Roll Call: Maine

Any other Mainers out there?

4 Likes

It doesn’t appear so.

4 Likes

Damn dog. Sorry about that. Hopefully it’s just because of the winter time. Maybe you’ll catch up with some soon though man.

Mainer here. Gorham. You?

Biddeford-Saco

I am headed to Maine in a few weeks and getting out to Cape Arundel. I am beyond excited to see the place, it looks incredible on many levels. Anyone ever been there?

Place is awesome. I’ve played the front 9 twice (never have enough time to squeeze in 18) but it is an incredible course. It’s an easy walk. Great photo tour of the course if you haven’t already seen it:
https://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/cape-arundel-golf-club/

2 Likes

I’m from Mass but have a campsite in Naples. I play Bridgton Highlands just about every Saturday from mid May to October.

1 Like

I have played Cape Arundel 10 or so times. One of my favorites. It’s fairly short and wide open but the greens are tough. You can have some really tough chips if you miss the greens in the wrong spots. Well manicured and the staff have always been very nice. Well worth your time and money to go play.

1 Like

Heading to Portland for a Friday wedding, staying over Friday and Saturday nights. Was going to try to get out super early Sunday AM at Sable Oaks, but it looks like they closed down. Is there any other good public spot nearby? If not, should I try to get down to Cape Arundel early Sunday for 9 holes? Do they do 9 hole tee times on the weekend? @jquentin seems like you’re the go to Maine/Cape Arundel guy.

Unfortunately Sable Oaks was closed, although there are rumors that it may comeback, as the the deal for the housing development that was supposed to be built on top of the course apparently may have fallen through. So stay tuned! I checked Cape Arundel’s website and it looks like they do have a 9 hole rate. Assuming you are on your way home Sunday morning and are looking to play south of Portland, The Ledges might be another good option that has a 9 hole weekend rate.

1 Like

Robbie, unfortunately Sable is closed. Check out None Such River in Scarborough or Dune Grass in Old Orchard. Riverside in Portland is also an option for a fun Muni. They have 27 holes and it’s pretty cheap.

1 Like

Whoa, Nonesuch looks cool. Especially if I get out there super early on Sunday AM, might be in for some spirituality. That’s looking like the play. Thanks! If anyone’s around and wants to sacrifice sleep, feel free to join.

Looked up nonesuch tee times the night before and the only available time was 6:09 am, so I bailed on the morning round. Did stop at cape Arundel on the way home to take a few pics.

7 Likes

Nice pics! Cape Arundel is a gem!

2 Likes

Thanks! It looks badass, I absolutely want to get up there and play it soon. Could be a beast with some wind and firm conditions, the greens look nutty.

It’s a fun track. Good golf and a great porch is what you get. No frills. I don’t even think they have any food besides steamed hot dogs and peanut butter crackers They do have the best 19th hole ever…a member stocked community beer fridge in the men’s locker room. Help yourself. No charge.

1 Like

OK, this time I am actually booked for an early morning Maine round. Saturday, 6:55 AM at Kebo Valley on MDI. Has anyone ever played it? I know it’s one of four Herbert Leeds courses, and I’ve been lucky enough to play two of his others (Myopia and Bass Rocks) and have absolutely loved them both. Kebo looks a little more tree-lined than those, and obviously public, but I’m still super excited.

1 Like

Kebo is old school. You’ll love it.

1 Like

Great golf course. Some say it’s the best in Maine. I have it in the top 3 with Belgrade and Portland. Northeast Harbor is another great course on MDI that you could check out sometime.