Roll Call - Metro NYC

5.5 is realistic. It is slow not as much as you are waiting on people, though you definitely are just it is a tough walk and you can lose a lot of balls without a forecaddie.

5 Likes

Agree with @Dags98, 5 hours is typical. unlikely youā€™ll be waiting on other groups but itā€™s a huge ballpark and death marchā€™s are never short :wink:

4 Likes

On my business trip to New York next week, Iā€™m going to the Mets game on the 18th (sadly after the mariners have left town) with all my coworkers.

Anything I should make a point to seek out? Weā€™re sitting down the left field line, in a bit past 3rd base.

There not a ton near Citi Field, pretty good brewery on the far side of the stadium but not a lot of other options. If youā€™re a tennis fan the US Open venue is nearby.

Hey Metro New York golfers! I am driving down from Canada on July 21st to play at Bethpage Black as a single on Friday July 22nd (staying in my car overnight). Any interest from anyone here to play? I am going solo on this trip.

If I show up around 10pm on Thursday night, will that be ok for me securing a single tee time in the morning? Sure hope so!

After my round on Friday morning, I have some time Friday afternoon and likely Saturday morning. Any recommendations on where to play that is close to Essex County Country Club? Playing there Saturday afternoon.

Hey Al! Lots of folks here that Iā€™m sure would like to tee it up with you. I may be off work that day, but itā€™s a game day (eve) decision. For Sat, a bunch of us are fans of Francis Byrne public course which is right next to ECCC and has some cool template holes. Thereā€™s also Rock Spring, our spiritual home, nearby. @HibernatingBear may have additional suggestions.

2 Likes

Thanks! I did have Rock Spring noted on my Google Maps saved list. I have also done the same for Francis Bryne. I will keep both in mind. Much appreciated

1 Like

New member here, looking forward to getting involved.

Iā€™m on the Westchester/Putnam border and happy to see many of my regional favorites are shared with the group as well.

@HibernatingBear i noticed you mentioned a local WhatsApp, would love to get in on that as well as Iā€™m often riding solo on weekday rounds.

1 Like

Hey, welcome Pat. Yeah Iā€™ll DM you later tonight.

FYI - we moved from Whatā€™s App to discord bc weā€™ve gotten too big

Clarkie ticked off the 2 good public tracks around ECCC. Lots of private courses also in the neighborhood! Great Irish bar called the Shillelagh Club next door to ECCC!

3 Likes

Hey all - I am a member of the First Flight roost, who will be moonlighting in Bushwick for a month starting after the fourth. Hoping to get out and play a few rounds, Bethpage Black is at top of the list, thanks for all the useful info here. Any other advice or recommendations on where to play?

2 Likes

There are a few places you can get to via public transport in the city; Marine Park is solid, Dyker is bad, Van Cortland is pretty ok. If you have a car it makes Jersey and Long Island golf pretty accessible.

2 Likes

Dyker has great bones @Nsandila but last I heard itā€™s in mediocre shape. But itā€™s golf in Brooklyn and you could have a fun pairing

2 Likes

Ill have my car but trying not to drive for obvs reasons,ā€¦hoping to get up to Yale potentially too if anyone has a connect

Itā€™s open to the public. Register through their website.

1 Like

Heading to NYC Aug 11 to 15.
Recommendations golfwise?

Hey @baberuth sorry saw this yesterday and meant to respond last night. Will you have access to a car and how far are you willing to travel? Within the city, the general consensus fave course is Marine Park in Brooklyn (you also have Van Cortlandt in the Bronx). You also have Ferry Point but thatā€™s on the pricey side and, depending on your political leanings, you may not want to ā€œsupportā€ the course at this time. If you venture out of the city, Long island obviously has Bethpage (Black gets all the love the other 4 are very good). If you head to NJ, Rock Spring is the spiritual home of the NY RACDG Roost (public Raynor). If you head north you could play Pound Ridge (Dye) or head into CT to play Yale. Weā€™re also holding an event while youā€™re here at Keney Park in Hartford, CT but thatā€™s a serious haul from NYC.

Thereā€™s plenty of other very good options and the NY crew is always happy to get out and play. There might even be other opportunities to play private courses in the area if dates work with people. Feel free to DM me and I can try to help you out as much as possible.

2 Likes

Can rent a car if need be
Funny thing is one of the buddies on the trip lives in Darien Connecticut so we may be near your event and/or Yale.
Is Yale playable even if you have no connection with Yale?
Can fly to any of Newark, LaGuardia or JFK from Toronto.

Yale is now public (until after the Hanse restoration when Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll ruin the fun and make it unaccessible again). Check out the website and you can sign up to make tee times.

If youā€™re staying in the city any of these options are fine. Rock Spring is not too far from Newark. JFK gives you the best access to south shore of LI/Bethpage. LGA gives you best access to northern LI/Westchester/CT

Our event at Keney Park (a fantastic Emmett course) will be the afternoon of 8/13. I donā€™t live too far from Darien and, if dates/times work would be happy to have you at my course, Knollwood CC in Westchester county (north of the NYC)

1 Like

Thank you so much. Very generous of you to be this helpful.

As of now, plan is:

Aug 11: me only; fly into one of 3 nyc airports in the am; golf somewhere near one of three airports.
Aug 11: all four; dinner in Manhattan; overnight in Darien
Aug 12: all four; golf somewhere
Aug 13: all four; day on boat; evening roger waters concert
Aug 14: all four; Mets game
Aug 15: me only; golf and/or Yankees game

2 Likes