Roll Call - Metro NYC

Just moved to the city. Work unfortunately makes it tough to get out for many rounds but can sometimes swing a weekend tee time. If anyone is going out this weekend at any point and has an opening, let me know!

1 Like

Hello! Iā€™m new here, so apologies if this has been discussed already. Are there any groups in the NYC area that play consistently together? Iā€™ve joined the LPGA Amateur Golf Association, which has been great but was just wondering if anyone has any other recs on groups to join. Looking for a group that has a weekly thing going. Thank you!

6 Likes

@jaya @tuckedpin and @LeifSkodnick we have a thriving group in the NY Metro area. We really organized ourselves this winter and have regular (every month or so) formal events plus guys in the group playing with each other on a daily basis. Check out our website and feel free to DM me if youā€™re interested. We mainly communicate through our WhatsApp chat.

@jaya you would be the first female to join our group and we would love to have you! If thatā€™s too much pressure thereā€™s also GreuterGolf which you can check out on IG or I believe Jenny (@gruetergolf ) checks in here every once in a while

6 Likes

Would love to learn more - will DM you!

I have a tee time at Brookeville Country Club that I bought through a charity auction. Looks like a cool, funky, quirky, old school Raynor from the aerials.

Looking to fill out the 4some. Tentatively playing 7/24 after 11am.

Anyone interested?

If the date changes I would be interestedā€¦ ha

I actually live in Ohio now so I just going to be in for the weekend. Set on that date.

I have a single tee time for Bethpage Black tomorrow @ 8:40amā€¦I canā€™t make it and about to drop it.

DM me if you want to coordinate and grab the tee time.

Visited North Jersey Country Club in Wayne yesterday with the Met Golf Writers Association. Overall, I enjoyed the course - the seven remaining original green complexes designed by Walter Travis are tremendous. Brian Schneider from Renaissance Golf is leading a redesign there to restore all of the original Travis features to the course, which had fallen victim to some bad revisions over the years that created some rather uninteresting features. I put a few photos on Instagram (@LeifSkodnick) if you want to check them out.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll be in NJ right near the Crystal Springs resort for a week in the beginning of August.
This is a family gathering and Iā€™ve never played golf in this area.
I am a 6.6. I may play somewhere by myself one day and go out with my Dad (he does well to break 100) on another day. Any recommendations - at Crystal Springs or otherwise, within an hour?

I played Ballyowen once and thoroughly enjoyed it, I canā€™t speak for the other courses at Crystal Springs or in the area.

1 Like

At Crystal Springs only Ballyowen and Wild Turkey are worth playing but they are insanely overpriced.

Not sure where the hour radius would take you but Mansion Ridge, River Vale and Architects are good options. Not sure if Rock Spring takes you too far but itā€™s the best public course in NJ (Raynor that used to be private but is now owned by the town)

1 Like

Played Wild Turkey and Black Bear just last week in a 36 hole day and Ballyowen about a month ago. I liked all three of them and didnā€™t think any of them were overly difficult. Ballyowen probably the trickiest of the bunch as itā€™s a linksy type course. Wild Turkey is rather wide open and I found it enjoyable. Black Bear youā€™ve got each hole lined with trees but theyā€™re all isolated so itā€™s a nice feel. All three were in really good shape. Iā€™ve yet to play the Crystal Springs course or Minerals, which is their 9 hole course.

Mansion Ridge is a really solid course but very tricky for someone thatā€™s never seen it before, is close to there (about half an hour north) and is in a similar price bracket as the Crystal Springs courses.

1 Like

Off from work to play at Rockaway Hunting Club. Never been there before, but heard itā€™s an interesting and fun Tillinghast layout.

1 Like

Rockaway is fantastic. It has a very Scottish links feel to it, very understated but a lot of character and a lot of fun. The middle stretch of 7-14 is top notch but donā€™t sleep on the inland stretch. 3 and 5 are excellent one shotters

1 Like

but can you hit a plane landing at JFK?

2 Likes

Anyone on here know anything about Suburban Golf Club in Union NJ? Vibe? Course?

I agree - I like the seaside, treeless linksy feel of the course. Itā€™s a little scraggly in places, but thatā€™s fitting for a course thatā€™s almost in New York City. Great green complexes and bunkering. Made par from a fried egg in the front right bunker on 3. Hit the street on 5 and had some difficulty. I thought 14 was a great par-3 too - it was playing into the teeth of the wind, so I had to choke down a driver and managed to get it pin high and up-and-down for par. Iā€™d definitely play there again. Well worth the trip.

1 Like

Not a long ride down to Rutgers. Itā€™s cheap, they keep it in (mostly) good condition, and (usually) you can get around in 4 hours. Phenomenal public golf option.

2 Likes

Rutgers is about a 45 min drive for me, so not all that convenient, but good intel. Thanks.

1 Like