Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

Good call - decent chipping putting green with some mega undulation

1 Like

The Royal has a chipping green with two bunkers in between the 10th tee and the 18th green, just past the big putting green. Probably can’t practice much beyond 30 yard shot at the most but you can find a variety of fairway and rough lines, with both up and downhill options. Nothing spectacular, but decent for public and the east metro.

This is half of the chipping green, pic was from their first summer, green has grown in obviously.

The range is nice, mostly for the fact they’ve got decent balls. Though it did seem like they were mats only quite a bit last summer.

I’m always looking at golf clubs (to join, not swing) the way gear heads are always prowling 2nd Swing. Not sure how serious I am but I’ll keep looking.

I think I like the idea of joining a club more than I’d actually like it. I’m a pragmatist and can never justify the cost + I just don’t have the time to take advantage (rounds, practice, socializing, etc).

1 Like

My brother in law has the sheet, but I recall it was something like 12.5K down and ~650 a month for the full membership? He went to a hazeltine event where Ben Greve (gopher stick legend and husband of Lindsay Whalen) was the keynote speaker and he chatted with him about it… Granted, I was comparing Hazeltine initiation to Olympic, but I’d much rather play Olympic every day than the 'tine.

1 Like

I hear ya @bobs219. I can always tell when golf season’s about to start when the membership info starts getting sent out. I have to say the most compelling one for me is Midland. Their Spring (and Fall) membership is typically about $1,500 where you get to “try before you buy”. It’s valid till June 30th which seems great, but in reality you probably get about 6 weeks of decent golf during that time. I’d be curious if anyone out there has done one of these trial memberships? Did you end up joining?

1 Like

I agree, I do a lot of the same. I live in perhaps the worst part of the cities to have this affliction (Rosemount) and my wife is comfortable here and won’t let us move to a part of the cities where it would make sense to have a membership from a commute perspective. Probably for the best and we also have a great muni/public scene.

Love Midland and would absolutely join if I lived closer. Trial membership is reasonable if you’re pretty committed to joining anyway.

Not sure if you’re actually looking to join there, but if you are I would check on whether they’re doing any big course work beginning this year. Could have sworn they were planning a large reno to get back towards the original Raynor layout.

@BaxterMSP. Whats the timeline for BCC to be reopen? I assume you still have a bunch of time to get reciprocals in but I recall you saying they used sod so perhaps it’ll be shorter.

You’re correct @BaxterMSP it doesn’t make any sense unless you’re at least 90% committed to joining. My neighbor is a member. He shared that they were originally going to have Jim Urbina do 9 holes one year and 9 the next. It sounds like that was voted down and they’re going to rip the band aid off and do it all at once. The current down stroke is $4k which is absurdly low. I’d guess it will be $10-12k post reno. Considering how solid it is already I can’t imagine how good it’s going to be once it’s complete.

1 Like

They’re telling people the goal is Memorial Day weekend. All I know is I’ve got a list of reciprocals that I plan to be working HARD in April/May. Weekdays are definitely in play.

3 Likes

Yeah, can’t wait to see it post Reno. Maybe the downstroke is so low because you’ll get hit with a multi thousand dollar member assessment during your first year??!

1 Like

Is the MV range still the mats area at the end of the parking lot?

Yeah, but I know you can hit off the grass too. Ranges are all the same to me, unless it’s like Southview where the longest club is 200 yards.

It’s the short game and putting area that really sets the places apart.

Yeah, you didn’t really get to see much of the wedge area at Olympic last fall. The green there is a little more conducive to putting practice since not as many people use it. And some target flags set up to about 100 yards which is nice for hackers like me or to bring kids out.

1 Like

When I lived closer to it, I thought about joining town and country until I went and warmed up, like, 5i is as far as I can hit it without killing somebody… no chance I’m joining a limited distance range club.

1 Like

Does that back side wedge range get much use? seemed like really odd positioning for it.

I’ve had thoughts about those Olympic greens at peak speed ever since you said they were running slow that day. Picturing this:

Not much. I will go down there Sundays during kiddo’s naptime and I’m the only one there. Pretty relaxing.

I’ve never thought “that was a good 3 putt” more than playing at Olympic.

3 Likes

Surprised no one has mentioned Edinburgh for public facilities. It’s got everything you need and then some.

Also yes, the new Windsong range is going to be siiiiiiiick. I think the initial opening date was last August, but I’m glad they held off until this spring. It’s gonna be bonkers.

2 Likes