Roll Call - Metro NYC

Was not aware of that, thought it was still online even before PGA. I stand corrected.

This is from their page where you make the tee times:

" The Black course will be open, weather permitting, from April 13 thru April 28 from 9 am to 1 pm. it is anticipated that tee times on the Black Course will be on a walk-up basis only. It is expected that normal play will resume starting Saturday, May 25.

1 Like

I live in West Orange and could not be more excited for Rock Spring to become public. I drive by it daily and have always wanted to play it.

A few developments since the last posts discussing it, the West Orange Town Council has passed all of the necessary bond ordinance measures to close the sale. From what I have read and heard, they are planning to have the course open for play this season. There is a 2-year agreement with a 3rd party contractor to maintain the course, after which other arrangements will be made, presumably. It is also expected to remain an 18-hole track for those 2 years, and likely to be converted to 9 afterward. No word on how that layout would work, but it makes sense that the 2 holes on the west side of Walker Road would be eliminated (just my own guess).

ā€œFrom what I have read and heard, they are planning to have the course open for play this season.ā€

Thatā€™s awesome. I heard about rock spring last year and wanted to check it out, then heard about the possible sale and change to a 9 hole course and was curious to the updates. Great that it will remain 18 for the time being.

If anyone wants to play that course when it opens let me know, Iā€™m in NYC so its a quick drive

Well, Iā€™m in, 100%. Letā€™s check back in here as things progress.

Iā€™m most curious about how exactly they are going to handle the access. There hasnā€™t been any solid info on that front. I assume it will be fully public, but will I be able to buy a town resident card, and will I have access to advance tee times, etc., as resident? Weā€™ll see.

that is correct for the plan as of now in terms of running it for 2 years as an 18 year old course. and i believe if they do plan to sell it, it would be holes 4 and 5, across the street for a senior living center.

The property along Northfield Ave. has also been cited as possible location for senior affordable housing, township public works facilities and other recreation facilities. No detail though. There are obviously lots of logistics to work out, especially traffic patterns.

Also in. Iā€™m in Summit - about 15-20 min away. Will be awesome to have another local course. Hopefully it stays a bit of a hidden gem for a while after opening up to the public.

Iā€™m in Jersey City and would be in for this as well.

Anything in the Albany area open?

Anyone interested in a round at Crystal Springs on Sunday? thinking around noon. supposed to be warm!

Edit: I will be teeing off Ballyowen at 11.50 am if any Refugees fancy joining.

1 Like

Fun course! Wish I couldā€¦enjoy the round!

Has anyone played Lido Golf Club? Iā€™ve played it over a dozen times, and never know the appropriate strategy for 16ā€¦

Note: 80% of the ā€œroughā€ on this map is actually marsh and your ball is dead. I usually lay up to the blue X but it leaves an undesirable second shot with a big carry over water.

Yes. Hereā€™s another view on the gps

1 Like

thereā€™s not another realistic option for me apart from going up the left side

1 Like

Hahaha yeah no way iā€™m taking on that pin with my second shotā€¦Iā€™d probably go 6 or 7 iron so I can carry the water comfortably and leave a flip wedge in.

This hole reminds me of Florida golf, and be quite the headache.

Iā€™ll be out there tomorrow!

what sucks is that the tall thick grass stuff that grows in makes it very hard to see anything. I canā€™t even see the island clearly from the tee when that stuff is in

its not even ā€˜grassā€™, but like big leaves

2 Likes

Well said, thatā€™s what really makes the hole challenging, these maps donā€™t do it justice because it looks like rough - in reality itā€™s far from it.

course%2002

this stuff, for those that arenā€™t familiar

a ball that goes in there is gone.

How are we supposed to plot out the best strategy for this hole without appropriate Temp, %Humidity and Wind Speed?

2 Likes