Roll Call: Maryland

I do believe it wouldnt be much worst than when it is CPO. That can make for a long round.

Wet but playable out at Challedon this morning. Lipped out birdies on 17 and 18 that would’ve gotten me below 80 after making 4 consecutive doubles and a bogey on the front, which was sick. Got around in 3 hours and the course was looking good. Getting into prime season here.

Played Fairway Hills on Saturday and was the course was in decent conditions for April.

I believe on the most recent nest pod a Maryland event around the BMW in August was mentioned. Has anything been posted in the events thread/details provided? I started scrolling the post titles and then gave up and figured it was faster to come here an ask.

Hope to see again or meet for the first time many of you for that (or sooner on the course)!

Yeah, they’re playing the BMW at Caves Valley in Owings Mills this year. Aug. 23-29.

1 Like

No details yet. There is an events spreadsheet here: EVENTS CENTER (Master Schedule, Map, Event Playbook & Planning Form ) that indicates there will be some sort of NLU event (most likely brought to you by our good friends at BMW, the Ultimate Driving Machine) connected to the PGA in the Baltimore area.
I imagine there will also be a separate post in the Events thread once things firm up.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I was wondering. Hadn’t seen but was curious if anything was posted yet. I’ll be returning from a golf trip 8/22 so if there was something to get on the calendar sooner is better.

Yeah I also would very much like to be a part of the festivities. I’ll make sure to cross-post anything I see to this thread, and I’m hoping everyone else will do the same!

Any thoughts on ClubCorp clubs (Norbeck Country Club, for example)?
I looked at the membership sheet, and some simple math tells me it costs around $5-10K for a person for a golf only membership.
Anyone know if they have one of those young executive memberships? Not sure how ClubCorp works…
Edit: I found a fact sheet from 2015 and they do have one for people 39 and under, but it’s still about $5K. Was hoping they had something cheaper…

Bumping this to see if anyone is interested in gathering for OHC II?

2 Likes

I might be interested if we can work out a date. My only fear is I have yet to play with my blades and persimmons yet.

1 Like

There is nothing to fear.

1 Like

Not going to lie. My insecurity is flying high with the thought of playing with someone I’ve never met, on a course I’ve never played, with a set of clubs I have yet to hit! But I’d give it a try. It looks like it’s not a team event, but rather play with someone so that you each verify the other, correct?

2 Likes

That’s correct. But it’s really just for fun and some nice swag.

1 Like

I’m a member at Eagle’s Nest, which is a ClubCorp property. I’ve never played Norbeck, but have always wanted to. I actually kind of like the corporate nature of the club, even though I think there are probably some drawbacks. I don’t know what they charge at Norbeck but I started out paying about $450 a month and now pay about $650 (because I turned 40 a few years ago) but that’s for a family. I can, for just a cart fee, play any club in the ClubCorp network (which includes Norbeck). I’ve done it a few times back when I traveled regularly and that was great (you also get free rental clubs). They give you half off on all your food (but not alcohol) which is nice. It’s always a bit of a sting when the bill comes each month, but I love being able to get out and play seven holes in an hour if I want to.

During the early part of the pandemic, they closed the course for two months but still charged us (which was infuriating) but they actually put out word that they didn’t care if people still used it to play, plus gave us a full credit for the months we were billed. So we got to use the club AND get credited the money we paid. That engendered some goodwill from me.

I’d recommend if you can swing it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!
I guess a big part of the advantage would be to have less people on the course-do you find that Eagle’s Nest doesn’t get as mobbed on the weekends / do you end up playing more over the course of the year?

I’m in.

1 Like
2 Likes

Playing The Woodlands this weekend. Has anyone played there this season yet?

I played there last weekend and the greens had just been punched. Tough to putt but they have everything else in great shape. I was happy with it.

2 Likes