Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

Gotta hear your review at Maximania

1 Like

Greywalls is somehow still underrated, what an incredible piece of land. The front nine is such a wild ride.

2 Likes

I agree that a lot of people prefer Forest Dunes over the Loop but I think the Loop blows it away from an architectural standpoint as well as it playability. The Dunes is a great northern MI golf experience but is not that much better than something like Wieskopf’s Cedar River course in Bellaire. The Loop is different from all other MI resort courses that I’ve played.

4 Likes

I’m surprised the University of Michigan course didn’t make it onto the list. Stoatin is having a moment right now, but I’ve heard that it was more enjoyable a couple of years ago and that the gunch was almost unplayable last year

Stoatin Brae is cool. But I’m surprised at the accolades it has collects. I’m in Grand Rapids and I don’t think I’d put it top 5 that I can drive to in 60-90 minutes.

4 Likes

Stoatin Brae would be a GREAT golf course if the overgrown weeds were heather that you could actually play out of. Until then, it doesn’t deserve to sniff this list.

1 Like

You mean what’s supposed to be heather actually isn’t? That’s disappointing, I want to try and check it out this year.

@dnquiggs Hopefully the rumored renovation/restoration by Devries happens and gets it some more recognition.

Last year, anything off the fairway was unfindable. Not unplayable. Unfindable.
It is hard for me to believe that is the design intention on a golf course that is intended to play firm & fast. It certainly looked like it should be heather that was overgrown. Maybe it has been improved this year?

1 Like

I don’t disagree with @CaddieCoveralls at all… still think SB is worth checking out.

Stoatin is a cool track, but I wouldn’t put it that high. It has some serious potential but it’s not there just yet.

Most of my friends prefer Forest Dunes over the Loop. The only time I go up there is on a 4 day guys trip where we play 6 rounds. When The Loop first opened, we played a 50/50 split between the Loop and Dunes and a lot of the guys hated it.

I 100% appreciate the Loop architecturally and do think it’s the better course. It’s just really hard to go from playing the ground game on the Loop back to FD. Especially when it’s a style of golf you rarely play at home. It also probably doesn’t help that we played it a bunch the year it opened and the greens were rock hard.

Edit: Also worth noting that when it was walking only, a lot of guys hated walking 3 of 6 rounds in 4 days.

2 Likes

I think the hardest thing when playing those two courses is changing mindsets between the courses. The ground game vs. the more parkland style is just the start of it. Especially on a guys trip where there’s a lot (of jackassery!) going on, dealing with the Loop is a huge adjustment between the ears.

1 Like

Absolutely. Plus I think The Loop tends to be more penal on average shots. There’s more space to get crooked off the tee but lots of places to get absolutely ejected around the greens.

I think the ideal weekend there is:

Friday- 18 at FD
Saturday- FD morning/ Loop afternoon
Sunday- Loop opposite way and head home

It’s just the bouncing back and forth that sucks.

2 Likes

Totally agree. This would be a really good itinerary for a visit there.

I am a huge fan of the Loop…but it also suits my game well. Typically a very average ball striker, but above average short game. I find it can almost be MORE penalizing if you are used to going after pins and THEN hit average shots. IMO the key to the Loop is managing your potential misses in spots you can get up and down. Miss in the wrong spot there - complete ejection.

Absolutely. And these are friends who think the Meadowbrook renovation stinks. Very little respect for firm and fast and width and angles.

2 Likes

Yeesh, seriously? They big fans of the Faz?

It just goes over their heads. But yah, I’m sure they’re into the Faz.

We have a group trip in June and our Saturday rounds are FD in the AM and Loop Red in the PM. Ive never played both in the same day so it will be interesting.

1 Like

Anyone over on the west side ever play at Egypt valley in GR? Visiting the fam out this way and this place is down the street. Looks legit!

They chopped a lot of that down. Played the other day and didn’t lose a ball. Certainly a first for me at Stoatin.

1 Like