Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

Tried to dig up a pic and this was the best one I’ve got. It brings me back to playing twilight and having the sun peek through. It’s for sure personal preference, but I grew up on golf in northern Wisconsin with every course being heavily wooded. Guess trees are my cup of tea.:man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

:whispers: I may just agree with @Billy_Baroo

1 Like

To be honest the main thing this conversation is showing me is that I need to get out more!

I think its also making me realize I struggle to articulate why I may or may not like a course.

I think instead of doing a list I’d put courses into the following groups.

Courses I want to play the most:
Troy Burne - even though I haven’t been there in years.
StoneRidge - even though it kicks my ass every time.
Keller - even though it can be crowded and slow.

Courses I’m learning to enjoy more:
Loggers - it was always a me problem and not the course’s fault.

Courses I need to check out, that are big blind spots for me:
Deer Creek Run
Baker

Courses that need to be burned to the ground and turned into houses:
Tanners Brook
Eagle Valley
Majestic Oaks

Course I was pleasantly surprised by and would play again:
Southern Hills

Course that I play the most but am starting to like less and less each time:
Royal

Courses that are objectively pretty terrible but will always be a bit like home:
Oneka Ridge in Hugo
Crosswoods in Crosslake.

12 Likes

That was good. But this is better with the tall weeds removed.

1 Like

Yes! This times 1,000,000!

3 Likes

I mean…

1 Like

See all that shade? Detrimental to turf quality.

Your account has been docked 10 woke points.

4 Likes

This pic is from April 17’ and that turf was peeeeerfect. Truly, need to give it up to the supers. I forget the guys name out there, but I know he’s a legend.

Those tall weeds may look pretty, but that shade is detrimental to turf quality. Hence, those weeds needed to go.

Side note: I have two open spots at Rush Creek tomorrow at 4:10. $70 to walk. Any takers?

we agree on SOOOO many things.

2 Likes

FWIW, I think you did an excellent job in your previous comment of articulating why you enjoy a place like Northland more than one like Deacons. That logic resonated with me big time. And as an aside, I’ve been curious about Southern Hills but haven’t heard many people mention it so I was kind of starting to bump it down the list. It’s a bit more of a haul than others, but I won’t write it off now.

3 Likes

Yeah, even a blind squirrel…

Southern Hills was fun. I could see how areas might get a bit soggy after a heavy rain. I think the most fun thing about it is seeing how flat it looks on google, and then realizing how very not flat it really is. For the price it is definitely worth it. It does sound like you might need to pick your spot tee time wise for pace of play though.

5 Likes

I think the most important factor in my enjoyment of a course is this: let me try and hit fun shots, and reward me if I succeed; If I fail, let me find my ball and try get myself out of it. I would guess this is why everybody enjoys Stoneridge - it’s hard, but there’s nothing unfair about it. Good or bad, you earned every stroke.

7 Likes

Pretty much exactly what I was trying to type out in a much more succinct matter. Second this statement

3 Likes

This is my feeling 100% and articulated much more concisely than I could hope to.

3 Likes

Listen, I’m with you all day. Gross isn’t a course you’ll tell someone to come to the city for, but it’s fun as hell. Especially if, as you said, you spray the driver. So hard to lose a ball but still a lot of fun holes.

2 Likes

@bobs219 LONG GAME BUMP!

2 Likes

I’ll have to get out there sometime again, it’s been probably 7-8 years.

Is it Keller or Baker? No, it’s not, at all. But I like it a whole lot more than Columbia or Wirth among the city courses. Never the first place I check for a tee time, but always happy to play there.

4 Likes