Roll Call: Maryland

New to the Refuge. Bryan here, checking in from Baltimore. Play an 18 hcp but working it back down. I played Diamond Ridge (same property of woodlands) a few weeks ago and it was in good shape.

9 Likes

So we have the beginnings of a group for OHC2. Anyone else want to join. What say you, @RobertHunter?

When are we supposed to turn in a score?

1 Like

It says “submit a score within the month of April.” So I’m assuming it has to be played and in by April 30th. Which as much as I’d like to play, that’s going to be difficult. I played last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and I’m playing again this Saturday and Sunday.

I’m in this same boat. BUT … I have a 1:20p tee time on Saturday at Falls Road just above DC if anyone wants to make the trip down. Shorter course that would be great for vintage clubs

Anyone ever used a rental beach chair and umbrella service at OC?

Trying to get out of bringing all the chairs and umbrellas and I’ve got to imagine they have some companies that do this.

There’s a bunch yeah - almost every street downtown (Inlet - 28th St.) should have plenty of options, and then north of that they are a little more spread out. Will’s Beach Service comes to mind in particular (orange umbrellas).

Usually, my family stays above 150th street and for a few years rented from the renters on the beach, before buying our own. As with everything else in OC if you are there for a week the amount adds up. I would also look at the places that rent bedding/sheets for condos, I believe you also rent chairs and umbrellas from them might a little cheaper than doing a daily rental on the beach.

For those who were golfing 17 years ago…do you plan on golfing or should I just leave the east coast for a month.

1 Like

Naw it’s fine. Played hs golf every day in it 17 years ago.

Can I say something about Hayfields? The par 4s are boring. There were 10 of them and I hit 9 drivers from the one ups. I never felt like I had to be strategic off the tee and only a couple times were bunkers really a worry. Om the other hand I don’t think I hit the same club into two par 3s, the par 5s are diverse and the 18th is an awesome finishing risk/reward & quintessential local knowledge hole. It’s an absolutely beautiful property to be sure. It’s almost shocking how close it is to 83.

2 Likes

I have to admit, my first reaction to this was “woah…this guy has lost his mind, hayfields is stellar”. Then I started recalling all the great holes from times I’ve played there. And I realized, every memorable hole was a par 3 or 5. There are a couple of fours that I would disagree on but in all honesty, you’re right. There are few decisions to be made off the tee on the 4’s and other than a couple where you’re keeping it right of the water or trying to decide how much to cut off (hole 10) they are not really memorable.

Good take.

1 Like

Those of you on the MD WhatsApp group have heard this already.

I’m unapologetically telling everyone about making at Albatross last evening in league on #9 at pine ridge. 7W from 224. I’m still in shock. My daughter was my partner and got to witness it which was very cool.

11 Likes

Damn! Congrats. Have to love the 2 net 1 on a par 5!

1 Like

Going to play Gunpowder in Laurel this weekend, and saw on their website they are a walk-on-only course. Has anyone run into any trouble with showing up and not being able to get a tee time? Kinda surprised they don’t offer tee times.

When you get there you will understand. It’s been a couple years, but it is a “golf course” in a loose sense.

2 Likes

I have played there before, but I went after work on weekdays so there was no problem getting on. Figured that with Covid and everything they would use tee time system now. I get what you mean @KVV , but I did have my first eagle there on number 2

posted in our chat, but cross-posting here. A few openings if anyone wants to play around Bmore the next couple days. Let me know if you’d like to claim.

Rocky Point, Friday 220p, 2 spots open
Mt. Pleasant, Saturday 10a, 1 spot open.

Can I get in the What’s App chat?

1 Like

Here is an invite link to the DMV what’s app group. Pretty sure this is what @sjdowne was referring to

Nah. You’ll be fine. Its super laid back. Very short course with plentiful elevation change and yes I think you are better off walking. I don’t even think you want a push cart there. It gets real rugged at times.

1 Like