Roll Call: Mississippi

I am dying to go back to Mossy Oak and will probably do this package in June. Will probably do a twilight Sunday night round and then first out Monday morning. Not sure if that peaks anyone’s interest.

2 Likes

Let me know if you get a group together - even a small one. I’m a 9 handicap located in Poplarville, MS. Lived in BR for 10 years back in the 90s but never made it to play the Bluffs.

Joel R

For anyone in Southern MS who might be interested in driving over to NO for a day.

Headed to Waverly next weekend playing both old Waverly and Mossy Oak thinking about playing the university course!
Looking for any and all food recommendations

1 Like

Since you’ll already be in West Point, you’ll definitely have to go to Anthony’s one night, which is right up the road from Old Waverly and Mossy Oak. If it is still a thing, I know you can also “brown bag” there for $5 per bottle of wine or spirits.

Yea, I would recommend adding the University Course if you are needing another course to add to the trip. It’s a good track. The Starkville food scene is really good. Most of these places are between downtown and the Cotton District off of Main St / University Dr. I totally recommend eating at Starkville Cafe for breakfast if you have time one morning. Restaurant Tyler is extremely good food spot with a good variety of southern dishes. They also own the speakeasy downstairs called The Guest Room (door is in the alleyway out back) where you can get most of the same food. Best pizza in town is Stromboli’s and it’s not even close. Most famous place in Starkville is The Little Dooey (BBQ) and rightfully so. Humble Taco is suppose to be a brand new place that just opened up over the last year that I’ve heard good things about, but I’ve never been. My two favorite bar/restaurant spots in the Cotton District for some food and drinks are going to be Two Brother’s Smoked Meats (#1) and Bin 612 (#2). Bulldog Burger Company is pretty good down that way too. If you only have two or three meals in Starkville, I can’t recommend The Little Dooey, Stromboli’s, and Two Brother’s enough. All the places I listed are local to Starkville.

1 Like

Anthony’s for dinner. Stafford’s Big Burger for well a burger or course and milkshakes.

Friday buffet at Old Waverly is a must too

2 Likes

Recently moved to Jackson by way of Memphis, excited to be down here! We need a Mississippi refuge event somewhere.

Question for those familiar with Old Waverly/Mossy Oak. Had a weekend open up and thinking of doing a solo overnight trip over from Birmingham to play both courses for the first time.

How walkable are both courses? I’d prefer to walk if I can, but I’m sure I’ll be paired up and don’t want to hold up pace of play if they aren’t conducive to it.

Mossy Oak is definitely walkable. At Old Waverly you will be in the extreme minority if you walked.

Thanks - is it even worth attempting? Thinking I’ll play a twilight round at Old Waverly on Friday night with a morning round at Mossy Oak on Saturday.

If you are playing twilight then it’s worth a shot.

1 Like

I see a lot about Mossy Oak in this feed. Has anyone in Mississippi (or surrounding states) tried to schedule a NLU event there? Sorry if I’ve missed this, but just curious.

3 Likes

I would be willing to drive over from Montgomery if you guys got an event/meet up started. I’d bet some other Alabama guys would too

2 Likes

Little far for me for a meetup, but I would be all in on an event at Mossy Oak. Been wanting to get up there a long time.

I’d make the trip from Jackson for it. A round at Mossy Oak and dinner at Anthony’s make for a great little trip

2 Likes

You can get there in under 2.5 hours from Memphis, Jackson, and Birmingham. Mossy/Waverly combo would make for a heck of a refuge event. Count me in. Definitely would help organize.

1 Like

There would be some people from Alabama interested in playing at Mossy Oak and Old Waverly if y’all have an event, or schedule a couple of tee times. I’d prefer for the weather to warm up a bit though.

1 Like

If people can stand the heat between July 5-Aug1 rates are half at Mossy during that time. Same after aerification for the remainder of August.

1 Like

Maybe I am the only one, but maybe there are others interested in starting a Roost based on the Nest pod and the thread below. Take a look at the thread if you haven’t seen it. If you’re interested throw your information in the Google sheet link I’ve attached and we’ll see what happens.

Cheers!

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/2022-refuge-roosts-local-clubs-club-championship-outline/63652?u=livinglagunaloca

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_sE2Ub-7r1QJ-0_vBa4N3P0rHLnK50gRl7BfjrkCgzU/edit?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Google sheet looks to be view only.