Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

Northland, Fri through Sun.

1 Like

Took a stroll through Pioneer Creek with @ErockMN this morning. He sure can play and is a great playing partner. A great way to spend a day off of work - tons of fun! If you haven’t been out to Pioneer yet this year, I highly recommend it!

2 Likes

Thanks for the walk, @tmoney7, who has some seriously classy short game. I’m thinking he made at least 90feet of putts today on PC’s typically speedy greens. We (meaning I) couldn’t decide to play a friendly match without or without dots so kept track of both: he closed me out on 15 with strokes and I managed to eek out 1 up without them when I won 18. Great day.

Also meant to snap a pic of what my 9iron looked like after #11…probably my cleanest strike of the day followed by the strangest feeling and strangest sound as the clubhead popped off and barreled down the fairway. Currently being re-epoxied at 2nd swing right now.

1. Looking for a place to play Friday, 9/18. My course is closed for the member-member which I’m not playing in.

2. Had a pleasant walk with @Taylorda this morning at Olympic Hills. We didn’t get to play the last 3 holes earlier this summer during our match, so it was nice to take a swing around. We never established terms for our back 9 match, but the focus was enough to help me shoot 7 strokes better than the front.

5 Likes

Just getting off Windsong Farms. I’m in love. For those more traveled than me what is better than here in MN?

7 Likes

Damn we were kiddy corner from you at windsong (at Pioneer Creek). Still waiting for a friend from Northland that might get us on before snow falls…

3 Likes

I had heard so many good things about the course and it was every bit as good if not better than I had heard. I think I would rank it as the best course I’ve played in MN. I’m not very well traveled on the private circuit but hit most of the high end public courses in the state.

1 Like

Looks like you had an awesome day! Jealous. What were some of your favorite elements about the course that were better than expected?

Good question. I think it was just more dramatic than I was expecting. Lots of good rolling hills and elevation change. Plenty of places with good views out over the course. Very interesting and visually appealing tee shots even though I would not call it an intimidating course off the tee. Trying to think if there was a hole that didn’t have a fairway bunker. Not sure what to say. Not only can I not choose a favorite hole, I can’t think of one I didn’t like.

2 Likes

I am a little sad that I won’t be able to take advantage of Viking Packer golf tomorrow. The last two years I’ve been able to jump out and play and get through 18 in about 3 hours or so on true public courses.

Best time to play golf in Minnesota.

2 Likes

Windsong is so damn good. There’s hardly a weak hole on the whole property. #10 you could argue is kinda bland, but it’s still great. That back 9 is one of the sternest championship tests you’ll find in the Midwest.:+1:t2:

3 Likes

Hey all - one last bump for the Fall Match Play at Baker on 9/27. We have six tee times starting at 11AM. We will be randomly selecting teams this coming weekend to fill out the @mplsgolfer lead Team Lacks Pop (in red) against my Team Can’t Play (in blue). We currently have 20 signed up, and can take up to 24. If we end at an odd number, last person in may be relegated to playing, but not on a team. Lastly, matches will be played based on most up to date GHINs.

Come for the the camaraderie, the $45 majesty that is Baker in the fall (colors should be starting to pop), or come for my dumb ass dressed as Papa Smurf. Shoutout soly.

Sadly, I already owned pants that blue.

3 Likes

2nd Wedding Anniversary is coming up soon. Any recommendations to take my wife to? @Taylorda

Anyone up for some low stakes gambling with @DuckDuckGreyDuckHook and I this Saturday at 9:45am at Gross National? Rumor has it that it’s a top ten course in the metro (according to @bobs219). Two spots available for anyone willing to tolerate my Hovland-esque chipping for 18 holes.

Love the call out.

Spoon and stable
Martina
Would be my first reccomendation. Neither are cheap but both have creative dishes and tons of flavor.

I haven’t been but heard awesome things about colita (same chef as martina)

If you want some Asian flavors but more upscale Lat14 is quite quite good (don’t let it fool you just bc it’s in st louis park/golden valley)

Sushi isn’t my thing but kado no mise has gotten great reviews from some of my raw fish loving friends.

Let me know if none of these look good for you. I can come up with some more just need a little more direction to come up with some more.

5 Likes

Second Martina. Took the lady there about a month ago and was really wow’d. I got the lobster spaghetti and it was some of the best pasta I’ve ever had. The avocado bruschetta starter was ridiculous as well.:ok_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Martina and Colita are both great, I probably liked Colita a little bit more. I’d say Martina has heartier dishes while Colita’s are a bit lighter.

Can’t go wrong either way.

2 Likes

Appreciate the backup on martina.

Out of curiosity did neither of you enjoy spoon and stable or havent been?

I like pizza, guis…

5 Likes