Roll Call - Metro NYC

New member here folks! living in Jersey City and I play all over Monmouth County and central/northern jersey. always looking to play with some avid golfers. excited to get to know the community and #getinvolved !!

3 Likes

@HibernatingBear

Hey all, Iā€™ll be flying into JFK and spending a few days on Long Island in the middle of May for work. I fly back home on Thursday the 19th, but was hoping to get a later flight, and see about getting a round in at Bethpage that morning.

Iā€™d love to get my 12hcp-teeth kicked in by the Black, but any of the courses would do.

I donā€™t know that Iā€™ll be able to sleep in my rental car overnight for a tee time like Iā€™ve heard of some doing. Is there any chance of me getting Thursday morning tee time booking as an non-resident (on any of the courses)?

Alternatively, anyone want to help me out and play a round?

Also itā€™s not totally impossible Iā€™d be able to get out after work stuff is done for the day for an evening round Tuesday or Wednesday, if the morning is totally out of scope, work stuff is just a little unpredictable.

2 Likes

You should not have any problem getting a tee time as a walkup on one of the courses. Each course has a number of tee times reserved each day for walkups. As a single, youā€™d have a good chance at getting lucky with a decent time on the Black but will have no problem getting on a course.

The clubhouse opens at 5AM these days (double check the time as it shifts during the year). Plan to get there as early as you can and see what is available. For reference, I was there Saturday at 6:45 and there were times on all courses throughout the morning, including a foursome at 8 on Black. Good luck and enjoy!

3 Likes

As a single you wonā€™t need to sleep in your car to get a tee time. Especially not on a Thursday morning. You can get to the parking lot right before they hand out the tickets at 4:30am (I checked it will be 4:30 that week) and very likely get an early time on any of the courses. Honestly you may not even have to do that. Iā€™d be very very surprised if you couldnā€™t get off of Black, Red, or Blue before 10 if you get there at like 6 or 7 on a Thurs.

You can also try refreshing the tee time site a bunch the night before and something might open up (tee time cancellations/modifications have to be done 12 hours before your tee time so things sometimes open up the night before).

Be aware that youā€™re gonna be on the course for about 5.5 hours

4 Likes

Hi all,

I have 3 spots available for a tee time at Inness on Thursday May 5 at 12:30pm. Would love to meet up with some fellow refugees in lieu of playing solo. Looks like itā€™s a little under 2 hours from central NJ/NYC so let me know or DM if youā€™re interested in joining.

Long story short, Iā€™ll be on the way to a bachelor party in Hunter, NY and figured a King Collins on the way was a good excuse to get some more golf in. Was hoping some other guys going to the bachelor party would want to play but theyā€™re not as depraved as me.

1 Like

If you reach out again just before a week out, we can see if any NYā€™ers are looking to play and can try to make a tee time for you. Early in the season seems to be a little bit easier on the booking front. Feel free to tag me and Iā€™LL see what I can do!!

1 Like

Apparently Iā€™m staying at the Hyatt right next to Wind Watch GCC, and I wonā€™t have my own rental car, so I wonā€™t be able to jog over to Bethpage tragically.

Is Wind Watch worth lugging my own Clubs cross country for an evening round or 2 after my daily meetings? Or should I just grab some rental clubs if I feel like going out for a round?

Absolutely notā€¦ rent clubs or just take a dump on the course :wink:

2 Likes

Damn, that bad?

Edit: Iā€™m honestly not sure if this is sarcasm, the winky face is throwing me for a loop here

Hahaā€¦ not sarcasm, I played it once, albeit many years ago, and it was so miserable.

@CaptainHarlow we need to put out the Bat signal to Mr Mulle and get this man on St Georgeā€™s

EDIT: just realized Iā€™ll be in Houston that week, was hoping to pull the strings and join you

1 Like

What ever I do, I likely wonā€™t be free until after 4pm on Tuesday/Wednesday. If someone wants so ferry me out for 9+ holes somewhere worth while Iā€™m 100% on board, but theyā€™ll have to be flexible.

4pm makes it a little difficult all the way out on the island!

1 Like

Yeah, thus why I was considering just golfing right where I was

Wind Watch is a nice course IMO, as far as public golf goes on LI. As a local, itā€™s not worth playing regularly bc the tee times are too expensive. But if youā€™re staying right there, definitely worth playing. Thereā€™s a great course further east thatā€™s run by the same company as Wind Watch (IIRC), named Willow Creek. I think Willow Creek is better, but you wonā€™t exactly be able to walk over to it from the Hyatt.

Edit: Thereā€™s a course really close to Wind Watch called Stonebridge. Itā€™s in ok shape, but it has an interesting story. Stonebridge is one of the few public courses in the area that has template holes (Biarritz, Short, Redan (kind of), Alps). The tee times there are way more reasonable than at WW.

1 Like

If a person were traveling for work this week, and thinking about showing up to Bethpage as a single on a Friday AM and hoping for the best, what % chance would you give him to play the black course?

I would say a pretty good chance; check the tee time portal throughout the week and you may get lucky. Tee time cancelation policy is 12 hours in advance, so spots usually open up the night before (but can go fast, so check often). If not, then worst case scenario you can try showing up.

Agree with the above but also as a single, if you showed up at 6am you would prob get out on the Black by 10am at the latest I would bet (earlier you can get there the better the chances). At worst, you play one of the other courses which are also very good (Ranked by me: Red, Yellow, Green, Blue)

Thanks @goosestringbean and @HibernatingBear! updates to follow if I go through with it.

2 Likes

Another Bethpage Black question, what is the realistic pace of play? 5-5.5?

I too will be in the area later in the summer, and at a certain point, an available tee time in the afternoon is not a good tee time for finishing 18.

Thanks

1 Like