Roll Call: Massachusetts

I usually play Falmouth and Cape Cod CC each yearly with some friends. CCCC is so quirky, it’s a good time. Agreed on the monster par 3s though, I’ll often have shorter second shots into some of the par 5s than tee shots into the par 3s.

Falmouth - yeah, nothing special. A few holes that make you think a little, but the place is so flat.

1 Like

I played Red Tail for the first time about a month ago. I thought the conditions were actually pretty solid, but I think we were coming off a few days of rain. On the back nine there were a few holes that were more exposed to sunlight where the turf was baked out, and not really in a good way. (Can tell they don’t treat those fairways any different than the tree-covered ones that were soggy.) The layout didn’t really do much for me. A few fun holes, but not much that stood out against other upscale public courses in the area. Happy I played it once, but I can’t say I’ll be ponying up $125 to play it again.

Pace was definitely not great. The friend I was playing for had a hard out after 5 hours 30 minutes and we nearly ran up against it.

There are a few bunkers that are meant to be driven through. The huge one on 17, in particular - the cart part leads right into it and comes out on the other side. Maybe that’s what he saw?

Howdy fellow New Englanders,
A FYI that The Golfers Journal event at Hooper GC this September has sold out (in less than 3 hours).
But if you didn’t get a chance to sign up you can reach out to TGJ (via the link below) and jump on the waiting list.

1 Like

Get involved Massachusetts!

1 Like

Anyone down to play 18 at Olde Salem Greens tomorrow at 11:28??

Sooooooo… can someone please organize an event out on some of those courses on Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Cape Cod… would be effing sexy as hell. I’ll buy a ton of Brooks Brothers to represent I swear.

I know it’s more Maryland related… but I’m seeing the event called Holy Shirts and Pants…

I’d like it to be Fall 2022… 3-4 days sounds nice… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I really enjoyed Cape Cod CC. First thing that stood out were all of the elevation changes, made for some really cool approach shots. In particular, the approach on the 14th hole to the volcano style green was awesome. Greens were playing really firm with some big first bounces, which turned a couple would be short birdie puts into scrambling to save bogey from over the greens.

Only downside was hearing form the starter that the ownership group recently received phase 1 approval to tear the course up and turn it into a solar farm. Its not a done deal yet, but he made it seem like the big hurdle was getting through the initial approval stage. Really bummed me out, as this would have been a fun and unique course to play each year when visiting family on the Cape.

I loved the walk to 10 green. You look left and see the volcano green on the hill for 14, and then then 15 green on the hill behind that. Really cool visual that showcased the land and things to come on the back 9.

Bummed for sure that they’re closing. A local said maybe a few more years in operation before it all goes down–but with the recent approval it looks quicker. The family claimed it was not a sustainable business, which may of course be true. However given the uptick in golf with COVID as we roll out of the pandemic, it is too bad they can’t give it another go. It’s already a great track, with great bones, and a little capital investment could make it a staple on the cape in an area lacking good public golf. Will definitely be a loss.

1 Like

Agree with everything you said, except for the “area lacking good public golf”. I think the Cape actually does pretty well on the public golf front. Each town has 1 or 2 munis and I’ve personally enjoyed almost all of those courses. Captains, Old Barney, Bass River, The Dennis courses, Highland Links, Bayberry are all worthy spots.

3 Likes

The Cape has a sneaky good collection of interesting and fun publicly accessible courses. Each year I visit, I find new ones that I look forward to playing again (been going for the last 7 or 8 years so I have a bunch more I need to play!).

1 Like

Sorry, specifically I meant that part of the cape–Wood Hole/Falmouth area generally. Certainly good courses on the cape.

Gotcha - cant disagree with that. CCCC is definitely the best in that area by a wide margin and will be sad to see it go. My understanding is that there is going to be AT LEAST one more season after this and we will see how things work out

2 Likes

Love 14 green into the 15th hole. The 13th is fun too - if you smack one (from the back tees) you can have a flip wedge into the par-five.

Defend your honor Massachusetts. The land of the Yankees, Rangers, Giants, Jets, Islanders, and Mets is calling y’all out.

FWIW, Keney is supposed to be sick.

1 Like

Trying to find a way to make it work with child care and my wife being out of town but this event looks fantastic. Love Keney Park!

2 Likes

What’s up Mass crew, dipping in in hopes of a recommendation from you all. Meeting in Greenfield this morning and then will be catching up on stuff this afternoon and getting some degree of south and east to stay the night before moving onto Rhode Island for a meeting tomorrow morning. Can really stay anywhere but I was thinking greater Springfield area. Any courses I should try to snag a tee time for this afternoon anywhere on the 91 South / 90 east corridor?

The Ranch Golf Club in Southwick. Solid track.

2 Likes

Sounds like The Ranch is your spot. Fun layout and not too far out of your way by 91/90 connection.

1 Like

The Ranch it is! You guys work quickly. I don’t care what they say about you Massachusetts folk, you’re good people (kidding, kidding, my Dad’s from Williamstown).

2 Likes

If you can’t get out at the Ranch, Crestview in Agawam is a fun course.

2 Likes