Roll Call - Metro NYC

also shout-out to sprint. In a major city and I get 2 bars

3 Likes

Iā€™m bringing my morning dew guy to the pre-round range sesh tomorrow morning.

1 Like

have to get that spritz action going

Iā€™ve probably played Lido between 200-300 times, mostly 20+ years ago. We went to the beach right nearby, so when I was too young to drive, I played here a ton. Then, during HS and college, I had a deal with the starter that I could give him $5 and play as much as I want. I was sad to see him leave!

Regarding 16, I have played it pretty much every way possible over the years, and I would say @Junkman23 is on the right track. Iā€™m generally not great at course management or ā€œplaying smart,ā€ but this is one hole that calls for it, big time.

If you play your tee ball for roughly the blue X, you are hitting a 200-225 yard shot to the widest part of the landing area. From there, you donā€™t have any really easy options, but I prefer to aim again for the fattest landing area, which is essentially just short of the green. So, I try to hit about 190-210 yards directly toward the flag, which will usually leave a reasonable pitch for your third. I believe that is the best way to play it, unless you are relatively long and very precise with mid to long irons.

The big issue with the second shot, if you try to lay up, is that if you aim for the short end of the second fairway, to leave yourself an 80-100 yard 3rd shot, you are hitting a 9 iron or some sort of wedge from a strange angle to a very narrow strip of fairway, with a high likelihood of going long into the reeds. They have(had) a catch bunker there to try to help, but that is a crap spot.

Better players really donā€™t consider this a tough hole at all. Over the years, I have watched countless guys (and a few girls) just play a long iron or hybrid 225-240 yards up the right lobe of the island, then play a fairly routine approach to the green of 185-200 yards. Itā€™s usually a routine 2 putt birdie for these players. Unfortunately, Iā€™ve just never felt comfortable with that play (although I did it fairly often) to make it the ā€œgo-toā€ option.

This hole may be a much lesser version of the original that once existed right next door, but it is still a fun hole to try to navigate, especially if you have a few tries at it.

As mentioned, the height of the reeds (everywhere around the islands) makes a huge difference in visibility and confidence.

1 Like

I would hoping you would bite on this thread, remember you mention Lido elsewhere (maybe this thread even).

Glad weā€™re thinking alike, definitely a fun hole for sure and to navigate. The risk/reward for me isnā€™t beneficial taking a long iron because it can quickly become a scorecard ruiner.

I canā€™t wait to implement Wolf Hammer here, the multiplier will be great for 16, 17 and 18 at Lido!

1 Like

What do you guys think about the rest of the course?

Overall, I like it. 7 and 9 leave are shitty holes and leave a lot to be desired. I think these holes take the brunt of squeezing in a driving range, so I get it.

For sentimental reasons, I will always love Lido. Iā€™ll play it any time (except for a few days after a hard rain).

Analyzing the golf course itself, there are a few really good holes, a bunch of mediocre, and a handful of bad. Given a larger maintenance budget, it could be a bit better, especially if they could sand cap it and improve drainage. When it plays firm and fast, it can be a lot of fun. I agree that 9 is just an awful hole, under any conditions. On the other hand, I actually think 7 is a pretty good par 3, even if it is shoehorned in. A bunch of the lesser holes could be vastly improved with relatively minor tweaks, but that just isnā€™t likely in the cards there.

One thing I will say - it may be the best course in America for cross-country golf. You can play from one corner of the property to the opposite end, with minimal interference. Iā€™m sure it is rarely quiet enough these days to do that, though.

Whatā€™s your favorite hole? @Zocco too

I think the first hole is the best hole on the course. Itā€™s a little weak (for the better player) as a par 5, but it is a reasonable opener, where you can score, but has a very difficult (and pretty great) green.

The 4th and 8th are both pretty strong, but play too similarly.

The 10th and 11th are also good holes, requiring some strategy with tee ball placement for approach shot angle.

The 13th is also a pretty strong hole, mainly because there is enough room off the tee to be as aggressive as you see fit, with the approach usually still fairly difficult.

Holes that are ok - call them ā€œalmost goodā€ - include 5th (opportunity for an epic par 3), 7th (minor tweaks could make it great), 12th (add a little interest to the drive - maybe a center line bunker), and 14th (awkward, crammed feel, but actually a good, strategic hole).

