Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

$17 to walk after 6pm is pretty darn good during long summer nights

2 Likes

damn I should’ve kept this tee time and played with you, @chefcycle. Decided to drive another 20 and play TB with my Dad.

Hey man between Keller and troy you really couldn’t go wrong. It was a great day out there today

You tempt me sir, and despite it being v close, I don’t think I can make it quite that early.

Course is really in amazing shape right now. Have a blast.

1 Like

Just played Northland for the first time and those greens were awesome! The views and ride down the hill on the back 9 would never get old. Played in the mid-am and never played practice round so that was interesting with the MGA selected hole locations and having to hole out every putt. Second round out there was equally enjoyable but not an easy place in the wind.

6 Likes

Brought my eldest out to the range today for the first time (Island Lake, s/o @Mystic). #nextgeneration

20200901_213128

He’s a little steep. But he turns 4 tomorrow, nowhere to go but up, right?

Edit: sharing from Google Photos not working well
Edit 2: had to compress it to near-potato quality but hopefully it’s okay
Edit 3: flickr to the rescue! Full video here:
Imgur
Also eldest*, sorry @djpie

11 Likes

Back home after a quick spin to Minneapolis. A few thoughts:

Minikahda’s new turf has come in nicely. The lack of fringe is a feature all clubs should consider. It also struck me that the routing at that club seems very off. But had a great time, got to play with the super Jeff Johnson who was a heckuva good dude.

Minneapolis GC may be the best golf club in the city. The course looks a lot better than I remember.

Oak Ridge is a new world. It’s amazing what the renovation/re-seeding/whatever did to that property. Can’t recommend it enough.

8 Likes

I’ll fight you over that Majestic Oaks take, mostly for nostalgia (but I’ll give you the Gold/Crossroads course)

1 Like

In fairness its probably not that bad of a course, its just not amazing either. Seems like a course I’m always stuck playing when someone else books the teetime, so I’m never really there by choice which probably doesn’t help the opinion.

1 Like

That’s where I land. The course is fine but nothing super interesting. I have ideas of how to make it better with the same routing. My grandpa used to work out there so I’ve played it a ton with him and it grew on me

1 Like

I’m heading up to WI (Grantsburg) next Friday and looking to play someplace on the drive up in the afternoon. Anyone interested in getting a group together? I was thinking Stoneridge, but for some reason tee times are $110 that day. I love that place, but not at that price.

If anyone wants to complain about #11 LIVE AND IN PERSON, @DuckDuckGreyDuckHook and I are playing Chaska on September 12 @ 9:20am. Two spots open!

4 Likes

Last call: Rush Creek at 4:10 today. Spot for 1. Anyone free?!

Spooner GC is delightful. Couldn’t tell you anything about it other than the one time I played it I liked it a lot.

1 Like

Hey I’ll join if a spot is available!

1 Like

Siren National is probably 10-15 minutes from Grantsburg, and it’s got some really sweet holes. Kind of a hidden gem in my opinion, just depends on what kind of condition they have it in. Probably around 40-50 bucks with a cart, might be walkable for 10 bucks less but it’s got some elevation changes. Not sure which way you’re coming from if you’d rather play on the way up there but Forest Hills in Forest Lake sometimes has some tee times available on GolfNow, which is a cool private course with some great greens, and if you’re coming up on 35 it’s probably right on your way.

1 Like

You’re in!

1 Like

I played Siren a few weeks ago with a buddy who has a cabin up that way and agree on the hidden gem status. Some very cool holes, never got too boring. We went off in the first or second group and it was very wet and seemed to play much longer than the yardage indicated. Of course it’s possible we just both hit the ball like shit. Greens were in good shape and definitely had some character, much more than I expected.

Holy shit Surly is closing the beer hall.

Is there a downvote option? Awful news and quite frankly shocking, whenever I have been there, just crazy busy.