Roll Call - Metro NYC

i never said to walk! LOL

What tees were you playing for

The mens tees. The par 3 after the par 5 on the front was BRUTAL. Such a mistake to walk, but IMO walking is the best way to experience golf and it gets my fat ass some modicum of exercise

1 Like

Gentlemen - not sure how many of you know about this but the Crystal Springs 6 round sampler is only $199 today (Black Friday) compared to its regular $299.

Did this last year its definitely worth it.

https://shop.crystalgolfresort.com/collections/golf-gifts/products/2019-sampler-pack

What courses are you into? Iā€™m out of bethlehem PA but spend half my time in clinton NJ. I remember that year! My brother and I played a few times around Christmas I rememberā€¦ love cold weather golf so much

has anyone played baiting hollow club? ive been on the hunt for a young executive membership in suffolk and they have an under 40 full membership for 5k.

Iā€™ve been on the same hunt, and Baiting Hollow always seems the most appealing to me at the right price poinrt. Although I have never played it am in Nassau so itā€™s a bit of a commute for me.

Checking in from Summit NJ - sorry BirdieBug, didnā€™t see this in time for you - moved from Hoboken last year. I typically Play a lot of the local muniā€™s + whatever other courses I can get a decent round on. Top of my ā€œmuniā€ list for next year are Heron Glen and Neshanic Valley.

Do you play just the Union Co. system? If you ever play any of the Essex courses, let me know. I play Byrne and/or Hendricks weekly. And Iā€™d definitely be interested in a trip to Neshanic.

I live in Essex County and havenā€™t been to those tracks in a good amount of time. From what I can remember Byrne is actually really fun, and Hendricks is pretty tight.

I played Byrne a few times this year since I found myself with some free time on weekdays. But donā€™t expect that to be the case moving forward and itā€™s tough to get a tee time as a non-resident.

Only played Hendricks once and donā€™t really remember too much about it to be honest.

Where do you play, GMN?

Byrne is a really solid course, IMO, and is usually the best kept of the 3 Essex Co. courses.

Hendricks is a bit boring, but it is much easier to get on - and much easier to play and walk - so I do end up there alot.

In any case, Iā€™d be up for getting an Essex Co. group together if others are interested come spring time. Letā€™s keep this chat active.

I am in the Caldwellā€™s. Definitely interested to see if we can get a group together.

1 Like

Will be in the Rye area this weekend, and was hoping to get some recommendations on courses to play if the rain holds off. My research shows Saxon as the best option, but wondering what else is out there.

Who is still around next week? NYC Refuge indoor outing would be a good ideaā€¦ anyone have a good call into the golf sims in manhattan? @MerchCzar come out and bring some gear.

Would definitely be interested in a meetup. If we get a mild stretch of weather in the city like we have in recent winters, flushing meadows pitch and putt could be pretty fun/convenient. Would love to see young neil get dialed in with his wedge game

Marine Park greens are still in pretty good condition played there on Saturday. Highly recommend the bar there afterwards, the regulars there are unreal.

1 Like

Been to 5 Iron a decent amount and itā€™s a cool spot for some golf and beers. Would definitely be up for something this week - am here until Saturday

Looks like Bethpage is going to limit us to just the Blue Course for most of the winter.

Part of Yellow is going to be used for the PGA

1 Like

Thatā€™s a shame, I think Yellow is such a better course than Blue. Itā€™s short, fun, and has some great original Tillinghast holes. Blue has some pretty bad holes.

3 Likes

Could not agree more. Besides 3 or 4 really great holes (from the original), Blue is way below the quality of any of the other 4 courses. If you ranked every hole on property, Blue would have 6 or 8 of the worst. Lots of guys used to shun Yellow because it was ā€œtoo shortā€ which would allow us to get around in under 4.5 hours on a weekend morning when it was least crowded. I know it can be brutal at times, but I miss Bethpage. Green was like my home club for years, with bonus rounds on black or red every couple of weeks.

2 Likes