Roll Call - Metro NYC

Please do! I love having guests.

2 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

Iā€™m Westchester based and the Garrison has a Sunday morning no tee time needed for the back nine if you tee off before like 8am. Itā€™s a good walk with views of Hudson and West Point great alternative to 5 hour plus rounds.

Mohansic and Hudson Hills are super close to me as well so if anyone wants to meet up, Iā€™m game.

Happy to travel to other Refugees as well. Just give a shout

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great. Thanks for the info. Those course may just be a shade far for me (coming from BK) to do regular trips, but would love to get out there at some point. Will be in touch when the weather starts cooperating.

1 Like

dyker beach is hell on earth. 6+ hours every round. so glad to have joined a club in CT and go up there every weekend and never touch that shithole again

1 Like

Certainly donā€™t disagree. Iā€™ve had decent luck with early morning tee times (and they have an early morning back nine option on weekends that can be ok), but the pace of play is torture and they lost a bunch of greens late last summer. I do like a number of the holes, but overall itā€™s not good.

Welcome aboard! Iā€™m in manhattan but my golf mate (non-refuge guy) is in Williamsburg with a car, so we get out to MP plenty, Douglaston/Clearview, Jersey or Long Island. Will let you know next time weā€™re heading out.

2 Likes

Can somebody explain to me how Midtown Comics on 45th is still open?!?

1 Like

First time, long time here:

Iā€™m originally from CT and still belong to a club there (thank god for the family discount). I live in Williamsburg and last year was the first year Iā€™ve had a car in the city, so I really ramped up the golf. Mostly I played Bethpage, Bergen/Timber Point and Oyster Bay while occasionally playing some of the tracks closer to the city. I have some friends that play in the city, but Iā€™m really looking to play a TON this year. Iā€™m talking waking up at the buttcrack of dawn and getting in a quick 9 or 18 before work during the week.
I plan to ā€œget involvedā€ heavily on this page, so please reach out! Iā€™m also ready at the drop of a hat to play the pitch & putt at Flushing Meadows (especially at night during the week).

7 Likes

Similar to othersā€¦ First time diving into the Refuge after being a listener for quite awhile.

Full blown golf addict living on the UES. Managed to squeeze 45 rounds in last year, a personal record since moving to Manhattan just over 7 years ago. Trying to beat that in 2020 and so far off to a solid start with 6 rounds through Feb 2. Locally, I mostly play Pelham/Split Rock, which means I have grown accustomed to lines on tee boxes and 5+ hour rounds. The positive is that itā€™s a 25 minute Lyft away from the UES (split four ways, very affordable) and the ā€œPlayerā€™s Clubā€ is $30/month to join ($1/month for the winter) and knocks $35 off pretty much every tee time at either course. Playerā€™s Club bookings also come with a free drink and 50% off food. Thus far, the best option Iā€™ve found for those with no connections and no car.

Would love to branch out and play some rounds elsewhere (or just at Pelham) with NYC Refugees. Do we have some sort of WhatsApp / GroupMe for finding foursomes?

@Zocco I actually recently joined The Turn as an annual member. Wanted to see if I have the commitment to go more than 40 mornings in a year before I can commit to 75+. Went for an hour at 7:30 today and I will also be there Wednesday.

1 Like

The monthly membership works for me now since I go so often and usually alone, but I see myself backing off it once it gets warmer out.

What time will you be there Wednesday?

Makes sense! If I end up feeling like I can make a routine out of it, I may try the monthly next year. Also been keeping an ear to the ground on LoftLinks. Itā€™s Full Swing instead of Trackman, but E 87th would be very convenient for me.

This Wednesday Iā€™m signed up for 7:30-8:30 again.

Played Silver Lake yesterday in under 3.5 hours :eyes: if you like to venture out to Staten Island

In season Silver Lake is the home of the 6 hour round.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve only played there when itā€™s cold. I can only imagine how backed up that short uphill par 3 gets during peak months.

Iā€™ll swing by. Do you pay by the hour under the annual membership? I can reserve up to 2 hours off peak with the monthly and invite anyone w/o additional cost. Feel free to hit me up.

Iā€™ll keep an eye on Loftlinks as well. Iā€™ve been tempted to go to 5i because I just love the way their locations look, but it feels like more of a bar than anything else.

2 Likes

I would love if we could turn one of these places into a Refugee hangout lol

2 Likes

Iā€™m probably not the first person to say something along the lines of this in this thread, but I will be coming into town during the US Open week and would love to exploit someoneā€™s ability to get a tee time at Bethpage before a non-New Yorker like myself. I also suppose I would enjoy playing with a fellow refugee.

1 Like

does the turn have their liquor license yet?

Nope. Still not operating. But BYOB is fine as far as I know