Roll Call: L.A. County (Rustic Canyon and the Coachella Valley are not in L.A. County)

Hi All. New to the board. Are Sandpiper, La Purisima, Angeles National or Brookside worth playing? Looking to try some new courses.

4 Likes

Welcome! Sandpiper is a lot of fun. Really unique. Oliva Links near Ventura is more entertaining than the others youā€™ve listed, but Brookside can be a fun spin.

3 Likes

Angeles was fun for me (some people despise Nicklaus designs), but unfortunately itā€™s waaaay overpriced. I think it was $135 standard, $95 twilight.

1 Like

Seems like we are getting some new blood, so if you are interested, sign up here to join the Southwest (basically LA) chapter, DM me your number and I can add you to our Whatsapp group.

2 Likes

Welcome! Where do you normally play?
Piper was good but not spectacular. Soule, Ojai and Olivas are well worth playing.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve played Angeles National and didnā€™t hate it, but itā€™s a typical Nicklaus design - tight and prescriptive. If youā€™re not in the 50 foot square space youā€™re supposed to be in youā€™re in trouble. And the scrub off the fairway is very penal with vegetation everywhere eating balls (Iā€™m a wayward driver at best so got to intimately know the scrub!). Having said that, there are some fun shots and some fun holes and its in pretty good condition. I liked the clubhouse too.

I also saw a coyote that day just strolling across the fairway, so that was a buzz.

1 Like

Is it that much now? That is overpriced. I think I played it (3 years ago?) for $75 9as an out of towner on like a Wednesday morning).

Itā€™s a pretty good course, the main thing holding it back is that the out of play areas are off limits so if youā€™re not hitting it straight it becomes super penal.

I think Sandpiper is an OK course that is massively overpriced because it is by the ocean. If you can get a decent rate, itā€™s an enjoyable day because playing golf with ocean breezes (and occasional ocean views) is great. But thatā€™s as far as I can go.

La Purisima is a wildly quirky course, one I really enjoyed, but quite a haul even from the SB area. If youā€™re out that way, youā€™re not too far from Monarch Dunes, which has a wildly fun 13 hole par 3 course. They have a regulation 18 hole course too that looks good, but I havenā€™t played it.

Laz noted Olivas Links, which is a great value in the Ventura area. Within a mile of the coast, though you canā€™t see it. Looks linksy, plays linksy in the summer months at least. Really good in the afternoons when the wind comes in off the ocean. But even in winter when it gets wet and soft itā€™s still a solid course.

And canā€™t forget the Ojai area. Soule Park is awesome and a bargain. Ojai Inn in more expensive and bastardized from what it once was but there are still some fantastic holes there and you can find good deals for an afternoon round there.

3 Likes

If you play Brookside, Iā€™d recommend the Koiner course over Nay. IMO a better layout and more forgiving.

1 Like

@Lazstradamus
@anon68983737
@Slasher
@The_Cad_Says
@jsupkim

All,

Thanks for the intelligence. I normally play a couple times a month at Rustic - love it like everyone else. Since living here Iā€™ve also played:

• Olivas - good course; a little soft for my liking
  • Santa Anita - fun, old school course; surprised me
  • Soule - Good solid cours
  • Ojai - property definitely has magic; wouldnā€™t call it a George Thomas anymore but still fun. Would love, love to see it restored as much as possible. Canā€™t be fully restored

Laz - thanks for the info. Iā€™ve definitely got to get to Sandpiper. Itā€™s gorgeous plus Iā€™ve heard the golf is pretty good.
BMR - Yeah I think youā€™re right on the pricing. I love courses with scrub and barrancas. Canā€™t wait to try AN
Slasher - Iā€™m a Rustic guy normally, but looking to play everything worthwhile around LA
Matthew - Thank you for the wealth of information. I know Purisima is a haul, but Iā€™ve got to play there. It looks really cool.
JSU - Thanks for the tip on Brookside. Ever since I saw it from the blimp during the Rose Bowl I knew Iā€™d have to play there. Cheers

2 Likes

Olivas is where Iā€™ve played about 85% of my golf, and the rest divided up throughout the 805. Iā€™d say everywhere is playing a little soft because of the recent rains, but Olivas on a summer afternoon is anything but. Currently, Soule Park is my home course and probably my biggest recommendation to get the most bang for your buck. Ojai Valley is usually in good shape, but, as others have mentioned, unless you score one of the Groupon deals, itā€™s hard to say that itā€™s worth the money, especially if your game isnā€™t exactly ā€œdialedā€ that day.

1 Like

If anyone is over in the Coachella valley the next week, let me know. Iā€™m down here for the holiday.

Anyone have someone in the area that theyā€™d recommend for lessons?

Iā€™ve been to James Jordan for a couple lessons. Nice guy & a great instructor. Teaches out of Woodley Lakes.

If you want to drop 3 hundo and get super squamdow scoobie with a BMF wa BAD go see GG. :sweat_drops: :sweat_drops:

1 Like

Iā€™ve taken lessons from Monte Scheinblum in Oak Creek, great guy. Thinking about going back to him.

trying to avoid this. Thought about doing his online but Iā€™ve never had lessons before so I need in person.

James ainā€™t cheap either. I forget what I paid for the hour but it was ballpark $150. Well worth it IMO.

Looks like heā€™s up to 3 bills for an hour as wellā€¦

have heard the guy down at arroyo trabuco is good. you also got john lepak formerly of the big break in the la habra area, and dana dahlquist down near long beach but he may be in the same price range as gankas. no shortage of great teachers in greater LA ( jamie mulligan at virginia cc anyone?) just more about what youre willing to spend.

Not sure who youā€™re referring to at Arroyo Trabucco in OC, but I took lessons with Mike Block and canā€™t put into words how great he is. Would highly recommend him if you can squeeze into his schedule.

In preparation for the Duel to End The Decade with my adversary @Lazstradamus, I will be playing a practice round at Soule Park on 12/30 at 12:16. If anyone would like to join me, 3 spots still open per the website booking.

2 Likes