Roll Call - Metro NYC

Anyone here playing in the TGJ event at Noyac on Sept 27? My usual partner for these sorts of things can’t get the day off, wondering if i might find some friendly refugees there if I sign on solo

It’s too rich for me but if you’re going to be in the area for a few days hit me up for a round! I believe you have my number

1 Like

Absolutely! Def a bit of a pricey round but I’d have family on LI to crash with and take the bite out of the trip. Will let you know if I’m up in the neighborhood.

1 Like

Hey everyone, I’ll be up in NJ for the Mixed Troubles event and visiting family. I’m looking for a round on 9/12 for myself and a buddy. Been firing off some requests on Thousand Greens (s/o to Liberty National’s ridiculous request/fulfilled ratio), anyone looking to play that Sunday?

Hey, just reaching out here looking for some NYC suggestions. I’m looking into surprising my fiancée with a trip to NYC the weekend before Christmas and was looking for suggestions on areas to stay. Neither one of us have ever been to NYC, so we would probably want to hit a lot of the touristy highlights like Time Square, Statue of Liberty, etc. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

I’m actually considering it right now. I’ve been on the fence price wise. Wondering if the recent vaccination requirement and the price are keeping folks away.

1 Like

Are you just looking for hotels to stay in or things to do?

As for hotels, if you’re trying to keep it on the (relatively) cheap I would suggest the Downtown Marriott or the Conrad.

Yes both are downtown but you don’t want to be anywhere near Times Square at night (really anytime… Time Square is hell on earth but I understand wanting to see it). Also being downtown will keep you close to the ferry for Statue of Liberty, Wall Street and right by Ground Zero (highly recommend the 9/11 Memorial). This area of downtown also gives you easy access to subways that can take you anywhere in the city.

Christmas time in NYC, as you probably can imagine, is bonkers so book now! Let me know if you need advice on anything

1 Like

I also reccomend the Chelsea area - close enough penn station and also port authority. easy walk to the highline/Hudson yards/west side type locations. close enough to Times Square without being IN Times Square. Fashion district nearby. close to many subway lines.

have stayed here several times when in the city for a night or two without breaking the bank.

if you want something more fancy (and way more expensive), I also like down around Madison Square Park area - this place is super nice (again with price tag that goes along with that). Again, close to the N/R lines to get to pretty much anywhere. Eataly right near by.

1 Like

@HibernatingBear and @ChickPhilA, thanks for the recommendations! We had roughly been thinking about staying closer to midtown simply for the central location, but we weren’t really sure since we’ve never been. With it being near Christmas, we would probably want to hit Rockefeller plaza and all that. It looks like there is a fairly convenient train from Newark to Grand Central Station that we will probably use to get to and from Newark. @HibernatingBear is the dislike for Time Square the people factor or more of a safety concern?

Hopping in re: Times Square - it’s just tourist central. It’s fine safety wise (it’s 1000000% better than it was in the 80s and even 90s). It’s just A LOT.

That being said, between the subway and walking, nothing is very far away no matter where you lay your head at night. Like if you get yourself to Times Square (accessible by almost every major subway line) it’s a very easy walk over to 5th ave/the tree or down to Macy’s/Herald Square and even Empire State building.

The train from Newark (be it NJ Transit or PATH) will take you right into Penn Station - 34th and 7th - smack dab between Chelsea and Times Square/hells kitchen on the west side.

2 Likes

Okay! I gotcha! I’m from a city in southern Indiana with very limited public transit, so I’m not used to having easy access to other areas via public transit. Lol, this is all somewhat last minute since we have United flight credits expiring at the end of the year. Figured I’d just reach out here for general help/ideas!

2 Likes

Dm me if you want any advice/ideas or have questions. I’ve lived here 11 years.

DM me if you’re gonna pull the trigger! I’m off that day and surrounding days, could make a LI visit out of it.

@Douger23 as a former New Yorker I’m gonna ditto the Times Square warning. My former employer has an office there and it was the absolute worst. It’s a lot safer than it was 20/30 years ago (and thank god they killed the car traffic, people got hit all the time) but it’s still a shitshow. Get in, get your photo, get out, don’t talk to any Elmo’s and don’t bother to eat anywhere in a 2 block radius.

Ultimately, planning a trip to NYC is more about knowing what to avoid than what to do. Times Square, Sbarro Pizza and the Manhattan Chick-Fil-A top my personal avoidable list. Get up there, get lost, walk all over, and have a ton of fun doing whatever you damn well please.

1 Like

Some of the best advice you’ll ever get.

When in doubt don’t look to Michael Scott for advice

Nothing really to add, the others have nailed it. Leverage the subway system, it may look intimidating but it’s your friend. When in doubt New Yorkers are actually nice and helpful.

4 Likes

A nice big group of golfers will be teeing it up at Rock Spring Golf Course for the final big event of the season! Come join one of the few Raynor public tracks for what is going to be a great event. $125 gets you golf BBQ and come cash prizes. Join The Shut, I promise it will be a blast! The Shut — RACDG NY Metro Chapter

1 Like

Figured I would drop in this thread as a starting point, I am going to be flying into Newark Thursday night and visiting family in Port Jervis. My original plan was to play the West Point Course on Friday but they do not book tee times for solos, and I will call Friday morning to see if there are openings.

In case this doesn’t work out, any recommendations for where to play in the area? Only my second trip to the area, and first opportunity to play golf. I would like to keep it around the Newark to Newburgh area, because I have to drop off the rental car at Newburgh that afternoon.

Thanks in advance!

Rock Spring in West orange, NJ - can’t go wrong there - public (as of 2019) Raynor!

6 Likes

Links at Union Vale is about 40 minutes from Newburgh, and a favorite of a lot of golfers in the NY Metro group.

3 Likes

Some great suggestions already but I’ll give a few going from close to Newark to close to Newburgh:

Rock Spring (Raynor)
River Vale (Ross… apparently)
Mansion Ridge
Links at Unionvale (my fave course in the Hudson Valley and has a great membership of old, Irish guys that make the pub a joy for pre/post round drinks/food)
Centennial
Casperkill

Rock Spring and Unionvale are personally head and shoulders above the others though

1 Like

Thanks everyone! Looks like most of these are slim pickings so I am going to abort trying to get on at West Point and secure a time at Mansion Ridge (Rock Spring and Unionvale didn’t have anything in the morning). Looking forward to playing something different than flat South Georgia and Hilton Head courses!

2 Likes