Roll Call Montana

If you’re talking about Whitefish/Kalispell area only, I think Northern Pines may be your best bet.

The Wilderness Club is markedly better but a full hour north.

Yes. Northern is as good as advertised. Although it can get pretty windy on the front in the afternoons.

Grew up in Kalispell. haven’t been back in a while so can’t speak to current conditions, but the alternative would likely be Buffalo Hills.

You can’t really go wrong with either. Northern Pines is likely going to be in better condition and has truer greens. It’s much more exposed so wind is usually a factor and it’s flatter so a bit more walkable.

Buffalo Hills gets more play. The pace will likely be a bit slower but it’s a super fun layout. A bunch of elevation change and quirky lies. Tighter fairways and heavily wooded. Not exactly woke golf architecture but I always loved it as a kid. Feels a bit more uniquely Montana. Just depends what your looking for but I think you’ll have a great day either way.

Also have to shoutout @MerchCzar for his amazing Great Northern take on the most recent Crash Course pod. Couldn’t agree more. If you have some time to go up to Whitefish it’s always a good time.

I used to live in Butte so I’m well accustomed to what is “Montana” haha. I’m just looking for a sweet course and a links style kinda sounds interesting for out there

NP is great. If you are in that area you have to check out Whitefish Lake. Homer, I know. Or head down to Bigfork and play Eagle Bend. Very good options for ya

1 Like

I believe I heard that Eagle Bend is cutting down the number of public rounds they allow this season to a pretty minimal number? Due to the massive influx of new members in 2020.

Played In Hamilton at Hamilton Golf Club last week during a family vacation, just 9 holes each round in the afternoons. Always fun to play with my Dad and his buddy.
The fun fact is the folk lore that my grandpa helped build the original 1st green (back when it was a sand green) Spring in Montana can not be beat.

Hole #1 from the Practice Green

Hole #1 from the Range

Hole #9 looking at the Bitterroot range

3 Likes

Interesting. I’ll dig in and see what I can find out.

2 Likes

That’s about 8 more hoes than I can handle during a round.

1 Like

My Wife did not approve of that round of golf! Ha Ha

1 Like

What’s your take on living/moving to the Kalispell/Whitefish area? Good for families or leave it for vacations? lol

My wife and I moved here with our 2 boys 3 years ago and we love it! If you’re into outdoors theres no better place to live, skiing/snowboarding, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, camping and yes, even golf. I haven’t played northern pines yet, but I’ve heard good things, but Buffalo hills and Village Greens are both in really good condition and are a lot of fun (I work at VG so I’m a bit biased), drive 20 minutes and you can play whitefish lake (36 holes) or Meadow Lake golf club in Columbia Falls.

However, I have to say, like everywhere else it has gotten very expensive to buy a home here in the last couple of years. Just as an example, new homes are going for $250/sq ft and up right now. So yes, it’s a wonderful place for kids, but it’s pricey!

2 Likes

The whole Inland Empire has gone bananas in the past two years. So many people realising WFH means they may as well make that home somewhere nice. CDA is top of the US rising property price list with Spokane 5th!

2 Likes

That’s good to know! Yeah, we aren’t far behind that ppf in this part of Oregon. Would certainly not be getting more for your money other than some property tax relief perhaps.

1 Like

The current value of my parent’s house has gone from ‘significant’ to ‘holy shit, really?!’ It won’t be long before it breaks through the ‘Sweet Jesus’ level and then powers on to ‘I think I need to sit down’.

1 Like

It’s been a wild ride the last few years, fortunately for us we bought a home just before all the craziness started. We were very lucky.

1 Like

I feel very fortunate to have grown up there. If you love the outdoors it’s tough to beat for all the reasons @Peak_Golf listed above.

1 Like

You guys definitely have a nice variety of public golf up in the Flathead. One of the things I don’t like about Bozeman is the lack of public golf options. 5 courses in Bozeman but only 2 publics is a bummer. Even worse - the closest non-bozeman public 18 hole courses are Big Sky, Butte, and Billings.

Hey guys and gals…
Going on a trip to Big Sky in August, curious what my golf options will look like.

What are my public course options ?
Any Private courses my pro can get me on ?

Any info would be welcomed.

Will be my wife and my 2 year old with me.

Thanks in advance.