I go back and forth on whether the 17th is a great hole or a terrible hole. Again, the tall reeds make the visual so difficult that they change the way the hole plays.

What have I left out - 2nd could be pretty good with changes to the greenside bunkering, 3rd can be fun, but it is not good, 6th is close to being an awesome cape hole, but itā€™s just not quite right, 15th is ok (bitch into prevailing wind), and 18 is decent. Again, the 9th sucks ass.

1 Like

For anyone interested, here is an aerial of the original Lido. It was right next door, just West of the current course. If you look at a current aerial and find the water next to the 2 baseball fields (just west of the canal), you can line it up with the water on this old photo to see where it was.

2 Likes

This is awesome and what the Lido Design Competition is named after right?

Side note, these conversations are why I hold The Refuge so close to my heart. Nowhere else on the internet (rare even in-person) can I have a thorough discussion about Lido like this!

1 Like

someone designed a replica of the original Lido on GCA for the golf club. Not sure if he ever finished it though

1 Like

Iā€™ve played Lido a bunch. Iā€™m all in on 17. If the wind is up thereā€™s no rest for the weary after coming off 16. The front 9 is where to score because itā€™s mostly cookie cutter dog legs. The back 9 is always fun. Just wish the town would let someone run concessions. Itā€™s a waste of a great clubhouse. Iā€™ve since moved east from Long Beach but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll play Lido a handful this year

They are making a lido 2.0 in Asia

Agree with everyoneā€™s comments about Skyway - definitely the most fun/best maintained public course Iā€™ve found nearby - w.in 25 mins. If you can, book it earlier in the week if you want your choice of weekend times - it fills up quickly.

Anyone have good recommendations in Bergen County (Iā€™m in Englewood)? Iā€™ve been playing with the local county card for the past 4 years, but itā€™s getting tough to tolerate >4.5 hour rounds on rain soaked courses that most other players feel like they donā€™t need to take care of - I mostly stick to Overpeck, Orchird Hills (for 9) or Darlington.

Even thought Iā€™m a big fan of public golf, Iā€™m starting to think itā€™s time to look at private clubs in the area that have good under-35 memberships.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations public or private (that wonā€™t run me 50k to walk in the door)!

Iā€™m told the Francis A Byrne Golf course doesnā€™t stink. I havenā€™t been there, but you should check it out and report back

Francis Byrne is fun, couple others Iā€™m trying to check out In the area. Getting a round on Essex Cc would be unreal

I canā€™t believe Iā€™m just catching up on this thread now. I live about 5 minutes away from Lido and try to play it pretty frequently. I have a love-hate relationship with Lido. The conditions drive me crazy. I like to try and play 9 holes after work in the Spring there. I can walk 9 holes in a short period of time, or play multiple balls. I found the conditions to be improving last year after the Town of Hempstead took it over. I have visions in my mind of Lido becoming a great muni, but the conditions didnā€™t hold up late last year.

As far as the layout, I find most holes to play the same. Elevated green with bunkers on both sides. Reminds me of Eisenhower, which is kind of lame to me. There are some great holes, however. I think the 5th (short par 3 along the water) is a good hole, as is #6, which is all about strategy off the team.

As for #16, Iā€™m never sure what to do. Iā€™ve hit hybrid up the right side, or 3 wood up the left. The issue is that the wind always factors into the tee shot, and Iā€™ve tried to lay up with hybrid and flown it into the water by mistake.

Iā€™ll probably attempt to squeeze in an afternoon Lido round later this week.

3 Likes

check out Forest Hill Field Clubā€¦ 25 mins from you. I am not a member there, but a good friend of mine is and I played it 3x last year.

Seems to have a nice young membership, and it is a fun Tillinghast design. Math wonā€™t ever work out vs just playing public golf, but depending on your budget I donā€™t think FHFC breaks the bank.

Another one Iā€™ve never played but have heard good things about (and reasonable affordability) is Suburban Golf Club. Prob like 30-35 mins from you.

I live in JC so play Skyway every now and thenā€¦ i like the layout and they do a great job with course conditioning, but the pace sometimes (most of the time) is a nightmare.