Roll Call - Metro NYC

flying into ewr and hitting up rock spring would be super easy.

3 Likes

One issue.
Bethpage not open that Monday. Plus the other three would shoot 1000. May have to do that one alone.

I was told Yale will continue to be public after the reno is done. Now, it might drastically increase in price I suspect but it will be open to the public. The school has changed their stance on it.

4 Likes

Bethpage has 4 other courses and at least 3 of them are worth playing and much easier for less skilled golfers. Ranking: Red, Yellow Back 9, Green, Yellow Front 9, Blue.

If Red got a face lift I’m willing to argue it would be better than Black

4 Likes

It isn’t already?

1 Like

I dunno man. There are parts of Black that are pretty great

3 Likes

Hey Metro NYC Nest members. I am leaning towards playing Rock Spring on Saturday July 23rd in the morning if I can get a tee time before 9:30am. Anyone here want to join me?

Playing Bethpage Black on the 22nd as well if anyone wants to join. Sleeping in my car overnight though which might make it tough to link up.

Cheers,

• Alex
2 Likes

How did it go?

Oh boy. It was a HOT and humid night in the car. Did not really sleep but it was all worth it for the first tee time out on the black course. I arrived around 10:30pm and was the 4th car in line. No one else showed up until 3:30am then about 15 other cars came before 4:30 when they gave out the tickets.

Being first out on the black was super fun. No waiting, no one in front of us to see, and we dropped the group behind us fairly quickly. Hot and humid on the course, not much of any breeze. Course was in fantastic shape. Glad I got the full experience.

Was surprised that two of the vehicles before me came that early to play red. Seemed like Red was popular and tee times started at 5:50am which was very early for golf.

14 Likes

love the red course, it’s a great one there for sure

1 Like

Red is more popular with locals since it is easier, you can take a cart, and the tee times start even earlier. A lot of the older local crew that is there every weekend almost exclusively plays the Red. They can get off early, play in 4 hours, and be home before the family realizes you left.

Makes sense. I heard lots of good things about Red. If (when) I go back it is on my play list for sure.

1 Like

I always say its kinda like playing the black with the volume turned down. Less/shorter/thinner rough and fescue; fewer bunkers that aren’t nearly as deep; flatter; shorter; less demanding. But at the end of the day still a good course with some similar design characteristics.

2 Likes

Damn, that sounds ideal. I definitely need to go play it then. It is the rough that gets me on the Black. Everything else is great in my books. The fairways aren’t as small as I remembered but missing them is extremely painful to the scorecard. I am not nearly good enough (especially with how slow the greens played) to make a lot of up and downs.

Noted. I might try to come back again next year with a friend if we can squeak on at a private long island course or two.

1 Like

Trip to NYC coming up with four guys.

One guy hosting us in Darien, Connecticut.

Going to Roger Waters.

Going to Mets game and Yankees game.

Gonna play Pound Ridge one day and Country Club of Darien another day.

I am Thinking of adding one more golf round but logistics complicated:

— Trump Ferry
— Bethpage
— Yale

2 Likes

All of those are solid options. Personally I would go to Yale to see it prior to the Hanse restoration, which might be one of the most important and epic restorations in golf.

I grew up playing Bethpage and all, except Blue, are worth the trip (Rankings: Black, Red, Yellow, Green… distant 5th, Blue)

Ferry Point is overpriced but it’s a good track (political views aside).

4 Likes

Which is easier:

— fly into JFk and go to Bethpage

— fly into LaGuardia and play Trump Ferry.

Heading to midtown Manhattan for dinner that night.

Easier would be Trump/LGA. LGA is not far from Trump at all and much easier to get to midtown that night.

JFK to Bethpage is not bad though (maybe 30-40 mins?), especially if you’re arriving in the AM (going against city traffic). Bethpage back to midtown would be about an hour or so

1 Like

Thank you. Will go with that and easier to get a tee time. Odds of a non NYS golfer at Bethpage are low as I can only book 5 days out.

If you are keen on Bethpage obviously as I noted above there is the sleep in your car method but also tee times on the day of have some availability people do cancel. But it is risky.

Yale is excellent, some conditioning issues, otherwise an incredible round and a must see/play. They can’t/won’t do anything about the conditioning issues, too much $$ to fix temporarily. The entire restoration will remove just about everything on the property. Will be north of $30 million :open_mouth:

4 Likes