Roll Call: Kentucky

Come, come… represent your state!

1 Like

Signed up and pumped! I am playing there in 2 weeks.

Any other Kentuckians going?

2 Likes

sick sick sick

We have @Steen and @philipjunior representing HCC from Bowling Green so far. With us preparing for a 72 player field, this is going to be the largest Roost event we’ve hosted and one of the larger Refuge events in memory… in y’all’s state! Would love to see some more Kentuckians #getinvolved

Check out the link below for some more info

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17TxB-jIJU_J9yXQ6nmiHVzjaUjsgh6GT/view

2 Likes

I’m from Louisville and have signed up. Can’t wait. I’ve got to be in Nashville next week and hope to play the course for the first time on my way home.

3 Likes

I’m in and can’t wait! I’m an HCC member too

3 Likes

Here to pick the collective minds of yall. I travel for work and am looking to play golf in each state of the SEC. I have a weekend in Cartersville,GA and wanted to know what the best course open to the public that I could get on just over the TN/KY border would be in Kentucky. Appreciate any advice!

Park Mammoth is right over the border. But which part of TN/KY are you at?

Edit: On my list to play in KY are the ones through the state parks. That could be Dale Hollow Golf Club and Wasioto Winds Golf Course.

I am staying an hour south of chatanooga, so id be driving straight up from there

PM is an hour north of Nashville off of 65 outside of Bowling Green, so that would be a pretty decent haul. Not sure how far away it would be drive time, but Dale Hollow is probably closer. I’ve personally never played there though.

I played Wasioto about 17 years ago, I liked it a lot… but, it’s in Pineville though, not sure how easy/direct of a route there’d be from Chattanooga? I imagine Dale Hollow would be a simpler trip.

1 Like

Morning.

If your pro can call, Cartersville, Coosa, Dalton CC or The Farm would be my recommendation for private. Public Barnsley or Nob North.

1 Like

The golf scene isn’t great between London and Knoxville. If youre going north on 75 I would recommend Three Ridges in Knoxville

Hey, y’all - three buddies and I are meeting in Lexington for a low key, early season golf trip next April. I’ve done a fair amount of research and usually do too much to the point of paralysis. So wanted to see if y’all could held me finalize the list.

I for sure want to play Kearney Hill and Gibson Bay. I was planning to play Meadowbrook as an opener our first day but also saw a recommendation for just playing the front 9 at Connemara - thoughts? Then I’m really looking to decide between Big Blue, Boone’s Trace and Cherry Blossom. What say you all?

Bonus question: we’ll be there during the Final Four and Championship game; what’s the best place to catch the games?

1 Like

Where are you staying? I would skip Connemara even though I love it.

A double header at U Club of Big Blue and Wildcat would be good.

I’m no longer in Lexington and haven’t been on the property in at least 20 years, but unless things have changed drastically in that time (doubtful), Meadowbrook is very very very much a beginner’s par 3 muni. It’s great for what it is (a course for beginners, kids, old folks, and people looking to get some swings in) but there is nothing out there that will add much value to your trip. I’d strongly recommend you do the front at Connemara instead.
Otherwise, I’d probably lean toward Big Blue just to save on time in the car but you’ll enjoy your round at pretty much everywhere you’ve mentioned.
I’m not the guy to ask about bars any more lol. Probably KSBar or somewhere. Be advised if Kentucky is in the F4 you’ll need to claim a stool somewhere at about noon on game day.

2 Likes

Agreed on Meadowbrook, I haven’t played in 8 years or so (I did make an ace out there, but i refuse to count in as an actual hole in one), but it was hitting off mats with not great greens. It’s where we would go if we had 2 hours to kill before baseball practice in college. Front 9 at Connemara and Gumbo Yaya for dinner would be what I would do.

Love that Gibson Bay is on your agenda, I grew up about 500 yards from the first tee and its where I learned to love golf. It’s always a good test.

As for Final Four viewing, my recommendations always lean towards breweries. Either West sixth on the projector or Mirror Twin is where I would go to watch a game.

1 Like

We did a trip to Lexington a couple years ago. We played Kearney, Griffin Gate, Cherry Blossom, and Houston Oaks in two days. Golf was around $200 total. If I had to drop one of those it would be Griffin Gate

2 Likes

I’ve heard Old Silo in Mount Sterling (about 30 minutes west of Lexington) is good. Anyone have thoughts about that? Drakes is a good place to watch games

1 Like

It’s been 2005 since I played it, but I loved it then. Heard it fell on some hard times, but I can’t speak to it now. Houston Oaks was also a favorite of mine back then too.

2 Likes

Y’all swayed me. Meadowbrook is out and I’m leaning towards Cherry Blossom being a definite. Updated list:

Kearney
Gibson
Cherry

Sounds like Houston Oaks is getting some upvotes. I saw that one on a couple lists but it was hard to find any good photos of it. I’m probably between that, Big Blue, and Boone’s Trace.

Would any of those provide uniqueness or good variety compared to the others?