Roll Call: Minnesota Part 2 - SIM MEETUP post 9471

My early answer was 3, but I’m reminded of the insanity of the 7th green. 7 is my sleeper pick.

1 Like

I can’t stop thinking about that redan

2 Likes

I need to play it again. I remember some of them, but to pretend to remember each hole by number? I’m a face guy, not a name guy.

10 will be a memory forever because of Charlie’s shot, and my subsequent two putt (method more than result) but there were a few doozies. And that long uphill par 4 with deep bunkers and the pin placement being tucked behind a little swale in front!

7 Likes

Crazy to say landmand is a more playable less punishing Erin hills? (Oh good for me I’ve played both)

The changes in elevation, never hitting the yardage because it’s plus or minus clubs depending on wind and green elevation, fairway bunkers, super wide but if your lost with driver it’s a long day

I think Erin hills greens push you away from the hole while landmand tries to push you towards the hole

7 Likes

This for sure. Sand Hills, Sand Valley, Landmand

1 Like

Hard to pick a favorite but the closing stretch 15-18 were so so good. I could play 17 + 18 all day.

One stuck out to me as kinda stinky (relatively speaking) - #6, the second par 5 on the front. It was very…quirky (borderline unfair). Once leaving the tee box and being at the bottom of the hill, I had no sense of what was in/out of position until I finally made it up to the green.

If I were to play it again it definitely wouldn’t be as bad…but, just felt more difficult than fun (which stands out because rest of course was so fun)

2 Likes

I bought the yardage book and there was some version of “only through repeated play can one score on this hole” repeated quite a few times throughout

3 Likes

Yea the yardage book was well done on giving relative info to “proper” lines, hitting those lines……lol yea say no more

4 Likes

I saved my $30 and learned through experience

4 Likes

Having played it twice now and doubling it both times: can confirm

1 Like

I think that’s fair. For some reason both times 6 and 15 have eaten me alive.

1 Like

Back 9, no notes - all bangers. Redan was very, very good and I can attest the kicker works as design (much to my dismay). Honestly up there with the pac dunes redan, which is saying something.

Notes on the front 9: #8 feels like they can really only pin it in the back left which makes it an amazing hole. Pin location yesterday made it feel like an after thought and was boring. #2 was meh.

This course will either fairly or unfairly get compared to Mammoth but I liked it a lot more with 24 hours of reflection now. Both have tons of strategy off the tee, however the greens at Landmand heighten the need for proper lines to be taken.

6 Likes

What an amazing course! I had so much fun off the tee trying to pick a line where I felt like I was in a battle with Rob Collins to see if I could put myself in the right spot or if Rob was going to put me in the bunker.
Some favorites come to mind (7, 10, 17) but I think if I played it again with different pins I would find new favorites.
It was a blast and I think may be my favorite course I’ve played in America (not a particularly impressive list yet).

3 Likes

Landmand was a sick course and not sure exactly what I compare it to. Elements of Sand Valley, Mammoth and Old Mac.

I played Troy Burne today and the greens felt tiny. Can’t imagine what the munis with small greens would have felt like today.

10 Likes

Playing my tiny greens today, can confirm it’s quite the whiplash

6 Likes

The only courses I could think of that had a comparable feel in scale were the Sand Valley courses, but even those feel dwarfed in comparison at times. I said it while we were out there, but I think it’s the most dramatic course I’ve ever played. There’s room to move, but it feels like you’re constantly given the opportunity to hit the hero shot.

5 Likes

Agree on “most dramatic” with Austin. I called it a “Six Flags over Chicago” in golf.

10 Likes

overwhelming. unconscionably large. loved every second.

#1: 17 - time to eat.
#2: 10 - surprises await / secret widest of wide open fairway / punch bowl. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

#3: 18 - hit my best shot there. thats just one of the reasons i like it. sue me.

14 Likes

Anyone interested in a 7:42 am at Fox Hollow on Sunday?

1 Like

im in. but why fox hollow….

1 Like