Roll Call: Kentucky

What about The Bull, or I guess it’s called Boone’s Trace now, in Richmond? Might run through Richmond visiting family and hit up Gibson and Boone’s Trace while I’m there

Last few times I’ve been to The Bull, it’s been progressively worse and worse shape. Not unplayable, but bunkers effectively gone, rough like a backyard, etc. The area around the course gets more and more nice houses built every year though.

Hope it’s not going the way of Old Silo… that was the beginning of the end for it when the course maintenance went downhill quick

Longtime Lurker/First time poster-

Lexington here, but played a lot in all the surrounding counties.
Boones Trace was in solid shape last spring, i believe it is hosting the Barbasol Monday Qualifier too so you’d think it’d be above average once the weather gets better.

As far as Lexington Munis go i wanna toss this hot take out there - Picadome > Lakeside/Tates Creek.

Looking to join a club (im sure many of you Lex folks feel the frustration of decent/affordable public courses) for 1500-3K with all benefits, if anyone is a member of a club in the area/has strong feelings or recs please let me know.

Also let me pile on the love for Dale Hollow State Park. GEM of a place, good architecture - some template holes, the cape hole immediately comes to mind

3 Likes

Boone Trace is a fun layout. Kinda wild terrain. I think it can be kind of polarizing, but worth playing to see if you like it.

1 Like

@ThePerfectFlub I am from Louisville but travel to Lexington in the fall a lot for football games. I’ve played Picadome quite a few times before tailgating and absolutely agree with your take.

Also, giddy to see Dale Hollow for first time this summer. Going down there for my bachelor party. Got a cabin on the water, renting a boat, and playing the course once. Hoping for a good time.

1 Like

I’m originally from Wilmore but I live in Knoxville now. Not sure on prices, but if I had the money to join I’d go with Keene Trace. You get 2 great courses, one of them hosts a PGA event and the other is my favorite course to play on an every day basis.

1 Like

havent played Keene Run yet and was thinking access to Champions might be limited or tough during peak season with the tour stop. Spring Valley GC is the leader in the clubhouse right now but need to go play it, havent been out there in a decade+

@DerekFerch oh man enjoy Dale Hollow! Used to have a SOLID buffet/restaurant at the state park/lodge. May wanna BYOB/or make a trip to TN, booze laws/dry counties are pretty common down that way!

1 Like

By way of an update, here are the contenders in play for our trip:
UK - hopefully both courses
Houston Oaks
Griffin Gate
Kearney Hills
Lakeside Golf

Any major pitfalls with any of these? Probably need to pare the list by one or two.

I’d cut out lakeside first

1 Like

I agree Lakeside would go for me first, list looks good though!

Lot of people in my group liked Houston Oaks. I wasn’t as high on it but remember it being solid.

Haven’t played Griffin Gate or Lakeside. Of the rest, I’d pass on Oaks first. Kearny would be my must. While I haven’t played it, I’ve heard enough good about Griffin Gate that I’d make sure you get there.

Kearny is fun for sure, need to get back there. Was VERY worse for the wear my last trip around

I would cut Lakeside and UK - Wildcat

Nice list…

• You’ll enjoy both UK courses (although Wildcat can get a little beat up because of so much play)
  • Houston Oaks is a must
  • Griffin Gate is a scorers paradise, some of my lowest rounds are from that track.
  • Kearney is my favorite course in the area (Pete Dye design)
  • Ditch Lakeside
  • Sub in Golf Club of The Bluegrass
1 Like

Yeah if you are just doing one at u club big blue is where you want to be

2 Likes

Ditch lakeside/wildcat course
Sub with GCOB/Boone’s Trace/Cherry Blossom/Peninsula

2 Likes

In Louisville by way of Elizabethtown and Danville (100s of rounds on Elizabethtown Country Club and Danville Country Club).

Just met and hung out with the Superintendent from DCC. Pretty cool dude. Ready to get back home and play there

It’s a great track for ruralish Kentucky. If you’re looking for a competitive round there The Butler is a great invitational and very well run