Roll Call: Minnesota Part 2 - SIM MEETUP post 9471

Out of curiosity, does anyone that went in 2016 have any desire to go again?

I went to a practice round and on Sunday, and have zero desire to go again.

Well maybe to be more specific I have zero desire to pay to go again with general admission tickets. I wouldn’t rule out sitting in a private area on someone’s corporate dime.

5 Likes

Super cool and electric atmosphere on Sunday, but I saw maybe 10 shots. Would rather watch on TV on Sunday at least, but wouldn’t necessarily rule out going again on Friday or Saturday

I only did a practice round as well and have no desire to go to one of those again. I could see going with GA tickets as long as I was in a good place to see one of the video boards where they showed the matches as the got closer to the hole you were on. Although corporate dime is much preferable.

Yeah the roar from 8 was intense.

I think Friday/Saturday would actually be worse with more condensed action.

I went to a practice round. I’d do that again, especially to bring my son next time.

Everyone I know that was there Sunday said it was fun, but would never do it again.

1 Like

I’m with you. I went with my dad in '16 so not personally paying for the tickets was nice, but having a corporate tent of some kind seems way more worthwhile

I’d go. With TJ on not among the poors tho

4 Likes

Being the Ryder Cup sicko that I am, I would go. I wasn’t at the 2016 event but that was a major thing in me getting into the game of golf. (Sorry for those of you who have heard me gush about my love of the Ryder Cup so many times) but if I had the opportunity to go to an actual competition day, I would 10000% go. C-Suite passes would be preferred but would still attend for a day.

2 Likes

I think what needs to be done is clear: Refuge Corporate Tent at the ‘19 Ryder Cup.

I’m for $100. Can’t be that spendy can it?!

7 Likes

I would 100% go to a practice round again. In 2016 my son was 9, and for the next one he’ll be in his early 20’s, so we’ve already talked about going. For the actual competition though, I would prefer to be sitting at home watching all the commercials and getting updates on the scores.

3 Likes

Nest Membership next 7 years:

7 Likes

Agreed. Way privileged here, but corporate tent is only way to go at that event. Can hang out and drink and watch the action on tv and then post up along the fence when they get a hole or two away to secure a spot. Was there on 16 (new routing) when Rory made the putt and then bowed to the crowd.

Going from that on Friday to normal General Admission on Sunday was a kick in the you know where.

1 Like

I know most of them started at around 100k. In 2016.

Gotta be a quarter million minimum now.

1 Like

Oh, I’m sure by now yes.

Clearly the boys need to grease the skids with BMW and just invite all of us instead of the execs at BMW. Seems like an easy pitch.

2 Likes

Yeah I think this summarizes my thoughts exactly. Was fun and extremely glad I did it, but don’t feel compelled to do it again.

Think I would do a practice round still.

Hazeltine and the difficulty getting around and the poor viewing attributes of the course is a big part of this though. I could see potentially attending at other venues.

I do have the '16 Ryder Cup and NLU to thank for everything golf related I’ve done since then. Wasn’t really playing any golf at that time. Went to the event, and the next day still fueled by the hype I came across the post cup podcast that Soly did with KVV and Kyle Porter. Have been basically hooked by the game ever since.

6 Likes

You know, I hadn’t really thought about it, but I had gotten into NLU and golf in general late 2015. This Ryder Cup probably did a lot to launch me into sicko territory. No way I’d be as big of a golf nut without NLU, but the timing with the Ryder cup was perfect too.

1 Like

Ironically, Facebook just informed me that 6-years ago today I was at Hazeltine for a Ryder Cup practice round/celebrity tournament.

2 Likes

Only if I have premium seating in the members tent and a golf cart chauffeur to shuttle me around between holes

2 Likes

Same! We were there same day.

I remember it being a cluster getting out of there, can’t imagine what the weekend was like.

TBH, every pro tournament in the world is this.

I’ve NEVER enjoyed myself when “walking around” because you don’t see shit. You have to find a spot to sit, drink and watch them all pass by from a good vantage.

Ryder Cup is harder, because the number of groups is so small.

1 Like