Roll Call: Massachusetts

“Massachusetts folk”

We prefer the term MassHole

1 Like

Haha, I didn’t want to be too bold in my first foray here. Appreciate the recommendations. I’ll be back through and will keep Crestview in mind.

Well shit, if I hadn’t fucked my hands up, I’d come meet ya.

1 Like

I’ll drop you a line when I’m next headed up. Outfit planning will begin posthaste.

1 Like

Reporting back on The Ranch, great recommendation! Looooot of land movement out there and a fun layout. Cool vibe at the course, finished up the round to the sounds of live music and good times. Could and did get myself in some bad spots around it but balanced it with a couple birdies which I thought represented the tone of the course quite well. Wound up playing with a member who said it used to be a top 100 public in the country but had lost a little momentum. Still, fun layout in good shape and would definitely play again.

7 Likes

Playing GreatHorse for the first time on Sunday. Anyone got any reviews? I heard the course is solid but what really makes the hype/experience is the clubhouse/amenities. I’ve seen tons of pics and have heard nothing but good things just curious to hear from the refugees.

2 Likes

Never played but it is a place ever since opening I’ve wanted to try and play. How does one even get out there? I don’t know anyone personally who has played there. Is it only member invites or is there other ways to get out there?

My cousin works with a member and I have been shamelessly asking him to invite the two of us out haha

1 Like

One of the amenities on their site is a Challenger 350 rental. They’re located between Springfield MA and Hartford CT. WTF is this place??

Edit: apparently they also have a yacht… though clearly photoshopped and not an actual picture. Where the fuck are you driving a yacht to in Hampden???

2 Likes

I’d bet both “amenities” are basically a way to have the owners have a plane and a yacht and get some tax deductibility out of it. I’d bet the “member usage” of these two is about zero

1 Like

Yea my cousin claims that if you are a member you get to use the plane for $0 but I’m calling BS on that one. Will report back and let you know if there is a yacht parked in a pond off one of the greens :joy:

1 Like

That would be wild. I’d bet you can use the plane for $0, as long as the flights are ones that the owners have already planned (and are on)!

1 Like

The mass mid-am was there last year. Feel like someone would’ve mentioned seeing it.

Ha no chance! Operating costs on that thing for an hour would eat up a year’s worth of dues!

1 Like

Playing GreatHorse on Thursday next week via ThousandGreens. Will report back. Been on the list for a while, since I’m only 20 minutes away. The private clubs in the area also have a summer long competition against each other so if you’re a member of one of these, you can sign up to play them that way as well.

3 Likes

Had myself quite the week with Brookline on Monday, Winchester Tuesday, Old Sandwich Thursday and just to humble myself and make sure I didn’t wet my beak TOO much came back home to George Wright today. To me I feel like OS is kind of the one nobody knows about? First time playing there for me and first time playing a Coore Crenshaw. Dare I say… almost overrated? Classic Coore Crenshaw they moved dirt on the first hole to clear the tee shot and make a hill on the side other than that no land movement. There are a couple of clunky holes oddly enough the drivable par 4 might was probably the worst hole IMO. But the par 3s and 5s are spectacular favorite hole is the drive and pitch 2nd which was unbelievable. And it is a great golf course but for all the hype that was around it I was a touch disappointed. Can’t exactly tell you why. But certainly a very cool place to visit if you get the chance the locker room and bar might be the best part of the experience. Just stumbling across TB12 and Tim Wakefield’s lockers as well as Brad Faxon and Ian Baker Finch with so many others. Also if your a hockey guy Ryan Whitney is another name that you’ll find. Overall about as good of week as you can have in MA.

Par 5 10th one of the best out there. If they were all like this I think this place would be my favorite I’ve played but just a couple of weak holes for me.

2 Likes

Those are three incredibly hard to get on courses, how’d you line them up in one weekend?

Bold move playing OS, your first CC, and calling it classic and overrated at the same time, ha. Your opinion of course, but I’d play a few more and compate-contrast.

I’m headed out to a wedding on Cape Cod at the Chatham Bars Inn in a few weeks and have never been to the area before, don’t really know the lay of the land. Looking to fill time while my wife has bridesmaid duties with some golf and was hoping anyone with knowledge of the golf scene out there can help me out. I’ve heard good things about heading up to Highland Links and also been told Chatham Seaside Links is a fun little walk right next door. Any advice would be huge.

For public tracks, Cranberry Valley is probably your best bet that is close by. Highland Links will be a bit of a drive, but also worth it. Captain’s is a great 36 hole public course to play, but pace of play will likely be rough on a weekend morning.

There are some awesome private tracks there that are tough to get on (Eastward Ho!, Cape Cod National, for example).

1 Like

Yeah I would second @CongratsOnTheSix . I prefer CV over Captains just because of pace of play, but both are fine options for public tracks.

1 Like