Roll Call: Massachusetts

It’s a little out of the way for you but it is technically on the drive- The Ranch in Southwick MA is a pretty solid public track in Western MA. Rates are very reasonable too.

3 Likes

If you are already going through Plymouth Waverly Oaks > Pinehills imo… The Ranch or Keney Park are probably more along your route than the Plymouth courses though. If you have a specific reason to come up through the South Shore I’d also recommend South Shore Country Club in Hingham.

Very much this. It’s worth the quick detour up 91.

Oddly enough, Newport National might be on the way. It’s a quick detour into Newport from Providence. Caveat with I have not played it, but I’ve only heard great things. Pinehills is fun, especialyl if you spend some extra time hitting balls/practicing, but it may be more worth it to go to Granite Links given the detour required to get out to Plymouth.

Depending on the day/time there are also mostly private courses that offer public tee times. Agawam Hunt, right outside of Providence, is a fun track with public tee times last time I checked. I can’t speak to conditions, but it was great many years ago.

1 Like

What general route are you thinking of taking? That kinda defines the different options based on what part of the state you’ll be driving through.

Thank you all for the recommendations! I will report back! We are leaning towards The Ranch of Granite Links (feels like a cliche but hey you never know).

1 Like

Pls do the Ranch and not Granite Links. Grant Links is NOT worth the money (other than the view).

6 Likes

I played Shennescosset a few weeks ago. It’s in great shape and is a really cool course. I like George Wright too. Very different courses – Shenny has the views of the Thames river that can’t be beat and is more wide open and linksy while George Wright is through the trees. Both recommended. I realize that on golf.com list GW was #3 muni in the country and Shenny was unranked. I think that the gap between them is MUCH smaller than that would indicate. Shenny had some great Ross greens and is fast, firm, and fun but less of a championship test.

1 Like

pay half the price and get the same views at presidents

2 Likes

Granite Links has been eliminated, seems like mostly all of the locals in the thread think it’s overrated

I’ll always ride or die for DW Field in Brockton

4 Likes

Home of my career low :wink:

1 Like

Jerk

1 Like

Love Shenny. Great 19th hole too! Meadowbrook in RI is also not a bad stop.

NY is calling out Boston. I believe the quote is “insufferable humans”. Step up and defend your honor.

3 Likes

Hello I hope you are all sitting in cape traffic coming back Monday when you are reading this.
Finally pulled the trigger and made the trip out the ranch. 90 bucks have to take a cart. Course is…meh?? Somewhat interesting layout where you kind of working up and down one massive hill on both the front and back. You end up way up and on 9 and 16 you have straight downhill 500 yard par 5s that are somewhat awkward holes. Other than a few other clunky holes but not too bad. Disappointed with condition though. Nobody has ever heard of replacing a divot or a pitch mark. Bunkers were washed out but too be expected to with the rain the past like 3 or 4 days. Overall do I need to drive 90 minutes and pay 90 bucks for that course again? No. If I lived out there would I play it? Sure.

We’re booked for Red Tail, reviews seem to lean towards “great layout, conditions meh” so I’m curious to see what kind of shape it is in.

Hey guis,

I am visiting my in-laws on the cape this week and have two open spots this Thursday (July 8th) at 7:40am at Cape Cod CC in Falmouth. If anyone wants to join let me know!

3 Likes

My coworker just played Red Tail yesterday and his report back to me was not good. 2:30 pm tee time, 18 with cart was $110 I think he said, and boy oh boy was he disappointed. Said there were areas of dead turf everywhere and that it no where near deserved the price tag attached to the conditions. Also said the place was jam packed and the round took over 5 hours. Also said the group in front of him drove through a couple of fairway bunkers. What in the hell is going on at Red Tail these days? I played it 3 or 4 years ago and it was great, but I have heard after last season it has really taken a turn for the worse.

Played twice this weekend. Course is a good shape–greens are awesome even if they could have been running a little faster. My only complaint is playing the blues (a reasonable 6185 yards for a par 71) have you playing a 250 yard par 3, 200 yard par 3, and 200 yard par 3, all on the back 9. They could use to change it up a bit.

Otherwise phenomenal layout, best public golf in that immediate area. Falmouth CC is trash, Ballymeade or whatever it is now is overpriced and underwhelming, Brookside is quirky but probably second best options and well conditioned.

1 Like