarely is justifiable given the usual cost. (I would say anything < $80 on the weekend is reasonable for Bayou Oaks South in comparison to the general cost of golf in the area). Can’t go wrong with Audubon, though.

1 Like

The English Turn shoutout by @Randy on the new Strapped episode had me dying.

5 Likes

English Turn regrassed the whole course at the end of last summer. I played in October and November and it was in awesome shape. I haven’t played it since though. Probably safe to say its much better than you played it last year though

Bartholomew is my favorite par-72 affordable course in the area. Always seems to be firm and fast somehow. No starter so groups of 5+ sometimes go out so it can get slow, but it’s more stimulating that Bayou Oaks North, Lakewood, Timberlane, etc. in my opinion

1 Like

If Bartholomew is more stimulating than the others you mentioned, I have to ask, are the other courses completely devoid of any features? While Bartholomew was a lot of fun when I played on Wednesday, I certainly did enjoy it but it’s flatness was nearly disorienting someone like me that plays hilly terrain almost all the time. But for the price it could not be beat.

Hoping to play around at Audubon Park before I leave Wednesday

uhhh…kinda? hahah

you’re not gunna get any rolling terrain down here so firm conditions and some quirky hole designs have to make up for it. TPC has good green surrounds with manufactured hills and bumps too

1 Like

I loved how fast and firm things were rolling over the gentle slopes, the greens and preferred lines into them were interesting. I played TPC last year on the last 2 days of public play before the Zurich and it was so very puuuuure!

If anyone is interested in some gulf-golf collaboration.

How was the second weekend? I went the first weekend.

1 Like

I had a blast, it’s hard not to!

My favourite place.

1 Like

Anyone have any recommendations as to where to get fitted for clubs around New Orleans? I’m a new-ish golfer still playing with some hand-me-downs Driver and Woods and irons that I bought off the rack. I tried Club Champion in Metairie when I was looking for a new putter but didn’t really have the best experience. I got fitted for my putter at GolfTec last summer and it was great, but I was wondering if you all have any specific recs. I heard Mark at 1.50 Golf in Covington was good. I’m looking at new wedges first, then Driver, then irons. TIA

1 Like

I’m not in the area but I found this spot that looks decent. Good reviews and he uses a trackman.

Bebu Golf Studios

I’d call and see if he does anything where he discounts the fitting if you order through him.

3 Likes

Bebu is great, seconded. I didn’t do a fitting there, I did a swing analysis and it was awesome. Left with a bunch of things to think about and work on.

I relocated due to work before I got to go back but I would’ve been a regular. He has great thoughts about the golf swing and I’d assume he’s as diligent in his fittings.

2 Likes

Also can attest Buddha is great, I had a few lessons with him in December.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll give Buddha a call.

Agreed about Buddha. He is awesome and does great swing analysis and lessons. Also a top notch club builder. He’s super honest/candid and doesn’t push you to purchase anything. I did a putter fitting and he told me current putter was perfect for me. He just gave me some pointers on my stoke, adjusted loft and lie on my gamer slightly, and regripped it.

I also did a wedge fit there but he only had a few options for me to hit because I’m a lefty (I assume he has more RH options, but maybe still less than CC and GT). He suggested loft/grind/bounce that he didn’t have for me to test, but it ended up being awesome. I didn’t love not being able to test the club before ordering, but am very happy with the result.

I’ve been to Club Champion (for 3 wood, in Philly) and GolfTec (for Driver, in Metairie) before too. I feel like CC is great if you want to hit tons of options and don’t care about price because they will fit you into some super expensive shafts and stuff. GolfTec was really good at fitting my into one of the main brands drivers and then testing the “stock/no upcharge” shafts to find the best fit, plus adjusting loft sleeve and sliding weight. They didn’t build the club, just ordered it direct from Ping, and even had me check TGW and other sites to see if there were any sales before doing so.

Different options depending on what you’re looking for

2 Likes

Anybody playing in the Amateur Qualifier at English Turn on Monday? I tee off at 11:15am. Would love to introduce myself to any Refuge folks.

1 Like

Not me, but good luck out there!

Not me either, but I hope you play well! Good luck!

I tee off at 10:03. Not sure if you’ll be there that early or not, but say hi if you are.