Roll Call - Metro NYC

I’m afraid the answer is until July.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I enjoy the back 9 on blue

2 Likes

I recommend Golf Manhattan to all in NYC. The new ownership has done an amazing job. Obviously trackman sims are your best option out there. I used to go regularly on my lunch break or after work. Moved to Texas last fall, but I still take friends there when I’m back for work. The private rooms are great compared to some other options.

It’s funny, I never really loved playing the Blue, and have knocked it here and elsewhere. I just watched a flyover of all of the holes to jog my memory of the flow, and there are so many more very good holes than I recall. The two big issues with the blue are (1) 9th and 18th holes are both awkward and really poorly designed, and (2) Par 3s are each good holes individually, but are way too similar to eachother.

• I consider holes 4,5,6,12,15 to be really strong holes - risk reward, variety, half pars, etc
  • Next, holes 2,7,8,13,14,16 are good holes as well.
  • Then, 1 and 10 are both fine - nothing special, nothing terrible.
  • Par 3s at 3,7,11,17 are just too similar
  • Lastly 9 & 18 stink.

I guess Blue is better than I have given it credit for over the years - I need to get back and play it again this summer. Whenever I am back, I usually just play Black, Red, and Green.

2 Likes

I love to hate Blue. However, there are some great holes. But I agree with @anon846171 that the par 3s stink. They’re all long(ish) par 3s that force you to carry the ball most of the way. It slows down the course because you’re an average golfer is not sticking it from nearly 200 out (3 and 11).

9 and 18 are bad holes. I’ve drank the #widthandangles kool-aid, and can justify that a well placed hybrid or wood off the tee sets you up for a short iron approach into 18. But I have no idea how to play 9.

1 Like

This has to be the most in depth write up of the blue course of all time, love it! I’ve gotten ejected on 6 more times than I can count.

2 Likes

I played Blue twice this week and have vowed im not going back to Bethpage until the other courses are open. Having the round of my year so far on Tuesday through the first 8, looking like I will easily break my target of 100 and get absolutely ejected on 9 carding an 11. I usually play Red and, while difficult, I rarely find myself in a spot thinking “well why the hell is this here”

Give yellow a chance.when it’s open

2 Likes

Yep played Yellow last year and liked it. Was unfortunate timing as they had just aerated the greens but it was still a good round.

Agreed. Yellow is great. A bunch of really good holes, and none like 9 or 18 on blue. Usually the best pace of play of the 5, as well.

2 Likes

Suffolk County golfer, highly recommend Rock Hill in Manorville. Such a gem.

1 Like

Much different than other courses on Long Island. Enjoyed the one time I played, some challenging holes.

welcome aboard fellow LIer,

Lots of Bethpage talk on here which I am INTO. I lived in NY for 14 years and now in New Jersey for the past 5 and somehow have never played any of the Bethpage courses. Most of my NY run was in my retirement from golf phase so never even tried. Now that I’m back deep in the game the last four years living in the burbs of NJ, it’s near impossible to get a tee time without being a NY resident or sleeping in my car in the parking lot which I’m not into.

Random shot out to the board, but if anybody can get a tee time on Black and wants to get a Refugee foursome together for sometime this summer, I am in and will even buy the beers.

1 Like

I volunteer as tribute…

Count me in also! happy to make the tee time too.

1 Like

A plan is coming together…@Tommo avatar makes me feel warm and fuzzy

The thought of getting absolutely EJECTED at bethpage black is a golf goal I’d love to check off the list

FYI:

In trying the short term I can play one of the 20th, 21st, 27,28. Just need to get on the reservation system at the right time.

FYI Bethpage Black isn’t making tee times online prior to the PGA. It’s walk up only. I’m happy to make tee times in the Spring when tee times start again. However, the days of sleeping in the car is over, it’s easy to make times online.

1 Like