Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

That tree on 4 seems unnecessary.

1 Like

Idk, you take away that tree and it’s a really boring hole. I would love to watch a bunch of refugees get ejected by that tree.

6 Likes

They want 85 bucks to play Braemar?. FFS. I’ll vote for one, but they are all fine for me.

1 Like

Yep. Have to take a cart, which obviously adds to the cost.

It’s funny, I was torn between The Royal and Braemar and let geography sway my vote but seeing The Royal is at 0% it makes me feel a bit better that I am not sitting there by myself like Steven Glansberg

3 Likes

I’ll give a ceremonious vote for the Royal. Played it on opening day last year and thought it was prematurely terrible… greens were way too tricked up with mini mounds and the rough was sparse (not a big Fairway gui) and full of weeds. Was really disappointed. 2nd attempt later in the year was also awful. Left after 4 holes took me almost 1.5 hours to play. Didn’t plan on going back.

Had a work blind draw best ball in July out there… all in on work paid golf. I have to say, vastly superior conditioning, the greens held shots much better, fairways were good/great and the pace was much better. The trucked up greens were actually fun. I should say I shot a respectable number and won the event so perhaps there’s bias… also won the Aon risk reward challenge on the drivable par 4 15. Cut 3 wood off the flag

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more that the course continues to improve. I actually have been meaning to get my kids out to that little par 3 as well. Perfect length for beginners!

1 Like

Yeah, the Royal has really grown on me as well. Definitely prefer the back 9 over the front though. Also doesn’t hurt that they have the best practice facilities in the east metro and there is usually nobody out there in the evenings, so getting a quick 9+ holes in after work is zero stress.

I did play it real late in the year though, and the greens were damn near impossible. Firm and fast didn’t even do it justice, it was more like frozen and bald.

2 Likes

Incredible practice facility

What’s so incredible? I saw a decent driving range, small bunker/wedge green and the putting green. Is there more somewhere I didn’t see?

On that topic, best public practice facilities:

1. Legends
  2. Chaska Town
  3. Stoneridge (I usually still go back to the member area as they have really nice bunker/wedge area)
  4. Braemar (used to be nice)
  5. in the summer i’ve been known to leave downtown for “lunch” and go to Columbia’s, pretty ok, off the mats sucks though.
  6. Hiawatha - nice short wedge area, multiple putting greens, grass/mat driving range
  7. Northfork - never did the 3 hole thing, but would like to.
  8. The Jewel - really nice chipping/bunker area

Nothing else sticks out to me, but would love to know more - what say the MN refugees

2 Likes

MN Valley is the best practice facility that I’ve been to, at least in the metro. Their driving range is all you need. Putting green is huge with plenty of undulation. What makes me feel all funny inside is the short range chipping and bunker area. SO good.

I would agree that Legends is #1 for public courses though.

EDIT: Honorable mention goes to Olympic Hills in the private category. Nice putting and chipping space.

3 Likes

Agree. I play out there once or twice a month and always go out an hour early to use the facilities.

I think what makes a great practice facility are the short wedge areas… TPC has a pretty nice front and back range short wedge area, Hazeltine is pretty phenomenal as well. The one I haven’t tried yet but heard the renovation is nuts is windsong… it was already nice so I can’t imagine what it is now… that club is pure golf sicko heaven.

Re: Olympic - the short range on the other side of the road is legit… if my wife didn’t hate EP I’d have bought a house that was for sale right next to it. Love that club/course.

3 Likes

Yeah, forgot about Hazeltine. Agree 100% that it all comes down to short range/chipping area. Driving range is never going to be special and putting greens are tough to fuck up.

I’m looking forward to trying to play Windsong this season. Going to make a full day of it when I can. Also got high hopes for Rochester CC, post Doak renovation.

1 Like

Other new thing is the sim bays that convert to full flight in the summer - Spring Hill has a good one but the one at Olympic is epic.

I got the latest downstroke/monthly from Olympic… it’s criminal how good of a deal they are offering

3 Likes

I would consider joining there if the drive wasn’t so brutal for me. Zero fast route or shortcut from Eagan so it turns into 45 min in traffic. My club is 18 min on a normal day, 25 on a “bad” day.

Speaking of, I do like the Bracketts practice area too. Not a top tier one but solid range, large putting greens, with a nice bunker/green side practice area. Plus they have a mid range chipping area (30-35 yards) so you can really work on those mid range chips.

Excited to see how all of it looks with the new bentgrass this summer.

1 Like

Nobody’s mentioned loggers yet? It’s kinda goofy but I love the island green and the weird chipping/putting area

What kind of deal are they offering at Olympic?

Haven’t inquired anywhere since Mendakota when I moved to Eagan 8 years ago…was some crazy good post recession deal (which most places were offering at the time).

1 Like

The downside is Mendakota’s front 9 (With the exception of #2) is one of the most mind numbing 9s I’ve played around here. Back and forth with very little variety.

Back 9 is much better, but not enough to make me join. Even with a big discount.

Weren’t you poking around at clubs to join last fall?

I would add The Wilds…just because they have a $15 all you can hit…for those that really like to grind :grin:

3 Likes