Roll Call: Kentucky

We ended up picking a house on Bardstown Rd in the Highlands, thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like we will NOT be going to 4th Street Live, although that local joint, Hard Rock Cafe, looks very charming…

4 Likes

The only good thing about Fourth Street is you are allowed open containers. However, I think they allow open containers because the bars are so boring you can’t even finish your drink.

Reach out if you have any questions while you’re here.

1 Like

To follow on to the Louisville question - I will be in town the last week of March for a wedding and have a tiny window in the morning when my fiance will be getting ready with the wedding party - are any of the close in courses good for a walking 9? Doesn’t need to be fancy just want a nice walk

I would go with Seneca as probably your best bet. First few holes are a tough walk but the front nine there has some really good holes. Seneca is public golf course / park with good views/scenery However, if the weather is going to be nice it will be a loaded tee sheet, might be tough to get on.

I would agree, Seneca is the best public course “in town”, but will be a sloooow round on a Saturday morning. If you’re just looking to to hit golf shots and a walk in the park, I would suggest Cherokee.

Hello folks. Wisconsinite here in search of some recommendations. A group of 8 of us will be travelling to Lexington in mid-March with our eyes set on lots of bourbon and lots of golf.

I don’t know the first thing about golf in Kentucky, much less any tracks in the Lexington area, so I figured I’d go straight to the source.

Top 5 options?

Kearney Hills is a personal favorite. Greenbrier CC is private, but worth a call, maybe they would let a group from that far on. For a cheaper muni, Gibson Bay is in Richmond, about 20 mins south, and would be a good option.

1 Like

We do a yearly outing in Lexington at the University Club, home course for the UK team. Two courses available, Wildcat and Big Blue, both pretty fun and good bang for buck, greens usually in good shape, especially Big Blue. Griffin Gate not bad option, along with ones @Showtime mentioned. Kearny is fun but a little bit of a drive if you plan on doing drinks on course. Woodford is close for Bourbon. We usually hit the main Goodfella’s Distillery location, good pizza, lots of room and tv’s. West 6 and Country Boy both cool spots too with good craft beers.

Good intel - thanks!

You’re going to miss live horse racing :disappointed:. Keeneland’s spring schedule starts in April. If you ever want the full Lexington experience, you have to do Saturday afternoon at the horse track, then a night UK football game, then hit up the bars. Nothing better than mid-September in Lexington.

Agree 100%. Lived there for 5 years, the keeneland / football Saturday combo was the best, it was a total marathon

1 Like

Lived my whole life in KY until moving to TX about 6 yrs ago… was catching up with some buddies the other day and heard that Old Silo closed! Man what a shame :confused: in its prime, there was no better public course in KY (imo). I knew it had gone down hill but thought they were still hanging on… and was hoping a Corp would come in and revitalize it.

I second Kearney, a very fun Pete Dye (I believe?) course, very fun and challenging layout. University Clubs two courses are usually in great shape and a good test, Cherry Blossom in nearby Georgetown is also very nice. Haven’t played Gibson Bay yet but plan on making it that way soon, have only heard good things. Enjoy Ky and make sure you hit up some distillery tours while you’re here!

1 Like

The last two years it was open, Old Silo had gone so far downhill. It was so sad to see, was such a fun track when they had it going.

University Clubs, particularly Wildcat, can get ragged sometimes in my experience. Great facility though. I’m not a huge fan of Cherry Blossom, some swear by it.

1 Like

Shame about Silo. Tate’s Creek still up and going, first place I ever played. Buddy of mine asked two girls behind us if they wanted to join up, wasnt my proudest sporting moment,

1 Like

I played Old Silo once a few years back. Made the 2 hour drive one summer day. Three things stood out to me: 1.) What a good layout. I can see why it was once raved about. 2.) Grass was growing in bunkers had me somewhat in awe based on prior reputation. 3.) No disrespect to anyone, but I got to the course at like 7:30, on a Saturday, hoping to be first one out and play solo. No one got to the clubhouse until 8ish and I got paired with 3 guys. They actually were good dudes, but I could have probably turned in about an hour quicker flying solo.

Keeneland, UK Tailgate, and going out after the game. Its called the Holy Trinity.

1 Like

I grew up on Gibson Bay as I lived about 300 Yards from the clubhouse. One of the best kept secrets in Kentucky. A really tough test and great conditions. Greens fees would be 50%-100% higher if it was in Lexington or Louisville.

1 Like

I get why Silo couldn’t make it… you gotta want to get there. Situated awkwardly east of Lex but not close enough to Ashland.

But then again Plantation stays in fine shape and you about have to intentionally get lost to find that place.

Really thought that the reputation of Old Silo would keep people coming.