Roll Call - Metro NYC

Didn’t know where else to ask this but does anyone have an extra bethpage black pencil they would be willing to part with? I was able to play it on my trip last month and they were out of branded pencils :sob: need one for my collection! I am at Torrey Pines fairly regularly if someone is willing to make a trade!

If no one has one I am planning on going on October 19th, and can swipe one for you!

1 Like

Is anybody from the area interested in playing with me next week on Wednesday on the Black Course? I am going to be traveling alone and just playing, but would love to play with some members if you interested. Let me know.

I was thinking about trying to get out on Black on Wednesday as well. A couple of our guys are playing today and are giving a scouting report of the turf since it was punched last week.

Wait, i think I’m a week off. I’ll be out of town on the 19th sorry !!

Does anyone have intel on whether the greens were healed at Bethpage Black? If not I’ll wait and try again another time, but would rather go when the greens aren’t recovering.

Thanks!

@CaptainHarlow

The greens were perfect, I’m pretty sure they aerated the fairways which had a little sand in some parts but nothing crazy. It definitely didn’t affect the round. I actually think they rough was cut a little bit which helped the score!

2 Likes

Did you get a bethpage black pencil. I would love to make the trade as I am trying tomfhase down a dozen or so tracks that I played before i started collectting. Cheers

I might have some lying around somewhere. Will take a look. If not, I’m sure someone in the NY chapter has one. We’re having a big event this weekend so I’ll bug someone if I don’t have one

Ive got one for ya !!

clarkie had already shipped me one! Thank you for following up. I’ve got some Torrey pencils if you would like one, i’ll DM you.

New Yorkers, I’m heading to Long Island for a wedding in late March and looking for some recommendations on courses to play. I think we’re staying in Great River if that helps pinpoint location.

2 Likes

Hey @Gobrownies09 , if you’re staying in Great River than the easiest and best option is Timber Point. I’ve never actually played it but people in the NY group rave about it. It has 27 holes but I’m pretty sure the Red/Blue routing is what you want to play. Blue has the best stretch of golf.

Of course, if you wanted to make a bit of a drive you can go play Bethpage. Black won’t be open that time of year but all the other ones are. Top of the list would be Red if you went there but the others are also very good

Only caveat is that late March is very much hit or miss in NY weather-wise.

2 Likes

Thanks. Bethpage is out of the cards as public transit might be how we’re getting around. I think it’s the last week in March so if any of you guys want to get out for a round at timber point I’m your huckleberry.

2 Likes

That’s a hike for me but always love meeting out-of-towners. Keep me posted and maybe I can make a trip

1 Like

If you were me how would you respond to my pal who posted this? Any suggestions I can pass along? Anything he’s desperately leaving off? Under the radar public gems?

Oh boy where do we begin??

First of all, Ferry Point is fine but I’m not sure why he wants to play that in the same breath as Winged Foot, Sleepy and Bethpage.

Is the assumption here that he has access to WF, Sleepy and Hudson? Hudson National is fine but definitely not a must play. Assuming he has access, I would play a handful of courses in Westchester (county where WF, Sleepy and Hudson are) that are WAY better than Hudson:

Quaker Ridge
Westchester CC
Wykagyl
Century
Old Oaks
Purchase

I would also be more than happy to host him at Knollwood CC.

Happy to help but need a lot more info on his golf network

3 Likes

Agreed on access; instead of traveling to upstate NY to hit Hudson National, he should be driving east to any number of destinations. Not really NYC, but regional.

@gremlingolfer Rock Spring in NJ for “muni/public gem”, but if he wants the true NYC golf experience, join @clarkie at Marine Park in BK.

6 Likes

And an address to send the invite to the next RACDG event

2 Likes