Roll Call: Kentucky

Correction, public golf IN Louisville is not that great. All those courses listed by @Douger23 and only 2 of them are IN Louisville. Seneca is very good but they have so many people playing a 5 hour round is a good day. Vettiner, if you are off just a little bit can be very difficult.

2 Likes

Or go play Cherokee before Malcolm Gladwell comes in and tears it down.

1 Like

Played Mammoth Park today… my goodness. Headed back tomorrow to play again and sign up for the trial membership they’re running.

4 Likes

Men’s Metro at Vettiner this year could be CARNAGE.

What kind of shape will it be in? I played it last July and it was not great.

That is a big time “keep the ball in front of you” course. You can hit a bunch of 4 and 5 irons off the tee. It is definitely a fun layout.

What time are you playing? I joined a tee time in the afternoon, I’m excited to play it I’ve been waiting ever since the new owner bought it.

1 Like

Vettiner was one of those courses that when I first moved to Louisville would just sneak out and play the front 9 after work a couple times a month and I never could understand why people said it was so difficult (aside from the uncomfy tee shot on 9). That was until I played a full 18 for the first time… The back is a ball-breaker

1 Like

Waiting on some news from the vet before I can head up there, just waiting in limbo

I was unaware of the history, I had just seen it since Brian Ross started working on it… It exceeded my expectations in every way. I’m buzzing to get up there today

1 Like

I used to play it probably 3 times a week twilight rate was 12 bucks haha. I can’t wait to see it

1 Like

Got the all clear from the vet… let’s have a day. Enjoy yourself!

A lot of times they’ll dump workers and resources to the site hosting the tournament. Last year, Shawnee was in great shape for the tournament.

Vettiner recently has been in really good shape (public course standards) besides the bunkers which are damn near unplayable. Hopefully they’'ll figure that out before the tournament end of June.

@nicke93 there are so many tee shots that make me anxious out there. If I play in the Metro I’ll probably hit tons of irons and hybrids and try and take 6 or 7s out of play.

2 Likes

I think public golf in Louisville is probably average it just suffers from being compared to Lexington (one of the most accessible and affordable municipal and public golf cities you’ll find) and Northern Kentucky.

1 Like

We just moved back to Knoxville in October and I forgot how good public golf can be. Did a $40 a month range pass at the local muni and if I get there around 4, I hit a bucket and pay $10 to play until dark. Usually get 18-27 in at least 1 day a week.

2 Likes

It’s been 10 years, I could’ve argued Shawnee was the best public course in Louisville. It’s the only one I used to play back in 2009-2010

Hey y’all, just wanted to reach out on behalf of the High Cotton Club and see if anyone is interested in coming down to the recently opened Park Mammoth Golf Club for one of our Roost Rodeo’s on May 22nd. I’ve yet to be down there, but the course looks amazing and we’ve had multiple groups out in the first 5 days since opening. Tee times start at 12 PM and it is a 6 hole match play format where you play a match against each member of your group. Feel free to reach out to myself or @leftysauce if you have any questions!

3 Likes

Played Big Blue over the weekend and while it was a solid course, the conditions of the greens really hurt the overall experience. Looks like they just aerated which is understandable given the time of the year but putting was awful. Tee to green, course was in great shape but it was impossible to sniff the hole from more than 8 feet out, balls were just bouncing everywhere. I’ve played plenty of aerated courses where that wasn’t the case so I’m not sure why this round stood out so much. Beyond that, had amazing steaks at Tony’s, chicken sandwich at Bear & The Butcher, and pizzas at Mirror Twin Brewing.

You guys had great rec’s for my two weekends in KY, thank you & please pop in to the WI Roll Call if you come up to our neck of the woods.

2 Likes

Love the logo! Wish I could make it down…Who is running that course?

@leftysauce is the SME on that, I’ve personally yet to be at the course since it just opened last week. He has been 3 times already and has a little more inside info on it. It should be noted that a hat and T-shirt with that logo are part of the registration fee for the event for anyone who is interested!

2 Likes

Architect said it’s a single guy with pockets from Bowling Green…allegedly he had a spat with someone at club at Olde Stone and instead of paying a portion of his disputed bill, he bought 300 acres of land & hired people to build his own course.

Completely unsubstantiated, but that’s what @leftysauce & I heard when we were there opening day…

Fwiw, we met the owner, super, Pro, GM, multiple employees (starter, agronomy crew) and one of the architects - everyone was extremely friendly and genuinely giddy that the tee sheet was full (it’s been pretty much full everyday since they opened)

3 Likes

if anyone in BG has enough fuck you money to do it it would be an olde stone member

2 Likes