Roll Call - Metro NYC

100% into this. Would be delighted to take a day off of work and drive out there to play.

3 Likes

Red is better than Black. You heard it here first.

1 Like

haā€¦ youā€™re not the first Iā€™ve heard that from. Red is very very good and itā€™s not a kick in the nuts like the Black is but Black is overall better. Starting on 8 though, the Red is sooooo good. Bit of a weak start (the par 5 5th is great though)

1 Like

Iā€™ve still never parred 1 on red after playing it dozens of times. Thatā€™s probably a me problem.

Yeah that baby is a beast. Iā€™ve played it more times than I could count and Iā€™m fairly confident in saying that I have hit that green in regulation no more than 5 times.

I think the Black is a better course, but I enjoy playing the Red more. Agree with @HibernatingBear, once you hit #8 the course is nearly on par with the Black from a design standpoint (#1 and #4 are great too). #15 is my personal favorite on the Red.

15 is a beast of a hole. I finally birdied it this past summer. I love the par 3s on Red, with 17 being my favorite. Itā€™s such a simple hole and comes at such a great point in the round. A chance to steal a birdie before you tee off 18.

2 Likes

18 at red is so much better than 18 at black

1 Like

Oh for sure!! Assuming everyone knows the story but the USGA seriously considered using 18 on Red for the 2002 US Open since 18 Black is by far the weakest hole on the Black

3 Likes

Hey everyone - first time posting as a new member.

Williamsburg based, Iā€™m a regular at 5 Iron (hit balls a 1-2 mornings every week) and recently started to visit Cinderella Story a bit in Williamsburg on the winter weekends.

Looking to join a club (Long Island most likely) this Spring if anyone has good recommendations. Iā€™ve had the chance to check out a bunch as well if you have questions (Lake Success, Sand Points, Muttontown, Seawane, Lawrence) and have been calling around/getting pricing on some others.

Have a car here, always down for a drive when things get a bit warmer.

2 Likes

Welcome and I am in the neighborhood, at 5i 2-3 times a week but usually mid-day, but maybe we can find a time to meet up, along with anyone else whoā€™s around / interested / a member. Iā€™m usually at flatiron, you?

As far as clubs I canā€™t comment there as much, but always up for a round around the city. I tend to favor weekdays given family weekend obligations which I know can be tough but if youā€™re ever up for a early round at Bethpage or a twilight round at ferry point, I try to get a round a week in that way.

Friends is a member of sands and really likes it FWIW, young GUI ~28/29

Whatā€™s the deal with Cinderella story?

1 Like

@Jack11211 It is a new membership club in Williamsburg. 2 bays, both are Golfzon simulators. Very differentā€”floor moves based on lie and has more euro/asia courses vs US.

Cheap base membership and then you pay for usage. The online booking is a mess, but usually reliable to call ahead and grab a time. Hit me up if you want to check it out at some point.

2 Likes

ANNOUNCEMENT

As appointed captain of the NYC Metro Subchapter of the Northeast Chapter of the RACDG (that was exhausting to write), Iā€™d like to proudly announce our first ā€œofficialā€ event of the 2020 season which will include a very special guest and fellow New Yorker (by way of the ATL) Mr. @MerchCzar.

The date and venue are below and I will come back with further detail once I have the number of people solidified. If youā€™re interested please add your information to the attached Google doc (my first time creating a google doc so let me know if itā€™s not working). Iā€™m going to close ā€œregistrationā€ on March 31st.

Please note: this will just be a set of back-to-back tee times but weā€™ll make sure to play some sort of game (maybe I can convince @MerchCzar to snag a few prizes from the pro shop)

When: Sunday, May 17th
Where: Rock Spring Golf Club
Time: TBD
How much? Greens Fee (~$89)
Deadline to enter: March 31

PS - Iā€™m working on another event for mid-June on Long Island and should have more information in the coming weeks.

23 Likes

At 9 people alreadyā€¦ letā€™s get it to 24

1 Like

And, as a reminder, for anyone on here that isnā€™t part of the RACDG please feel free to join and shoot me a DM and I can get you added to our Whatā€™s App chat.

1 Like

@Coop Iā€™m down you in?

Love it. Great job Chris. Thanks for setting this up. Iā€™m in.

All signed up. Iā€™m ready to show the Merch Czar what real speed is

1 Like