Roll Call: Massachusetts

My bad. haven’t played in years, quirky but good time back then. What’s the deal now?

Haha I just hate that track with a passion. It’s the least fun I’ve ever had playing golf.

Greetings all,

Joining the community in the hopes of rustling up some late summer/fall golf rounds with folks here. I was new to Boston mid 2020 and am just looking for some good competition and community. Handicap fluctuates around scratch and I usually pursue a few qualifiers each summer. Courses I’ve stuck to so far are George Wright, Butter Brook, and Brookline (or Putterham as I’ve learned it’s traditionally called).

4 Likes

What are you doing on Saturday? Have 2 spots left.

That sounds like it’s gonna be a blast, but unfortunately I’m out of commission for this weekend with another obligation. Thanks for putting this out there, though - I would love to catch the next one.

2 Likes

Anyone interested and available to play Bass River on Sunday with @CrucialTaunt and myself?

Also, would love to hop in on the MA group chat if possible.

2 Likes

Just moved back to the Boston area after growing up here. Getting back into the golf scene, public of course. Any course favorites of the Refuge these days? Any particularly great values?

I’m in downtown Boston, so I’m assuming I’ll have to drive a good ways outside the city for most decent places.

George Wright and Franklin Park are going to be your best bets close to the city. I would also suggest Putterham in Brookline as another option, but it gets pretty wet when it rains and it’s going to be out of use for a while next summer due to the US Open next door.

1 Like

The Boston munis (George Wright, Franklin Park (aka William J. Devine)) are excellent and a solid value… bring an ID with your new address for the resident rate… For South: South Shore Country Club is a great value, D.W. Field is a real fun muni that’s gotten a lot nicer over the years, the Plymouth courses (Pinehills, Waverly Oaks, Crosswinds) are all nice if up for a drive and able to spend a little more (I prefer Waverly)… For West: Sandy Burr is solid save 1-2 holes, Wayland CC is a pretty boring/flat layout but a good value and is wide open and usually in good shape (fun to play if you are with beginners or people who don’t play as much), Butter Brook is an excellent layout - just beware of mandatory carts before 2 on weekends, Putterham (Robert T. Lynch) is just ok but they have a solid range and the best fried chicken sandwiches… For North: a bit more of a dead zone for public options… Black Swan is decent (first 4 holes are a bit funky), Gannon is solid but hard to get a weekend time, Campbells in NH is fun and is an easy drive up 93 but maybe a little far… Will also say Fresh Pond is a fun option in Cambridge - especially for a quick post-work 9

4 Likes

Trull Brook and Four Oaks are good public options in the Lowell/Dracut/Tewksbury area

I have a 12 man Ryder Cup event next weekend Sept 9-12 in Rhode Island. Newport area. 2 guys just bailed today so looking to fill 2 more spots. Let me know if anyone is interested. 18 Thursday afternoon at Green Valley, 36 Friday at MeadowBrook, 36 Saturday Newport National and 18 Sunday AM at Exeter.

1 Like

For north:

• Meadows in Peabody is decent and usually in good shape

• Beverly Golf and Tennis has always been a fun layout for me, but conditioning isn’t always awesome, though I haven’t been in years

• Portsmouth Country Club (NH) is a bit further out but a great track

• Ledges in York ME is also good

1 Like

I played Marion for the first time over the weekend. Delightfully quirky little course.

6 Likes

Actually Caddied for one of the investors that bought it and it seems like they are really trying to fix it up and make it one of the top 9 hole tracks in the state and hopefully the country. Already a noticeable improvement on the greens from a year ago.

1 Like

The greens had just been punched but even then were in good shape. Some nice slopes on a few of them. Can definitely see that the place has good bones.

Playing Waubeeka and Berkshire Hills this coming weekend. Mucho excited.

Anybody have recommendations on bars / eats around either…??

The MoCA in North Adams has a good brewery with a cool spot - https://www.brightideasbrewing.com. Theres one bar in Williamstown that was decent. Not sure what’s down near Pittsfield. Waubeeka is great. There’s a quirky 9-hole down the road called Donnybrook. Tight, hilly, hairy, great views. Good with a bunch of beers.

Check out Shire Breu-Haus within 15 minutes of Pittsfield. Also go play Wahconah if you have time. It is where Bobby Jones played his last hole.

Ye olde forge in lanesborough on your way down to pittsfield from Williamstown

forge wings - hot - crispy

Any refugees want to play Willowbend on Cape Cod this Saturday at 11:40? Shoot me a dm. Have some openings and looking to play!

1 Like