Roll Call - Metro NYC

Friends,

Making the trek to Bethpage tonight and playing Black tomorrow. I haven’t been, but my friends have - should I one-up them and splurge on a caddy?

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend it personally unless you’ll really struggle to carry/push your own bag. Bethpage is kind of the Island of Misfit Caddies. Guys who couldn’t caddie at private clubs and needed a place to go.

Most aren’t going to give you insights, they’ll just be a pack mule.

5 Likes

Hey new member here from Union County, NJ! Would love to join the WhatsApp @HibernatingBear.

Also wanted to see if anyone here is a member at Metuchen Golf Club. Interested in joining, looks like a great club.

2 Likes

Hey guys, headed up that way Thursday night. Plan was to play Bethpage Black Friday but struck out on reserving tee times even with a resident. New plan is to get there early in hopes of getting an early tee time. Do they still do this? If so, how many slots do they reserve and what is the best way to get one?

Will you be playing a single? If so you’ll definitely get on (even as a twosome). If you get there by 5ish you’ll almost definitely be out before 10, if not earlier. The demand is not as high these days and I believe every other time is still reserved for walk ups. I could be wrong on that but either way, it’ll work out.

Thanks. Hope to play as a twosome. The guy I am with has done it several times but hasn’t lived there in years so he wasn’t sure if something changed.

The weather is also not great for Friday which will keep people away

Saw that… fingers crossed.

Would Blauvelt be consider metro. Ill be there for work next week looking to walk a few after training

The argument of what’s technically upstate vs downstate New York might be as old as the state itself.

If you’re in Blauvelt, cross into NJ to play at River Vale, it’s maybe 20 mins from there? Pretty good track.

Rock Spring is a little further into NJ, haven’t played there personally, but gets recommended a lot.

1 Like

Playing Rock Spring for the first time tomorrow (11/9) at 10AM and had a buddy cancel on me, open spot available if anyone is interested!

1 Like

@HibernatingBear bet someone in the chat would love to join!

Making my first trip to NYC this month. I got my wife a ticket to the Diana musical on the afternoon of the 15th, so I’m taking the train to Queens to play Flushing Meadows Pitch and Putt.

Anything I need to know? Do they rent clubs or do I need to find a wedge and putter somewhere?

If you’re around, you’re more than welcome to join me.

We’re live with the NY Metro Club Roost thread for those interested

4 Likes

So there’s a strong possibility I’ll be moving up to NYC by the end of 2022 for a two to three year work rotation. Definitely excited about the opportunity, but realizing that the amount of accessible golf will be way different than where I’m currently living (Tulsa). As someone that is used to playing two-three times a week, is it going to be a lot of work to find my way to a course on the weekends? And if so, is it basically a full day getting out somewhere decent for 18 holes? Just working on what the golf expectations should be before showing up and finding out it’s way different than what I’m currently thinking.

Looking forward to the chance to meeting some of the NYC Refugees, though!

4 Likes

It really depends where you live within the city and if you have a car. Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx is accessible via the 1 train and takes about 30 minutes to get to from Harlem (probably 1hr+ from downtown). Mosholu is a well-maintained 9-hole course right near Vanny accessible via the 4. Now I’m in Brooklyn and mostly play Marine Park, which is about a 30 minute drive from Prospect Park area. There are several munis in Queens and the Bronx that are fine but can get really slow, especially on Summer weekends. Rock Spring is a hidden gem about 15 miles outside the city in NJ and a Refuge favorite, but not very accessible via public transit.

Feel free to reach out if you have other questions and happy to link up once you make the move!

1 Like

I really appreciate the response! Probably will not have a car, so this is all really helpful.

My initial expectations were that nothing would really be easy to get to at all and either not good or super slow, but now I’m really encouraged after checking out those places you mentioned. Thought I might be stuck just hitting balls at Chelsea Piers for a couple years.

1 Like

To add to this, Bethpage is actually very easy to get to via public transportation. LIRR to Bethpage/Farmingdale and 5 min can ride. No more than an hour commute.

We also have a thriving community here and you can get a game anywhere and prob have someone drive or pick you up from a train station. You can absolutely make it work!

4 Likes

Man, just checked out the Bethpage website and had no idea it was that reasonable for state residents. This is gonna be sick!

2 Likes

Just don’t get a place in Jersey City :wink:

1 Like