Roll Call: Kentucky

Awesome intel, thanks! I may have to make a late tee time due to my wife’s schedule dictating when I’ll be able to play but I can’t imagine a flexible single would have too many issues on that front. I’d actually prefer playing with randoms in this scenario to learn more about the area. Looking forward to it.

At the moment I have been given some suggestions around Lexington Ky and Knoxville Tn. Any thoughts on these courses? Kearney Hill Golf Links, Island Pointe GC, Gibson Bay GC or Griffin Gate GC. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

As highlighted many times on this thread, Kearney is great and will always be a fun round, so its a definite play.

Between Gibson Bay and Griffin Gate, I would say that Gibson is a much stronger value. Griffin Gate will be 2x the cost for a round, and for me, as soon as I have an opportunity to hit a house with a not absolutely horrible tee shot, my enjoyment goes down significantly.

If you’re staying in the Lexington area for a while, the Kearney/Griffin Gate combo is solid just due to proximity. But if you’re leaving or coming in from the south, I think Gibson is a perfect stop. Be sure to make a stop at Dreaming Creek Brewery after your round!

1 Like

Thanks a bunch.

Probably should have planned it for today, but I’ve planned a quick day trip to play Big Blue this Friday.

First time playing it. Looking forward to it.

3 Likes

Get ready for the full Arthur Hills experience.

2 Likes

Happy Masters Sunday folks!

Less than a week out from the first event in the state of KY for @HighCottonClub , and we are looking to fill two spots for #TheBarnBurner at Kenny Perry’s in Franklin on Saturday, 4/16. First tee time is set for 9:02.

27 holes with lunch, a bracket style shootout to a floating island green afterwards, and more… Check out the Events thread or shoot me a message for more info!

Nevel Meade was worth the drive out of town, great conditions like you said & I loved the back 9 especially. I played Friday morning at Seneca GC and that was awesome, $20 to walk 18 and super solid for a muni. Talking to some locals it sounds like that gets played a ton and I assume it can be annoyingly busy at times but I caught it on a good day despite crappy weather. Looking forward to coming back in a few weeks for Kearney & Big Blue.

1 Like

I just hope that we can all agree that 16 at Nevel is a dumb hole.

It’s dumb but I liked it. Would’ve been better if there was a steep slope coming back into the green, rather than a massive hill away from the green that throws you ball into the abyss when you inevitably hit your approach long. It would probably be a little tough to artificially build a massive hill there though.

18 is a fun finisher but whoever cut pins yesterday is a sicko. If you didn’t hit the cup (middleish of the green on that ridge) your ball rolled 6 feet down and you got to try it again.

1 Like

16 is so bad at Nevel.

On Seneca, I believe I heard a number a few years ago of usually around 60k rounds. I don’t think any other course in Kentucky touches 50k and wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t see 40k. Just unreal numbers over there.

2 Likes

Main reason I decided to join one of private clubs in town is because of Seneca. Truly a great public course but if you didn’t get one of the first handful of tee times on the weekends, you could pretty much bank on a 5+ hour round.

Same as 16 at Nevel I think #1 at Seneca is an awful golf hole @nicke93.

Then that private club was busy all the time too. Golf absolutely boomed in Louisville during the pandemic. I hope you guys like Midland and I expect to play it when I am in town again. That’s one I never got on!

I’ve never been out to Midland either. Always heard good things (unless it rains a lot). I’ll make it there at some point. I still need to play there, Big Spring, Lake Forest, and LCC.

1 Like

Midland layout is great. The main gripe is speed of the greens. Always seem to be slower than they should be. With it being down in that valley surrounded by Floyd’s Fork, it takes more time than others to dry out.

Can pretty much set your watch to a 3:45 or less round, even on the weekends. That is probably the biggest positive of the place.

2 Likes

Midland member here too…Holler if you’d like to play and I can hook it up if our schedules line up

1 Like

Best Public Courses in Louisville/So. Indiana area (IMO):

Nevel Meade, Heritage Hill, Chariot Run (IN), Oldham County CC, Champions Pointe (IN), Covered Bridge (IN), Old Capital (IN), Henry County CC, Seneca GC, Charlie Vettiner, Bardstown CC (Maywood), Hidden Creek (IN), Elk Run (IN), Weissinger Hills

1 Like

I would toss out Sultans Run as well in Indiana. It’s a little further away than the others roughly 1 hour from Louisville.

Public golf in Louisville needs to be better. They have always needed a public course thats not run by metro parks. Private golf is great in my opinion.

1 Like

As a former resident - public golf in Louisville is really good. Want to see poor public golf, I invite you to visit Atlanta…. Tough scene :man_facepalming:t3:

1 Like