Roll Call: Maine

I grew up in Maine, live in Boston now. My in-laws have a place in Bridgeton and my folks still live in Belgrade. So I am up playing in the area regularly.

I’m playing Old Marsh next Thursday (5/19) anything I should know?

I’m a member at Old Marsh.

Been open for the season since April 1. Got a new super this winter and course has been okay so far. Greens have been kind of slow to start, but they’ve fixed a big time fairway issue from last year. FYI that they started aerating this week.

It’s tight off the tee. Lots of trees and the back runs through the housing community. A few tips for some holes:

2 - Can’t see the flag from the tee. Hit up the right side to avoid a blind approach.

3 - Short par 5 but can be a tough second shot. I like going at the greenside bunker on the left with hybrid.

7 - Fairway runs out at about 250 off the tee. Wouldn’t even hit three wood; hybrid or long iron is fine. Tough green to hit, a lot of balls end up short.

9 - Best line off the tee is over the bunkers on the left.

10 - Take a hybrid or long iron at the big bunker straight away.

13 - You can cut the corner and go over the trees on the right. Fairway runs out shorter than it looks.

14 - Driveable par-4. Play to the right edge of the green and let it run up. Huge waste bunker up the left side.

16 - Take it over the edge of the marsh for the best line.

17 - Not really a tip, but this is the biggest green in the state.

1 Like

Thanks for the great tips!

What time is your tee time? I’ll mention it to the shop so you can get a discounted rate.

Thanks, Im there at 1:30 on 5/19 with my father in law and my wifes’ uncle

1 Like

Well no Arundel today…tested positive for covid this morning.

Siiiiiiiiick

1 Like

I’d be down to Sherpa you next time you’re able to come up and play.

Id love that, at this point ill probably just book a random tee time and drive up for the day. Its only 1.5 hours

1 Like

Sending it up to Portland next weekend for a bachelor party that isnt a bachelor party (we dont need to unpack that). Gonna book Arundel for Friday late morning and then gonna do Great Chebeague on Saturday.

1 Like

Awesome! Don’t think I can take next Friday off to join you but you’ll have an great time nonetheless.

Chebeague is sick; the 7th hole is unreal.

Im legit trying to just hang at the course all day, get some games/one clubs/what have you going.

I gave her a call but my understanding is its pretty casual and i shouldnt worry about getting less then 8 people out?

I think it’s $50 a head for unlimited play there. Tourist season is just now kicking off so hopefully it’ll be on the quieter side. I don’t think you’ll have an issue getting your group out.

1 Like

Anyone got any insight into the Chebeague ferry situation? I can buy round trip tickets for $18 per ticket but there’s also a 10 ticket book that’s available for $60. Would I be better off just grabbing two ticket books for 9 of us to go over rather than divvying or am I missing some fine print?

CC @GaryK8

Are you looking at Casco Bay Lines for the ferry?

Chebeague Transportation Company

If you’ll be in Portland, I would use Casco Bay Lines. The Chebeague ferry should be like $11 a person round-trip. Only thing is I don’t think you can buy in advance online.

Never used Chebeague Transportation Company, but sounds like I would go for the ticket book if you want to use them. I know you have to park and take a bus to their dock though, I think the lot is in Cumberland.

The woman from Great Chebeague recommended it I think because that ferry drops you at the course rather than on the other side of the island. I might call her and ask her opinion about the ticket book situation cause she was super cool when I spoke to her.

1 Like

I would definitely do that then.

Arundel booked…unfortunately theres 5 of us so had to book a 3 and a 2

1 Like

Awesome. Hope the rain Friday holds off for you guys.